Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I think I have the flu-help!

This morning I started to notice my throat was a bit scratchy, though only mildly. After a while my head started hurting but i thought that was because my neck had been really stiff. But my dad was saying how he thought he'd caught a flu virus so i checked my temperature and it was 37.4 degrees Celsius. I kept checking every minute or so. It stayed at that temp, then moved to 37.6. At on point it was 37.8 which scared me, but that dropped to 37.5 in a minute. Then it fluctuated between 37.4-37.6. I waited a little while and checked it and it was down to 37.2, but then went up .1 degrees in each subsequent checking until it got back to 37.6. All this in less than an hour. I've already taken a zofran because i'm so scared the flu or fever will make me throw up. Anyone got any advice?

Default Re: I think I have the flu-help!

The flu and fever do not cause vomiting, except very rarely in children and exceptionally rarely in adults. Taking a zofran wasn't needed at all, and you should not take them unless you actually are feeling very nauseous, they can be dangerous for the heart. You barely have a fever (above 38 you are considered to have a fever). Checking your temperature every minute isn't a good idea either. Check every other hour or if you start feeling much, much worse. More frequently than that is absolutely not needed.

Also, it sounds more like a regular cold than influenza. I've had influenza, and it strikes you out of the blue with sudden chills, severe headache and muscle pain, high fever, and you feel like you're dying. It's not just "bit of a scratchy throat and light fever and I'm well enough to worry".

What you need is fluids (hot water with lemon, ginger and honey is good) and rest, not zofran. You might get some mild nausea, that's normal, but it won't make you vomit.

Quote Originally Posted by AoD View Post
    The flu and fever do not cause vomiting, except very rarely in children and exceptionally rarely in adults. Taking a zofran wasn't needed at all, and you should not take them unless you actually are feeling very nauseous, they can be dangerous for the heart. You barely have a fever (above 38 you are considered to have a fever). Checking your temperature every minute isn't a good idea either. Check every other hour or if you start feeling much, much worse. More frequently than that is absolutely not needed.

Also, it sounds more like a regular cold than influenza. I've had influenza, and it strikes you out of the blue with sudden chills, severe headache and muscle pain, high fever, and you feel like you're dying. It's not just "bit of a scratchy throat and light fever and I'm well enough to worry".

What you need is fluids (hot water with lemon, ginger and honey is good) and rest, not zofran. You might get some mild nausea, that's normal, but it won't make you vomit.
    ^^Agree with all of this.

Plus, your body temperature fluctuates like crazy. No matter what, if you measure your temperature every few minutes, it will be different by a fraction of a degree each time.