Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Fears about my 5 Year Old

Hi all

We are currently on holiday and having a lovely time :-) We took our daughter to a Dinosaur Museum today and she loved it. She was touching the models, pushing in buttons and make the models do things etc You name it she was touching it.

This I don't have a problem with as I usually get her to wash her hands or use anti-viral foam when she gets home or before eating. But, as we were leaving the museum, she put some of her fingers in her mouth!!!! And she hadn't washed/cleaned her hands from touching everything that HUNDREDS of kids and other grown-ups have touched too OMG

Now I am in an awful panic and I cannot get the thought out of my head that will now get ill from a SV. I am constantly on edge waiting......... She is going to get ill and V* I just know it.

I hate this

Default Re: Fears about my 5 Year Old

This is unfortunately something that you cannot control
    You will have to make peace with that

You are doing the best you can teaching her all the hygiene practices you have. More than that you cannot do
    Try to let go and enjoy your holiday

Well, kids will be kids. The upside is that statistically speaking, she's not that likely to catch something. Most kids put their dirty hands in their mouth or handle food without washing on a daily basis. I've seen kids lick the poles in the subway. For real. And even those kids that do this on a daily basis don't get sick all that often (on average the most careless people I know, their kids catch a sv* about three times a year). So, for 365 days of exposure, there's three infections that occur. So it is unlikely that from one single exposure you kid will get sick. Not impossible, but still not a certainty.

I understand that you'll be worrying about it for the full potential incubation period. But most likely it will be worrying over nothing.

You don't KNOW she's going to get ill and v*.

This is just something kids do. The run around getting into every germy surface and stick their hands in their mouths. Does it result in illness? Yeah, sometimes, but the majority of time no.

There's even research suggesting that kids who are exposed to dirtier homes (such as those with pets) and allowed to play outside, eat dirt, etc. are at lower risk for allergies and have stronger immune systems, because their exposures help their immune system learn and better protect them.

I understand the waiting will be stressful, and, if she does end up getting sick from this, it'll suck. However, there is a silver-lining in that it could make her healthier in the long run.

Kids stick their fingers in their mouths after touching many disgusting things (like interactive museum displays). The chances that she'll be ill are slim. More likely a cold than a sv if she actually does catch something. I know we would never do anything like that but many kids do it all the time and are perfectly fine! Take it easy with her for 48 hours and you should be safe anytime after. Maybe an immune booster just in case?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This is Bob.
    Bob is accepting of your emetophobia.
    Bob is smart.
    Be like Bob.

The chance of her becoming ill is SO SLIM! Think about all of the places YOU went as a kid with your family, field trips, friends,etc. I NEVER washed my hands and RARELY got ill. I used to chaperone my son's school and the kids touched EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING!!!!! We had to use hand sanitizer for lunch as waiting in line for the bathrooms with all of the students would take too long. Long story short NONE of the kids EVER got ill.

Good for you for living your life despite your fears. You're going to be fine. She is going to be fine and this will reinforce your smart behavior of going and doing. xoxo