Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Slight OT: Severe anxiety attack episodes

(Warning: Long post)

So, about a year ago, I started experiencing these weird panic attacks during the late evening. Nothing too horrible, I could deal with them. Last summer they became more frequent and severe, but during September, they started to ebb away, and it only happened perhaps once every few weeks. It wasn't too bad, I could deal with them happening just every so often.
    But since a handful of nights ago, it's been happening every day, and it's been EXTREMELY SEVERE; it's been adding in new symptoms that I never had before with this, and these new symptoms are destroying me.
    I know it's anxiety because I've been experiencing them around the same time each day except for yesterday, when it came at 7:30 (the days before that it came around 5:30-6:00). My symptoms include:

-EXTREME pain in my right cheek. It feels like someone's taking a screwdriver and twisting my cheek around; since it first started, that cheek has been entirely numb. the first day after it hurt to chew on that side. I honestly could deal with this if it wasn't for the god awful pain. Does anyone else experience horrible pain in their body when they have an panic attack? Before the only pain I'd experience is gas pains.
    -Uncontrollable shaking
    -A strange feeling of paranoia
    -Sensitivity to light
    -Inability to concentrate on anything, like a book or my computer. If I'm on the computer when this is happening, my eyes will automatically slide down to the bottom of the screen. The only thing I can concentrate on is my ipod; when this happens, I have to turn off all the lights and sit there watching videos on my ipod until my pill starts working.
    -Severe pressure in my throat, mouth and neck, along with difficulty to swallow because of this
    -Strangely enough, I don't really get any nausea until AFTER it's over (most of the time), but I guess I should add this as a symptom either way

The only way I can stop these panic attacks is taking my pill that helps me sleep and getting sleepy from it. No amount of deep breathing or any calming techniques can help. The problem is that sometimes my pills don't kick in, which means I need to take extra, which is bad because where I get my pills, they won't give you a new prescription of they believe you took too many extra pills. Last night I had to take a few more than usual for it to finally kick in.

This is slowly eating away at me. It's been happening EVERY evening for 5 days now. I've had strange anxiety symptoms before that had lasted up to A YEAR, and if this lasts for that long, I know I'll do something drastic. I've been crying off and on all day because I'm afraid of when it'll start again. I'm afraid to do anything in case it triggers it. Yesterday I was so happy when it didn't happen around 5:30, thinking it was finally going to stop....but nope...it happened and it was the worst so far because my pills wouldn't work at first; when my pills work, I have to deal with it for a half an hour. Last night I had to deal with it for over an hour.

I can't see my psychiatrist until next month. He doesn't do emergency appointments either. So all I can really do for now is go through it and try to fight it as hard as I can. It's really difficult though; I was able to handle it before fine BEFORE that god awful pain started with it. That's the worst part. I've never experienced such pain before. And I know that pain is part of my anxiety because it ONLY happens during an episode.

I'm trying hard to find the trigger too, but I can't seem to find a definitive one.

I guess this was more of a rant post than anything. Venting. If it continues as bad as it is, I might go to the hospital. Maybe they can give me a really powerful pill that can stop it. I just want this to stop already.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The knowledge that you one day will conquer this fear, it fills you with determination.

Default Re: Slight OT: Severe anxiety attack episodes

Some of the things you are describing may be consistent with panic attacks but the severe localized pain would lead me to think that something else might going on that needs to be taken care of sooner rather than later.
    Pain can be a symptom of anxiety but the location, description and subsequent numbness suggest nerve involvement. I think the best course of action here would be to see your doctor as soon as possible. Even if it really is nothing beyond anxiety.. intolerable pain is never nothing!! best to seek treatment

Feel better soon!!!!

Malacala, if it continues I'm definitely going to a doctor, like said. Like said too though, the only reason I think it's just anxiety is because it ONLY hurts when an episode happens. Other than that, it's fine, no pain at all.
    I was though afraid that somehow my attack caused nerve damage..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The knowledge that you one day will conquer this fear, it fills you with determination.

Hmmm... I am absolutely not an expert but I don't think it's likely that there would be nerve damage from anxiety... Yes, depression, panic, stress etc can all be responsive for physical pain and I suppose its possible that grinding your teeth or jaw compression or even a dilated blood vessel might be causing impingement on a nerve but I guess I'd want to rule out other stuff too...

Perhaps I misread but the pain in your cheek is new/started this past week??
    Is it possible that the panic attacks that you have had before are being set off by the pain?? I know I might be overly cautious about this sort of thing but I would still possibly err on the side of caution in case since something like an infection which would be pretty easy to treat and might get worse if it was missed was behind the newer symptoms.
    Last edited by Malalcala; 12-15-2015 at 03:44 PM.

It doesn't sound entirely like anxiety to me. It sounds like you need to see a regular doctor due to the pain. Your symptoms mainly sound physical. Anti anxiety meds can help physical pain, so that may be why you're getting relief from them. Have you tried Motrin? Also, the sensitivity to light could indicate some kind of migraine/migraine aura. Your head doesn't have to hurt to have a migraine. Don't suffer...see a doc if possible.

That's the thing with panic attacks, they don't need a trigger. They just happen. That all sounds like panic attack symptoms except the cheek thing. Does it hurt in like your skin or is it more like in your jaw/bone? It might be dental if that's the case. And that pain can come and go, so it could be a coincidence. You know your body though, and anxiety/panic attacks can do crazy stuff!

I have panic attacks every night, i can be fine (just like you) and just BAM..Panic attack. Can't breath, can't swallow, feel sick, etc. I start to fear it happening as it gets later in the day, which of course, just makes it even worse.
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

“We are the girls with anxiety disorders, filled appointment books, five-year plans. We take ourselves very, very seriously. We are the peacemakers, the do-gooders, the givers, the savers. We are on time, overly prepared, well read, and witty, intellectually curious, always moving. We pride ourselves on getting as little sleep as possible and thrive on self-deprivation. We drink coffee, a lot of it. We are on birth control, Prozac, and multivitamins. We are relentless, judgmental with ourselves, and forgiving to others. We never want to be as passive-aggressive as our mothers, never want to marry men as uninspired as our fathers. We are the daughters of the feminists who said, “You can be anything,” and we heard, “You have to be everything.”