Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Okay I know that there have to be people out there who won't eat certain foods because the last time they ate them they V*ed. So what foods won't you eat?

I stay away from Chocolate, I'll eat it but only in very small amounts like I'll have a candy bar and that's it. I remember when I was little I ate so much chocolate that I threw up and ever since then I stay away from chocolate.

I won't eat Sun Chips...well I'll eat the kind that aren't the kind that my sister ate when she got sick the last time.

Sugar Cookies...the last time I got REALLY sick was after eating like 12 or 14 sugar cookies. I'm sure it was just a SV but for some reason I can't eat sugar cookies anymore.

What are your foods?

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I think the sugar cookies was from eating so many, unless it was smaller ones.

--Hmm well a few years ago I couldn't eat pizza cause I got violently ill one time from eating it. Luckily I overcame that , cause I LOVE (emphasis on LOVE) pizza.
    --Hmm, the only thing I really avoid now is ham (yet I love bacon, weird).
    --Also mayonaise, but that's more of a personal preference rather than an Emet related issue.
    AIM - r311dude (don\'t be shy, I love to chat)

i was like that with Cheez-its for awhile.. i didn't vomit after eating
    them, but i was really sick.. so i couldn't eat them for a few yrs,
    finally was starting to overcome that, then i gave up eating most
    cheese *is trying to go vegan*

This is my biggest goal at the moment! I want to eat all of my foods like that! And, I am not sure it's a good idea to list all of these foods, in case it makes already food-wary people eat even less! Instead, I say we have a support group where we do kinda like Sage said in another post and each try to eat something on that "list", and then if we don't get sick, we can cross it off!! Who's with me?
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

Good idea harmony!

I did this with rice, I couldn't eat it for like 10 years, but now I can and its fine. Course I still have foods that I just can't eat, butI think its rather normal to stay away from foods that you felt very bad after eating or were even sick on after eating.

I agree, it's just an avoidance thing that I want to stop! I have pretty much gotten over my Hershey's kisses one, but I want to tackle Whopper Juniors, mint chip ice cream, and Doritos! (That's the hardest one, mostly because I have read others getting sick from them!!)

This is actually fairly strange. I generally try to avoid the foods I ate that got me sick not because it was the food itself (which it wasn't; it all had been stomach flu related incidents) but because I can recallvaguely how it tasted. Agreed, no food going in tastes anything remotely coming out, but I believe some are more harmless and less morbid than others.

Foods I got sick on and refuse to eat whatsoever:
    1. <LI>Pork ribs</LI>
      <LI>Pepsi cola</LI>
      <LI>Coleslaw</LI>
      <LI>Hot cheeto's</LI>
      <LI>Onion dip</LI>
      <LI>Tortilla chips</LI>
      <LI>Scalloped cheese potato's</LI>
      <LI>Egg sandwiches</LI>

I won't touch those with a ten-foot pole. However, just recently I did get tricked into eating Applebee’s pork ribblet's (genre of meat wasn't specified on the menue) when my grandparent's claimed it was beef (they know about my fear for it). But, I do love bacon and ham. I've also gotten sick on spaghetti and chicken, but I've somehow overcome that. It's now some of my preferred choices for supper. XD

I won't eatanything with thosetiny little hard, banana shaped spices they put on pizza and other Italian food. I don't know what they are called, but when I was 7 or 8, I vomited on the bathroom floor and saw a bunch of them in it. I will pick every one of them off if they are on my food. [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

I won't eat the lunchmeat (ham) with those little cheese spots in it because I saw that in my vomit when I was little too!

I will never eat Stove Top stuffing EVER AGAIN! I ate it when I was 12 and threw it up because I had a stomach virus...so I went like 15 years without eating it, but then got brave and started eating it again...well, I threw it up again with my last stomachvirus a few years ago! Go figure. [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

I know it is so irrational, but maybe it is just the reminder of the vomit??? I dunno...*sigh* Charlotte

Spring is here!

Things I am afraid of because I might have gotten sick from them and will not eat:

1)Burger King (I do not remember if that is what caused it, but I am still afraid)
    2)Swedish Meatballs
    3)Hot dogs (I still eat them, but I think I may have gotten sick off of them once, and am kind of afraid and do not eat them much anymore)
    4)Cheetos (I am considering trying to eat them again, because I do not think it was really the Cheetos that caused it because I think I already felt sick before eating them)

That is really all the stuff on my list for not eating because I may have gotten sick from it. But, trust me, there are MANY more foods I will not eat or are afraid of.

Lizard

I won't eat anything that can result in food poisoning. Or stuff that has made somebody v**** when they are near me.

For example, I won't eat anything from Maccas, Burger King, KFC or Red Rooster because that was what people on my bus had on the trip that started my emetophobia.

I won't eat meat that isn't cooked right through either.

There's lots more, but I won't list 'em all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i don't eat meat - not necessarily an emet thing, but a personal preference. i don't remember what made me get sick way back when, so i don't havefrom list of my own experience. i do avoid things that are known to cause illness... eggs, mayo, fast food, etc...

wow, you know what? There really isn't anything on my list of foods not to eat! I love all food, but all food does not love me, lol. I usually eat it and pay for it later ( it's usually worth it!).

I'm pretty brave and will try anything once, ( food wise)

the only thing I try to limit myself on is dark pop ( pepsi, coke, root beer) because I find it hard on my belly at times. And I have to watch creamy sauces, but thats due to an IBS issue, but i usually give in and have it anyways.

I agree that you guys should try to eat one food on your list and cross it off! I bet you don't even realize how much you miss that particular food, and it will be another emet triumph!
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

i don't eat meat , not because of emet s I thougth it would make me
    feel better fighting off depression. A way to change my life style,
    it's been eight years not eating meat. Now with the emets
    in full force i feel like it's one less thing to worry
    about. Cream corn I avoid . It''s mainly where the food is,
    who's cooking it. I won't eat anything someone makes at work ,
    they know my problem and sometimes i think they would put something in
    it to make me get over it. No offense to the men on the site but
    i work with all men and they like to pull pranks. Construction
    worker type atmosphere. I work in a trade shop with plumbers
    masons carpenters that kind of thing. There alot better than they
    use to be . You can get arrested for putting x-lax in food
    ya know.
    \"Sickness is a belief, which must be annihilated by the divine mind\" -mary baker

Well, I've never really gotten Ill after eating something, and this doesn't really count as a food,but a few years ago I had to get like 4 CT scans done over the course of a month or so and they always made me drink a bunch of barium sulfate suspension crap that they flavored *coconut* for some dumb reason... drinking it made me gag and want to get sick... So now I can't stand anything artifically flavored as coconut or anything with that same consistancy (I currently bought some V8 Smoothie drink only to find the consistancy was exactly like the barium and even reminded me of the taste, so I can't stand it). [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

White chocolate

Rissoto

Chicken pasties.

I think thats it actually.

x
    <font color=MAGENTA>*~Lauren~*</font>
    [b]Music fans
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think it's like Sage and Harmonygirl say. Istill eat the things I had before prior sv*s because it is'nt healthy to have these avoidances-especially when it comes to food. Unless -like for instance-I'm lactose intollerant. Anything with the word cream in it will ALWAYS make me feel yucky-so I need to avoid them.(I still cheat sometimes though)There are some foods-alot in fact that don't make v*or Nauseaus, they just don't agree with me EVER-like doritos. I feel your pain Harmonygirl[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]darn those zesty cheesy chips!used to love doritos too!
    \"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans\"-John Lennon

the first incident i ever remember v* is after I had orange juice when
    I was really really little so no orange juice, oranges, or orange
    flavored things for me. i dislike it, and i dont know if its from the
    phobia or not, i just hate oranges and orange color. I wont eat frozen
    pizza unless its freschetta which is yummy, but red baron made me get
    mad food poisoning as a kid. also bean soup and 'voaila' dinners,
    although most of these foods probably didnt directly cause me to be
    sick, i never want to eat them again. thats normal for most people,
    emet or not actually.

I have a few foods that I don't eat.

The only ones that have to do with emet are curly fries and food from
    Burger King. However, since I started dieting I've quit eating all fast
    food other than pizza so those are never really an issue.

I also don't eat bananas because they make my stomach hurt. I have no idea why, maybe some kind of mild allergy.

I don't eat any kind of snack cakes or what I call sub-par desserts
    since I can only have dessert every so often so I tend to be
    discriminating.

I tend to only have ice cream except in small amounts because the amount of fat in it gives me d*.

For a while I wouldn't eat strawberries because I ate them before
    getting sick once. At first it didn't even occur to me but then my
    darling brother informed that's what was in the v* a few weeks later.
    As a result of that conversation I didn't eat them for a few years but
    then I learned to again later.

Swiftette, I am so honored that you referred to me and Sage in the same sentence! She's my hero! Haha, but I do think we should stop avoiding so much....and making lists of scary foods, so more people's scary lists get longer! Only make a list like that if you want to start crossing things off the list! And,I don't really miss Doritos, anyway....but, Whopper Juniors are yummy!! (Do they even make those at BK anymore? I got sick the day I ate there in 1984, so I bet the menu has changed!!)

Mary

Yeah they still make Wopper Jrs. The only fast food place that ever made me sick was McDonalds but I still eat there at least once a week. The McDonalds I ate at where I got sick...I won't eat there again...but that's okay because it's like 45 minutes away from my house so no chance of that happening.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I eat very little meat--mainly due to the fear of food poisoning. And, I've never eaten much meat anyway. I got sick from pizza once and went years without eating it, but now I eat it at least once a week and I love it! I also got sick from Doritos once and stayed away from them for a long time. Now, I would love to eat them but stay away from them due to the high calorie/fat content. My most recent time of getting sick with a sv, I had eaten at a local restaurant. And I haven't eaten there since and it has been almost 5 years ago. It wasn't the restaurant that made me sick, it is just that when I walk by that restaurant the smell of it takes me back to when I was last sick. I have contemplated eating there, though and I may get enough nerve to do it one day.

Jess

I stopped eating red meat and pork. I still eat the occasional chicken breast or turkey burger, but that's about it for meat.

I will not eat fast food (with the exception of subway or veggie pizza..)

I also stopped eating sprouts on my salad after seeing something on the news about it being hard to wash of the e. coli from them. This one really made me mad because I love those little things, but I am considering bringing them back because I miss them
    \"This too shall pass\"

I won't eat meat in case of food poisnoning, unless it's chicken because I can see if it's cooked properly. I don't eat too much fruit for fear of d* and I don't drink orange juice for the same reason. I don't eat Pot Noodles because I once got ill after having one as a kid (it was likely unrelated), I don't drinik fizzy drinks because they make me feel ill, and coke gives me d*. Also won't eat Mars bars or chocolate that's been in the fridge because once when i had an sv as a kid, the last thing i ate before i v* was a refrigerated mars bar! There's tons more too
    <center><font face=\"Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><font size=\"4\"><font color=Magenta>I\'d Reach for the stars but I can\'t find my arms...</font></font>

The last time I v* was right after eating Sheppard's Pie over 28 years ago and for the LONGEST time I would not go near it. ( because I was sick many, many times ) As I got older, ( late teens/early 20's ), I realized it was time to chalk it up to sv and not the actual meal itself. -Mind over matter, right? I have eaten it approx. 3 or 4 times w/o any problems. ( I'm just left with that awful memory ) I too avoid most meats with the exception of well cooked chicken and the occasional steak. I never eat out at fast food places anymore... ( especially after that 60 minutes show on contamination ) And although I am a huge fan of seafood, I never order seafood out... only cook it myself when its right off the docks or at a reputable seafood store. And yet, sushi is my exception. Go figure!

Other bad memories of justmassive n* all night w/ no v* are: Boboli Pizza, Cole Slaw from KFC, Egg McMuffin, anda few different occasions w/ fried foods.

Unfortunately for me, my fear is controlling in which I only eat small amounts at a time and up until a certain time at night. ( or I will lay awake in agnoy for hours ) I have definitely gotten better and wish to thank all of you for sharing your stories and making me realize I'm not alone and there is hope. By the way, I'm new here and I am extremely happy to be part of IES!!! Thank you.

Scoots[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Mushrooms

Risotto

ice cream

hot dogs

Hey Guys,

For those who cannot eat Dorritos because it makes them feel nasty--- There a new kind! Dorritos Natural! No artificial colors or preservatives! I can eat them again with no tummy upset. Give em a try! Yummy.. (less sodium too).

--Kim

I made a breakthrough!! Across from my work there is a takeaway similar to KFC and I used to get a bag of fries from there for supper when I worked nights, a couple times a week. One day at the beginning of June I came home from work and was up all night feeling really n* and to cut a long story short, I blamed it on the fries because they were the last thing I'd eaten. I swore I'd never have them again. Well after reading this post yesterday, I decided to be brave, so I had some!!!! And I was fine of course.

Thanks Guys! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    <center><font face=\"Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><font size=\"4\"><font color=Magenta>I\'d Reach for the stars but I can\'t find my arms...</font></font>

Oh Yenn, I'm so happy, thats awesome!!![img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]You should be very proud of yourself, I'm proud of you!! Tink-I'm so excited, I'm gonna try them. Thanks for telling us!
    \"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans\"-John Lennon

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <T>
    <TR height="100%" UNABLE="&#111;n" width="100%">
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

Well there are some foods i am truely phobic about:
    <UL>
    <LI>yoghurt-i was s* after one as a child, when people lick the lid-yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck! [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]</LI>
    <LI>banana-just the smell and consistency! ewwwww</LI>
    <LI>porridge-horrible s*y mess!</LI>
    <LI>anything mushy really, or furry on the tongue-yikes disgusitng!</LI>[/list]

</TD></TR>
    <TR UNABLE="&#111;n" hb_tag="1">
    <TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
    You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.

x Felicity x

Great job, Yenn! I am so happy someone got what I was saying back there!

And, Tink, thanks so much for the Doritos suggestion.....Swiftette, let's get some and try them and compare notes, k? Then, we can cross one off our list, too!

Mary