Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I used to wash my hands every time before eating. I forgot it today,
    and without thinking about it, I took some bread and ate it WITHOUT
    HAVING WASHED MY HANDS BEFORE!

Last time I did so I vomited next day.

Any good tips to how to make this vomiting I will have to go through tomorrow more painless?

I don't have any tips for making it less painful but I don't think you'll need them. Most people don't wash their hands everytime they eat and don't v* my brother is one of those people and he hasn't v* in years (well except for drinking but that's not the same) Last time was a coincidence. I'm sure you did a lot of stuff that day that you still do and don't v*. Hard as it is try not to worry and try not to associate. I do the same thing but really it's not reality.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

My Mum and my sister V* quite often. Both wash their hands before eating and after going to the toilet. Luckily I take after my Dad who has only V*ed once in the 29 years he has known my Mum and whose hands only get washed when he has a bath or does the washing up! He says a few germs never hurt anyone and help to build up your immune system and although I don't buy it, it seems to work for him! I am sure last time was a coincidence and you will be fine.
    Today is the tomorrow I dreaded yesterday and I\'m ok.

i don't wash my hands EVERYTME i eat... i hvent v*ed for 7 years...

so no, i don't think u r going to v* tomorrow.

Jen xxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I don't wash my hands every time I eat. I seriously think that the other v* episode was a conincidence, and now you are associating not washing your hands with v*ing. Believe me, I have associations too, such as not being able to eat tacos with my dad or else he will v*. However, I have learned that if you are nervous about getting sick, you may feel bad. You just have to calm down, and realize that just because something happened once, it doesn't mean that it will happen again. Breathe! I sincerely don't think that you will v* tomorrow.

Feel better!

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Yeah like the rest of the people said don't worry about it. I eat without washing my hands all the time and I'm fine. The last time was just a coincidence I think. You should be fine!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

ask yourself: will I get hit by lightning tommorow? Will I get hit by a bus tommorow? Will the world blow up?

you have about as much chance of vomiting tommorow.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

I can promise you that you're not going v tomorrow because you didn't wash your hands. PROMISE. If you v tomorrow, it's either something completely unrelated, or your mind taking control. I PROMISE. Forget about it, tell yourself you washed your hands and forgot you did it.
    \"... and but for the sky there are no fences facing....\"-- Bob Dylan

I gotta tell you, when I'm at horse shows, I eat stuff and rarely wash my hands (if somebody remembers Purell or baby wipes, I'll use those, but most of the time we don't have anything available) I'll eat chips or cheese and crackers, sometimes burgers and stuff, and I am filthy from my horse, brushes, bug sprays, etc...

Forgot to add... and I have not vomited since I was 8 years old, I'll be 22 ina little over a week...Edited by: ChippedAway

I have an extremely long list of things that I feel will make me v* if I do or don't do. I am actually seeing a therapist because there are so many things that it controls my life. Basically, she told me that they are all part of my OCD and that emet is really just the way my OCD presents itself. Some people are afraid that if they do something specific, something bad will happen (like someone will get hurt or die) - I relate it all to v*. For example, I had a specific shirt that I thought made my sister v* everytime I wore it. I loved the shirt, but twice when I wore it my sister v*d, so I actually ripped it up and threw it away. One issue I still have is that I will not take a shower at exactly 8:00 because I am afraid I will v* if I do. I know it is really unrelated, but I still can't bring myself to do it - yet.

The point of my rambling is that exposure therapy (doing these illogical things and proving to myself that they will not make me v*) has really been helping me lately. I am thinking about emet less and less everyday. Once you see that this will not make you v* tomorrow, that will be one less thing you have to worry about. You will be fine and actually better because of this!

I often do not wash my hands before eating, and I am usually fine. I also try to avoid touching things with my bare hands too. There are just some places where you may not have easy access to a place where you can wash your hands with soap and warm water. Like, at my school, you can get to a restroom pretty easily, but we do not have real soap (we have this powdery pink stuff that does not do us much good) and the sinks do not allow us to have warmer water. I usually use hand sanitizer at school. I do not have any tips, though. You should be fine. It is hard to do things you used to do or something because you did it on the same day you vomited. Like, that pair of clothes you wore, the foods you may have eaten, etc.

I don't think you will get sick. My doctor tells me all the time
    to do things that I think will make me sick to test it out to prove I
    won't.

It is difficult at times.

You can try it with easy things . All you need to do is
    this. It's called a probablity form i guess you could call
    it. What I do is write down - If I go to this party i will get
    sick if i eat from the buffet (which i will not eat at a buffet , snot
    guard or not) Then you write down the percent, say your 80
    percent sure it will happen. You then write down when you think
    it will happen, say a day later. After a day goes by you write
    down the results. So far i've been fine and it hasn't happend.

If you can do it everytimebefore you stop yourself from doing something
    because of the phobia you can stop the superstitious thinking and the
    rituals. All us emets have rituals and false beliefs that keep us
    from not freaking out. Hell there are days I wish i lived in a
    bubble to stay way from germs.[img]smileys/smilies_32.gif[/img]

Yes I do *waves*
    Stop thinking youre going to vomit tomorrow.

It wont happen.

Remember last time when you posted after you had v'd i think you might
    want to go back and read that because you said it was no big deal...
    \"Some things I cannot change
    But till I try I\'ll never know
    Too long I\'ve been afraid\"

Aim/aol: baseballplaya123

"
    Remember last time when you posted after you had v'd i think you might

want to go back and read that because you said it was no big deal..."

No, I have never said it was no big deal to vomit, I said there were no
    reason to fear vomiting if you have pills against it.... But I was
    wrong.

What if they dont work and what if I am not near them - thats the problem!

EDIT:

(sorry for brining up an old topic, it was a totally other discussion I wanted to bring up i just posted in).

Edited by: dktekno

Well, since the topic is back up, I wonder did you ever vomit from not washing your hands that time?

Quote Originally Posted by dktekno
    " Remember last time when you posted after you had v'd i think you might
    want to go back and read that because you said it was no big deal..."

No, I have never said it was no big deal to vomit, I said there were no reason to fear vomiting if you have pills against it.... But I was wrong.

What if they dont work and what if I am not near them - thats the problem!

EDIT:
    (sorry for brining up an old topic, it was a totally other discussion I wanted to bring up i just posted in).

I do the same thing, so it will be easy for me to tell you you will be fine. I always think, "oh no, I forgot to wash my hands and I know I will be sick." I get so much better the next day because I actually will myself to be well to disprove the theory. You will be fine and you will think how nice it is to miss washing your hands and be o.k.

I am a handwasher, many times a day, but I do miss a time or 2 and I have a 3 year old that makes it even more important.

I can't wait to hear from you happy and well tomorrow.

Here we are, next day...How are you dktekno?

Gubba,

That was written on July 14th, so we are at the next day plus over 2 months!

Mary
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

Sorry!!!

Don't worry about it! I just thought it was funny. I hope you didn't take offense!
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."