Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Anitbiotics that are least likely to cause nausea? cephalaxin?

Its my third day taking doxycycline for an infected cut on my finger. For a couple doses I felt fine after, but starting last night I got SUPER nauseous. Even when taking it with food. I remember years ago taking tetracycline (which is pretty much the same drug) and having no nausea, so I'm not sure whats going on. Im going back to the doctor tomorrow to see if he can switch me to a different antibiotic. I read online that the best one for infected wounds is cephalexin. Has anyone taken that, and did it cause nausea?

The annoying thought keeps creeping in my head that my nausea is from a SV and not related to the antibiotic. But it's been almost 24 hrs of nausea and I havent v'd or had dia, and im able to eat without wanting to die. Or maybe its hormonal since my period is almost 2 weeks overdue (2 neg. preg tests). But switching antibiotics seems like the simplest explanation so I'm hoping thats actually the cause.

Also zofran isnt an option because it interacts with lexapro which I also take. Pepto hasnt done much to help.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Anitbiotics that are least likely to cause nausea? cephalaxin?

Doxycycline is one of the worst ones in terms of causing nausea and vomiting. If you haven't had any (or much) so far, you ought to be fine. Cephalexin (cephalosporin) is one of the best tolerated ones. Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I've had cephalexin for a Staphylococcus aureus infection, 13 days total and maybe a little d* but no real nausea. I think it is usually well tolerated. It may not be an option for people allergic to penicillin like drugs.

I've always found amoxicillin to be the best one to take to make sure I don't feel bad. It's broad stream so should be appropriate for most things. Xx