Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Emetophobia controlling my health

I have suffered with emetophobia for at least 20 years,recently it has taken over my life.3 months ago I was on holiday and was eating mash potato,it sort of went down wrong when I swallowed and it came back up a bit,I panicked so much I was going to be sick.it has now become a mental health issue because I can't eat,I'm scared to death incase it happens again,so I have developed a phobia of swallowing.i have lived on soup and protein drinks prescribed by my GP.im so desperate to be able to eat again normal without concentrating on swallowing.i panic every time I put food in my mouth.im on 40mg citalopram and 5mg diazapam but nothing is helping,I've lost so much weight and is desperate for help.

Default Re: Emetophobia controlling my health

Hey Suek, I'm so sorry you're feeling this way.

I went through something similar back in the wintertime in late 2015/early 2016. I had 0 appetite and would have panic attacks when eating or in restaurants, it was awful.

I had it in my head that swallowing would either A) trigger v* since when I was a child and I drank a glass of water I v* immediately after, which was the start of noro and B) having food in my stomach, or having my stomach working to digest freaked me out thinking I'd v* or d*.

That said, I dropped 10-15 lbs in 2 months just by not eating. I had lots of acidity since I was so anxious and had no solid food to digest. Lived off of what I could, most ensure and nutrition bars. Couldn't even get pizza down - and I LOVE pizza! What worked for me was tackling my anxiety. It's all mental I am afraid. I see you are on meds, are you seeing a therapist at all to talk about your issues? Not eating can cause more harm than good. You get tired so you can't think properly, you blood sugar can drop leaving you nauseated and dizzy, and you've already experienced the weight loss.

If you are into reading, Claire Weeke's book "Hope and Help for your Nerves" saved me, she even wrote a bit on v* phobia and eating if you're interested in some excerpts. I ate a little at a time. I started with the ensure and just ate what I could until my appetite came back. Drink lots of water, stay hydrated and remember that swallowing will NOT hurt you, nor make you v*. Also try distraction while eating. Try to watch TV while you eat, or maybe snack on some fruits or veggies while playing video or computer games, or talking with friends. IF you are distracted it will allow your body to basically go on autopilot and hopefully you could swallow properly.

Totally agree with razzle ! It's all mental although we get ourselves into such anxious states that it probably does affect our stomachs... I also got BAAAAD in winter 2015/spring 2016 to the point where after three bites of a big meal if I even felt the food reach my stomach is consider that "a weird feeling". Petrifying. I remember eating my beloved bacon roll at McDonald's and taking one bite of the hashbrown and shamefully putting the whole meal in the bin...I may have cried too. Either way, try reminding yourself that the less you eat the worse you'll feel... As soon as I came home from a hectic time at uni I began eating three meals a day, struggled at first but after indulging in chocolate and crisps and pasta I began to love food again...

The n* has probably hit me five times since May and all times were either cos of Pms, too much dessert or being in a fast car.

You'll get over this even though its scary frustrating and moreover devastating.... The positives are that people are probably leering over you as I assume you're slim or skinny and B - you're realising the problem and trying to take action. Respect for that... I've heard about so many women who turn anorexic due to our fear, it sucks

I'm sorry you are having to go through this. I am kind of going through the same thing right now except I will eat solid foods but not much at all in fear I might *v things will get better we just have to have faith

I am going on my 6th month of being so anxious that I have a problem with swallowing or eating food. I constantly feel like I will be sick, and it has caused me to lose about 20 pounds. It was so great to read that someone else has gone through what I am currently experiencing. I thank you for writing this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Razzle View Post
    Hey Suek, I'm so sorry you're feeling this way.

I went through something similar back in the wintertime in late 2015/early 2016. I had 0 appetite and would have panic attacks when eating or in restaurants, it was awful.

I had it in my head that swallowing would either A) trigger v* since when I was a child and I drank a glass of water I v* immediately after, which was the start of noro and B) having food in my stomach, or having my stomach working to digest freaked me out thinking I'd v* or d*.

That said, I dropped 10-15 lbs in 2 months just by not eating. I had lots of acidity since I was so anxious and had no solid food to digest. Lived off of what I could, most ensure and nutrition bars. Couldn't even get pizza down - and I LOVE pizza! What worked for me was tackling my anxiety. It's all mental I am afraid. I see you are on meds, are you seeing a therapist at all to talk about your issues? Not eating can cause more harm than good. You get tired so you can't think properly, you blood sugar can drop leaving you nauseated and dizzy, and you've already experienced the weight loss.

If you are into reading, Claire Weeke's book "Hope and Help for your Nerves" saved me, she even wrote a bit on v* phobia and eating if you're interested in some excerpts. I ate a little at a time. I started with the ensure and just ate what I could until my appetite came back. Drink lots of water, stay hydrated and remember that swallowing will NOT hurt you, nor make you v*. Also try distraction while eating. Try to watch TV while you eat, or maybe snack on some fruits or veggies while playing video or computer games, or talking with friends. IF you are distracted it will allow your body to basically go on autopilot and hopefully you could swallow properly.
    I am going on my 6th month of being so anxious that I have a problem with swallowing or eating food. I constantly feel like I will be sick, and it has caused me to lose about 20 pounds. It was so great to read that someone else has gone through what I am currently experiencing. I thank you for writing this post.