Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Noro in my house

There's been a sv* going around my town, I guess, because sooo many people I know have gotten it. And my Mom happened to be one of those people. She got s* on April 13 and the last time she v* was April 14. I've been going through my horrible rituals of not touching anything and bleaching the crap out of everything ever since. And I still haven't got it. Although, I did feel very n* Saturday but I never v* and I never had d* so I think it was probably just nerves and stress with this whole situation. So I was wondering, when will it be safe to touch stuff in my house and not have to worry about it because I'm getting pretty sick of being confined to one little space in my house. Like, when should all the germs probably be gone? Usually when this happens, I wait for like two months but I don't know if I can handle two months again. It hasn't even been two weeks and I'm already going crazy. So that's question no.1. I have 2 others. My best friend got s* with the same sv* on April 14 and last v* April 15. When will it be safe to invite her over and hang out with her? And no.3, my other best friend's mom got s* April 26. So now I'm scared to be around this friend, too, even though so far she hasn't gotten s*. So basically every single person I'm close to, I'm scared to be around. And I just want my normal routine back. So can someone please help me and let me know when everything should be completely safe?

Default Re: Noro in my house

Hey!
    I know exactly how you feel! Sometimes it feels like you're trapped :/ but dont worry I have been in this situation so many times and never got sick. Anyway as far as your questions, its important to know that people CAN be contagious up to two weeks after symptoms stop, HOWEVER that is only through their um..waste. So as long as your friend/ mother wash their hands well after using the bathroom, they should be perfectly safe. Most people stop being contagious after 3 days anyway As far as your house, noro can last for a while in carpets but again, as long as you are washing your hands before you touch your mouth youre totally in the clear! Just try and not use the bathroom your mom was using while she was sick (if thats possible). You'll be fine!

Default Re: Noro in my house

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah429 View Post
    Hey!
    I know exactly how you feel! Sometimes it feels like you're trapped :/ but dont worry I have been in this situation so many times and never got sick. Anyway as far as your questions, its important to know that people CAN be contagious up to two weeks after symptoms stop, HOWEVER that is only through their um..waste. So as long as your friend/ mother wash their hands well after using the bathroom, they should be perfectly safe. Most people stop being contagious after 3 days anyway As far as your house, noro can last for a while in carpets but again, as long as you are washing your hands before you touch your mouth youre totally in the clear! Just try and not use the bathroom your mom was using while she was sick (if thats possible). You'll be fine!
    Thank you for responding! We don't have any carpet in our house and I do have a separate bathroom from my parents. So those two things are ruled out. I guess another one of my main concerns is food. I know for a fact that I won't eat anything that she cooks or eat anything from our refrigerator for at least a month. I have snacks I keep in my bedroom or I'll eat something from outside of the home. But after a month, should it be safe to eat normally again? You don't have to answer this question but anyone who knows the answer is welcome to.