Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Birth Control?

Okay, I was talking to one of my close friends tonight who was complaining about some stomach pain that she believes was caused by using the birth control patch.

This got me thinking. Someday I am going to want to be on birth control. I've heard that the pill can really make some people's stomachs upset, so I'm planning to steer clear of that route.

Has anyone on here used the patch or the pill? Any info on the side affects of those??

Any suggestions of realiable birth control that doesn't have nausea as a side effect? I know about "barrier" methods, but everything I've ever read seems to suggest using another form of birth control along withthe barrier methods. Which is unfortunate, considering that the worst side affects from those are usually mild skin irritation [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img].

What lies behind us and what lies before us are small in comparison to what lies within us.

It depends on the kind you use. I don't know about contraceptives in the US but here we can choose between a pill which uses Oestrogen and Progesterone (sp?) or one which just uses progesterone. The combined one has far more side effects. I used the "mini pill" (p only) and had no trouble at all. It seems anything which has Oestrogen in it can give you stomachy side effects - ie the injection, the patch, and combined pill. Because I was rubbish at taking the pill I now have an implant in my arm which slowly releases a small amount of progesterone every day and lasts for three years. It has played havoc with my cycle but this is the only side effect I have had from it. Try speaking to your doctor or nurse about it, they'll have plenty of advice for you [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    <center><font face=\"Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><font size=\"4\"><font color=Magenta>I\'d Reach for the stars but I can\'t find my arms...</font></font>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I was on microgynm30, for years.

I stopped becauseI was having pains that I believed were caused by it, (my doctor disagreed, but when I stopped taking the pills the pain went away)

It wasnt stomach pain as such though, it was period stomach pain, down low, but randomly when i wasnt on my period.

Apart from that I had no side effects, although I was terrified about taking it at first. One thing worth mentioning though, is that if you miss a pill,you get a extra periodin the middle of the month, n that can make ya feelreally really bad.

I have never had problems with bc and my tummy. I have taken many kinds of oral contraceptives and am currently using the nuva ring. And again.. Never any tummy problems. It really depends on the person, though. I kind of doubt that the patch is causing digestive problems, though.
    \"This too shall pass\"

Hi there! I ahve been on the pill for almsot 4 years with no stomach related side effects at all..inf act it helped my cramps durring my period.

also...eternity..i dont knw if its just your pill..but with the ones i have been on if i missed a pill i didnt get another period in the middle of the month..i have tried 3-4 different pills (insurance keeps changing my coverage) and have missed pills with each one and never started an extra period in the middle of the month.

And now I\'m glad I didn\'t know
    The way it all would end the way it all would go
    Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
    But I\'d of had to miss the dance
    Garth Brooks

I've been on demulan for about 5 years and never had any problems with it. I would speak with your doctor, there are a lot of options out there to try.
    &lt;a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"&gt;&lt;/a&gt ; ; ;

I didn't do well with birth control pills because of the headaches and nausea. I tried numerous types and couldn't find one that worked well for me. I used the Nuvaring for over a year and it was great. I still had an occasional migraine but no nausea related to it. My periods were very light with only mild cramping. As soon as I have a baby, I plan on getting an IUD!

Hey, I've been on the pill for going on 4 1/2 years. I've never really had problems with it. Not with my stomach at least. They thought it was the pill that was making me nauseous and causing me to get headaches, but it wasn't because I still had them after I stopped. So I went back on them but a lower dose of hormones and I got spotting like a week before each period. And now I'm back on my original pill and I'm just fine. Hormones bother some people more than others.... if your mom has ever been on the pill, you should ask her how she handled it because there is a goodish chance that you will handle it the same way. Just like morning sickness! lol Good luck.

&lt;3 Allie
    **No one knows what it\'s like behind my green eyes.**

I tried the pill when I was younger, my doctor gave me the double hormone pill. After only one dose I was literally at the mercy of my stomach, the nausea was that bad. Unfortunatley, that experience has tarnished any ideas of trying the pill again. I am not yet mentally strong enough to deal with that intense nausea for days and days on end. Edited by: sparky2004
    <font color=RED><font size=\"4\"> FALSE EVIDENCE APPEARING REAL----fear</font>

I take Yasmin....have for like 4 or 5 years now....no problems whatsoever! Good luck!
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

You can't really go by everyone else's experiences because it won't affect the way your body reacts to them, and eveyone is different. I can tell you that, its not that common to get nausea with it, so the odds are in your favor.

there are SO many different brands of pills out there, all with different hormone levels, and different degrees of side effects.Your doctor will know which one to start you out on.

I always have foundit helps to take the pill at night, with a snack of some sort. and just for the record, I have been on about 5 different brands of pills, and never once had an upset stomach from any of them.

if you REALLY don't want to take the pill, there is always the female condom. To me it looks like a big sandwich baggie, I have to laugh at it. thats pretty much the only hormone free method for women, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

don't be scared of the pill... its got SO many positives about it!
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

i'm on the patch...i love it!!!my memory's bad, so the patch is perfect for me...no stomach upset or pain...the cramps and n* with my period have gotten more tolerable, too... hope this helps a little

Wow.. thanks for all the feedback!!

In response to 'AllieCat'.. I knew that if my mother or sister had tummy troubles during pregnancy, I was more prone to develop them. However, I am very happy to report that neither of them really had morning sickness at all. With my mom, she said that some mornings her stomach felt a tiny bit uneasy and that just eating a few soda crackers would clear up everything. I also asked about any n* or v* during labor.. they both said that they never experienced either. I will always fear what the pain of contractions will feel like, but my mother says they feel like really intense period cramps. Which I could deal with!! But, hopefully, before I become a mom someday I will no longer be an emet!! (wouldn't that be nice??)
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small in comparison to what lies within us.