Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Very scared of upcoming surgery--HELP!

I have to have surgery on my uterus, with general anesthesia, and I am absolutely terrified of being n* and v* after surgery. The risk for it goes up when you are female and having the type of surgery I am having. I know you can ask the anesthesiologist to give you anti-n* drugs but I know that's also not a guarantee. I feel paralyzed by the fear and I am considering cancelling the surgery. Help!

Default Re: Very scared of upcoming surgery--HELP!

I had emergency surgery a year ago this week and literally told the anesthesiologist 10 times about my fear to the point where he assured me he was giving me a double cocktail of anti nausea in my IV.

Trust me, they don't want you throwing up after surgery when you aren't lucid enough to warn them. If you ask, they will give you oodles of anti nausea meds. And they work. Well.

The anti-n* medicine has always helped me! During /after surgery and even during labor.
    Just remind yourself you'll be in the best place possible for taking care of you and they'll give you what you need.

I've had to have general anathesia 4 times in the past couple of years because of several procedures on my teeth and each time I've been completely fine! If you explain your concerns and fear to your doctor/anesthetist they will be able to give you anti nausea which works wonders! That's what I did and when I woke up I was a bit groggy but no nausea whatsoever good luck for your surgery!