Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Post-Appendectomy Issues. PLEASE HELP.

The last five days have been extremely rough for me and my phobia, and I am in dire need of support.

I have been dealing with stomach problems for months, nearly a year now. Lot's of acid reflux, headaches, bowel changes, n* etc. Trying to figure out what is wrong has been rather futile. This last weekend, I was having an especially hard time. I couldn't eat very much, for every time I ate I would feel incredibly n*. I was bloated on my right side nearly all the time, and then I started having pain. The pain was a crampy one - from the top of my right rib all the way down to my bowel area. I started to freak out, especially because the pain radiated to my back.

I went to the ER last Friday, and they sent me home with a diagnosis of mild constipation and a manageable ovarian cyst. This calmed me down for a day, and I rested. But then - about 48 hours later - I went back to the ER because nothing was improving. They did a CT scan, and my stomach was so full of gas they couldn't see much. But they saw that my appendix was borderline inflamed. They couldn't really tell, so they tried to do an ultrasound to see it better, but there was too much trapped gas in my stomach. After 10 hours of waiting and worrying, they admitted me to the hospital for observation. A surgeon came and talked to me. He basically said I could wait it out and see if things got worse - and then operate... or I could do what he recommended - operate immediately. Then, in only an hour, I found myself getting prepped for an appendectomy.

On Monday, at about 1 p.m. they removed my appendix via laporoscopic procedure. The first night in the hospital was rough. I was in a lot of pain and had a lot of n*. They send me home the next day (Tuesday), and I have been miserable since.

This brings me to the main problem now:
    I am unable to eat without extreme pain, nausea, and this weird hunger/gnawing feeling. Nearly every time I eat, it is followed by this uncomfortable feeling. I also get a really bad headache and sometimes some joint aches too. It's horrible, and I just want to be able to eat. Could this just be really bad acid reflux? Inflammation from the surgery? If anyone has had their appendix removed, and has some insight on recovery, that would be really appreciated. Any good remedies for stomach inflammation and acid?

Default Re: Post-Appendectomy Issues. PLEASE HELP.

Congratulations, moopz! You made it through an appendectomy and appendicitis without vomiting. You are strong!
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you for the congratulations. I still haven't made it out of recovery unscathed though. I owe a lot of thanks to anti-nausea meds.

it definitely could be from the trauma of surgery. I would focus on gentle foods (dry cereal, apple sauce, plain pasta, etc). also stay hydrated and maybe get Luna bars or ensure so you get nutrients. feel better! every day WILL be better!

No, no no, shouldn't be congratulate her for not vomiting, it feeding the phobia, but well done for dealing with operation, I had my apendicts out, you heal well, just have a good rest let ya family spoil you.