Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Dissociation?

Default Dissociation?

Since late last year I've been getting these moments at night where my body goes numb, my head feels heavy (and it feels like there's pressure inside of it, or I get a headache), I can barely concentrate, I feel paranoid and ancy, I get soo tired even though it's not even late, and I feel like I'm having an out of body experience. Strangely enough, one of the symptoms I'm getting is the feeling I'm going to fall off of my bed. I'm posting this here because during the last handful of episodes I've had with this, I felt violently ill after. It's always at night. At first I thought I was feeling out of it because I felt cooped up in my house, but it happens whether I went for a walk that day or not. Then I thought it was because I'm always in my room at night, but going downstairs did nothing.
    Anyone else experience anything like this? I can't see my psychiatrist for a while. I'm sure if it's just an anxiety thing or something's actually wrong, but it's a terrifying feeling made all the worse by me feeling extremely sick after.
    Last edited by Maige; 06-09-2015 at 10:24 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The knowledge that you one day will conquer this fear, it fills you with determination.

Default Re: Dissociation?

Are you awake when this happens? I experience occasional sleep paralysis where my mind wakes up before my body does. It feels like a ton of pressure on my body pushing me down into my bed, or sometimes like I'm falling freely. I can't move, I can't talk. I try to scream and wake up my fiance but he almost never hears me. It's a very stressful experience and sometimes when it happens the stress/anxiety can make me feel a little bit sick but after moving around a bit this usually subsides.

Quote Originally Posted by Afdpt View Post
    Are you awake when this happens? I experience occasional sleep paralysis where my mind wakes up before my body does. It feels like a ton of pressure on my body pushing me down into my bed, or sometimes like I'm falling freely. I can't move, I can't talk. I try to scream and wake up my fiance but he almost never hears me. It's a very stressful experience and sometimes when it happens the stress/anxiety can make me feel a little bit sick but after moving around a bit this usually subsides.
    Yep, I'm completely awake during it; I can move and talk perfectly fine. I've heard of sleep paralysis and I don't believe it's that; though I'm very glad it's not that because I think sleep paralysis would be even more scary. I know some people have hallucinations during it, right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The knowledge that you one day will conquer this fear, it fills you with determination.

They do. Luckily I usually don't have any hallucinations. I only had something close to a hallucination once and it was actually last week. Had a dream that I fell into a ditch which led into the falling feeling of sleep paralysis. Was able to wake myself from that and was laying in bed on my side next to my fiance. Then I started to hear/feel someone on the other side of me who suddenly rolled on top of me and was holding me down with extreme force and speaking to me. Whatever this being was FELT evil. This time I really panicked enough that it actually woke my fiance up and he was able to wake me from it. It was truly terrifying and I hope I don't have that happen again.

I'm not sure what it could be that you're experiencing though as I've never had something like that happen when I'm awake. Hopefully someone else on here is able to help!

Quote Originally Posted by Afdpt View Post
    They do. Luckily I usually don't have any hallucinations. I only had something close to a hallucination once and it was actually last week. Had a dream that I fell into a ditch which led into the falling feeling of sleep paralysis. Was able to wake myself from that and was laying in bed on my side next to my fiance. Then I started to hear/feel someone on the other side of me who suddenly rolled on top of me and was holding me down with extreme force and speaking to me. Whatever this being was FELT evil. This time I really panicked enough that it actually woke my fiance up and he was able to wake me from it. It was truly terrifying and I hope I don't have that happen again.

I'm not sure what it could be that you're experiencing though as I've never had something like that happen when I'm awake. Hopefully someone else on here is able to help!
    Yeah, I'd be traumatized by that, even though when it's all over I'd know it was just because of the sleep paralysis. Sounds horrifying.
    Well, I'm thinking, as noted in the title, it could be some sort of dissociation? I don't have all the symptoms of it but I have a few, including feeling detached from your surroundings.