Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default What Are the Non-Emet Things You Used to Do?

Can you remember?

Those things that anyone who doesn't have a fear of vomiting would do. Like going out to eat, not hand washing, drinking a bit too much and not worrying, riding mass transit, etc.

When was that? How did you feel then? What changed? How do you feel now?

Default Re: What Are the Non-Emet Things You Used to Do?

All of that. Everything related to going out in public at all, or someone elses house, or having company at my house. It was all so bad when my phobia was bad. Fortunately I've gotten my phobia under control and I can do everything that I used to again but I still clearly remember the fear. I remember truly believing that there was norovirus on every single surface out there. I remember stressing so bad when I touched something and feeling like I could never wash my hands enough to be safe.

It's a terrible way to live and I truly hope that every single one of you still suffering that way can overcome this awful phobia and live your life again.

Now I can go out to eat (and do often) without worrying, I even eat without washing my hands sometimes, if I touch my face it doesn't phase me at all. I enjoy family and friend parties, I enjoy it all just like I used to.

I say all of this to hopefully give everyone hope that you can life your old life again, you're not doomed to the emetophobic life forever!

I go out to eat every single week with my boyfriend. We live on opposite sides of our city so it makes sense to meet in the middle every week which happens to be in our central city. We usually eat in places that I've done research on (thank goodness for Trip Advisor), but otherwise I really enjoy eating out (most of the time) - I have had a panic attack or two while eating out. I have on several occasions had a little too much to drink (which for me is only 3 drinks - then I'm pretty drunk haha), usually I just try to enjoy it, but one time I got very anxious as I felt n*, but I just had a lot of water and relaxed and it was fine. I have been on lots of planes and try not to let my anxiety stop me.

Having said all this, I still do these things, but not in full relaxation mode. But I guess it's one thing by doing it at all so I have to be proud of myself for that. A great topic though!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching"

My Emetophobia blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My photography Tumblr:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I eat out, travel, go to movies, parties, etc. but never fully relaxed either. At least not in the winter. I do enjoy my life for the most part and usually only panic if I feel really sick and think I may v.

I have to force myself sometimes. Sometimes it comes naturally - but then I get kind of panicky thinking, why am I not panicking? Lol. Crazy, I know.

But I am definitely doing way more things than I did last year. And I love dining out. That's one thing. I may wash my hands before but I never think twice about a restaurant. I'm enjoying trying some new places in my area

I was happy to read that I actually still relate to the things mentioned above in the first post!
    With me it was my naiivety on germs which I wish I still had. I thought someone breathing into my mouth would give me sv* if they had it...turns out its ALOT more contagious than that as its spread through hands etc ....so now I'm quite literally washing my hands 11 times a day, doubled if someone's unwell in my house.

Also I miss not thinking about n* everyday but I think that's self inflicted cos I make myself n* with the food I eat...

I didn't really wash my hands. When I was in Junior high and younger, I would only wash them after using the rest room if I wasn't home. If I was home, I'd only wash after going #2.

I would do activities and not wash my hands before eating. This even went on as late as last winter. These include:
    -Handling cash
    -Opening doors and using railings (stairs, escalators) in shopping malls and my college
    -Going to my school gym
    -Using public computers and computer mouses
    -Being in NYC and Philly...in winter...at two separate conventions with a few other hundred people...and stopping to eat with my hands during breaks

I'd eat more shellfish, and go out more often without thinking "is this food/chef/server/bartender going to spread illness to me?"
    I wouldn't freak out at my stomach's daily gurgling
    I'd hang out more with friends without thinking if they've had a recent SV
    I'd take medicines like antibiotics without panicking, wondering if I was going to have digestive upset/c-diff
    I'd hang out with my little nephew more - he even spit up on me the first time I held him as a baby. Granted, it was that pale-colored baby stuff that is not indicative of illness but still gross. I didn't freak out, just thought it was gross like any other person
    I'd go longer distances. I lived at school a hour away from my home and I'd go on trips with friends...now going 30 minutes to work is a challenge thanks to anxiety/phobia induced agoraphobia
    analyze situations now. I wash my hands CONSTANTLY. Even using the paper towel I use to open several doors. I always disinfect my own desk, that only I use daily. I'm afraid to go out to eat, and when I do go out I only get foods that have been in an oven. Last time I got sick was from a club sandwich that otherwise was tasty and chalked it up to lettuce being out too long. I don't want that experience again so I not only avoid that sandwich (can't get it from the same place without gagging thinking about it) but nothing that involves open food (think Subway) or food that isn't cooked long enough to kill germs and bacteria.

I was always emetophobic but I think the longer I went without v* the more confident I was. I'd still mildly freak out if I had d* and usually chalked my n* up to indigestion and my pisspoor diet. I d* and v* for 12 hours back in March 2015 at my boyfriend's and for the most part was fine, just felt gross and wanted it to be over...like anyone else would. Thought I was cured but this winter feels worse because I now feel like I must be more vulnerable or susceptible - like I had luck before and it ran out or something. I panic more now after a 9 months than I did prior when my streak was almost 20 years I'll be going to therapy soon needless to say
    Last edited by Razzle; 12-29-2015 at 05:12 AM.

I was born with emetophobia!