Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Travel

Question Travel

So I have a chance that I might travel to another country next year but the only thing that's stopping me is the plane ride. I'm really scared that the plane ride would cause any nausea or anything like that. Any plane ride experience? Tips?

Default Re: Travel

Me and my family travel to Europe almost every year. What I found that helped was chewing mint gum and having mints handy, they help settle your stomach in the air. Also, Dramamine (or however you spell that) helps too, maybe take some before you ge ton the plane to stop your anxiety rising. If you do start feeling some nausea then try eating something, I know it is the last thing you'd want to do, but even a couple of those pretzels they give you works charms to help with the nausea. I also invested in some sound proof headphones. 50 dollars at Barnes and Noble and they work pretty well. I use them in the air so I don't focus on other people coughing in order to not freak out and have a panic attack. Also, on the landing remember to breathe and everything will be fine even if your stomach feels weird. I always close my eyes and focus on the music I listen to or breathing slowly, this helps you get calmly through the landing.

Me and my family travel to Europe nearly every year. I always have mint gum and mints with me, they settle your stomach while flying. Also, I bought some sound proof headphones to help with unwanted coughs and noises from other passengers. I bought the cheap ones and they worked out fine . If you do begin to feel sick, try eating som pretzels that they give you. I know, its really scary eating, but it really helps! Also, Dramamine helps, maybe take some before the plane ride to stop you worrying too much. Let me know if you have any other questions or need some support you will have fun on your trip

Thank you!

I got a hint of car sickness the other day! I did the stupid thing of not eating a meal all day except for a small cake hours before I travelled and my gosh I had like two hours in the blazing sun.... literally the only thing that helped was mint gum and chewing my nails for around an hour :/

I am with curly locks, but will also add investing in sea-bands. I love them as long trips with motion make me blah. Light snacks are good as well. Full stomachs and empty stomachs are both bad for motion. Mints, minty gum (the quick height increase can cause ear popping, so gum is good for that) and some Dramamine. Stay hydrated as well. I hope you enjoy your trip. Sounds like fun.
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce"~Helena, A Midsummer Night's Dream

i moved to LA a year ago and need to travel to NYC to see my family. My ultimate fear is planes. Being trapped in them makes me so miserable it is indescribable. I am actually considering doing a cross country road trip to avoid it. every time i go on one i get more panicked and last time i was essentially in a panic attack for 6 full hours so. not sure what to do at this point.

what is it about planes that scares you the most canonguy? Is it fear you won't feel well or others won't feel well? Or are you worried about the lack of control or confined space?

I fly at least two planes a year, and my Emetophobia is very severe. I've NEVER felt motion sickness. Still, in case something happens due to somebody else v, I starve myself minus very light things (ex. three pretzels and some ice) the day before and day of the flight (the same goes for a boat or a long car trip). The worst thing I've ever seen in an airport / airplane would be two janitors using a big machine to clean the floor in one specific spot in the airport. I study everyone's faces, as always fear somebody v in the airport or the airplane. Before the flight, practice relaxing so that you can calm down if something happens while confined on the airplane (I know it seems hard). Stay very clean, avoid the bathrooms, etc. This will help you feel more comfortable on a plane (you or others) or in an airport (others).
    Last edited by Jess44246; 06-05-2016 at 01:37 AM.

I fly at least two planes a year, and my Emetophobia is very severe. I've NEVER felt motion sickness. Still, in case something happens due to somebody else v, I starve myself minus very light things (ex. three pretzels and some ice) the day before and day of the flight (the same goes for a boat or a long car trip). The worst thing I've ever seen in an airport / airplane would be two janitors using a big machine to clean the floor in one specific spot in the airport. I study everyone's faces, as always fear somebody v in the airport or the airplane. Before the flight, practice relaxing so that you can calm down if something happens while confined on the airplane (I know it seems hard). Stay very clean, avoid the bathrooms, etc. This will help you feel more comfortable on a plane (you or others) or in an airport (others).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This is Bob.
    Bob is accepting of your emetophobia.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.

the scariest part is being trapped with no way of escaping the situation. and not knowing how i will feel that day. i make myself feel sick every time i have to go anyway. i have had to miss 2 of the last 3 planes i tried to take (sinus infection and flu). and then the whole trip, once i land, i worry the WHOLE time knowing i have to get back on. it ends up never even being worth it

So your real issue is the lack of control and perhaps claustrophobia? Sounds like the sickness is a mind issue. I am not sure avoiding planes are your best bet. Are you doing any therapy for your anxieties? If not, I advise considering it. If you went before and didn't feel it helped, I do not advise giving up. Find someone else. I have been to a few different therapists over the years (partly because of moving) and different doctors (partly for the same reason) and I changed some because I did not like them and it's okay to get new opinions and try different people. If money is an issue, there are low cost and free therapies available all over the US. I hope you can work through this to make your life easier.

I agree with Dairy. You should seek a couple sessions or so before a trip. It seems that it'll do you well before travel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This is Bob.
    Bob is accepting of your emetophobia.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.