Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Is this true???

Hello everyone I just joined today its amazing that so many people have this phobia I thought I was the only one out there! My boyfriend knows all about my phobia and I know deep down he thinks I'm am wierdo!! I also have a 1 year old daughter YES a made is through pregantcy and labour with out being s**k once!! I haven't been sick since I was 16 and that was self inflicted (drunk). Does anyone find that because we have this phobia we can stop ourselves being sick even though our body wants us to?? I am just wondering because I went to tenerife back in march and I think I got sun stroke I went to my room at the end of the day and felt so sick I was just pacing the room and shaking with fear (you all know the feeling) Then later on I felt really really bad and my mouth started to water and I really thought it was guna happen but I just paced the room and it went away I wud not let myself be sick!!!!! I felt not 100% the next day but better and new I was passed the worst.

Anyone else experienced anything like that? And do you think my theory is true??

Yes, I think it is possible.I usually don't get sick with an sv*. I just lie real still so not to jiggle my stomach up. And I've heard a lot of people say a certain food did'nt "agree with them" and they v*but that has never happened to me(knock wood).
    \"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans\"-John Lennon

Hi, welcome to the group!

I do think you are right. I remember reading a few years ago in my 'Gut Reaction' (UK support group for emetophobes) newsletter about the personal experience of one member who had made the decision (her therapist agreed) to try and v* to see if helped with her phobia. She took an emetic tablet, but did not v*, so took another, but still didn't v*. By this time she was feeling pretty bad, as you can imagine, and just wanted to get things over with, so drank some salt water, and still she could not v*. Because she was so terrified of v*ing she actually subconciously stopped herself even though the meds and salt water would make most people as sick as a dog.

.•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <T>
    <TR height="100%" UNABLE="&#111;n" width="100%">
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

Hiya,

Yes, if you read previous posts, most of believe that we can actually stop ourselves from V*ing. Good to have you in the group!

Fliss x</TD></TR>
    <TR UNABLE="&#111;n" hb_tag="1">
    <TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
    You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.

x Felicity x

ahh the good old "vomit button".

yes, many a time i have stopped myself being sick too. i had sunstroke, food poisoning e.t.c. and hvent got sick from it. I pace the room, pinch at my leg, control my breathing e.t.c and sooner or later the urge to vomit goes away. so ur not the only one!!

welcome to IES

Jen xxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i don't know if its true or not about whether we can stop ourselves from throwing up or not. I haven't thrown up since I was about 9 years old and just recently everytime (well, almost everytime) when I eat I start to feel sick. I guess "normal" people would throw up (some of my friends get sick a lot more than I do) but I never do. Its just not an option for me. It scares the s*** outta me and I never wanna do it, ever. I guess one day if I'm REALLY sick I'll throw up (please god, I hope not!)but whnever I get naseous I take care of it, pace, and wait for it to go aay and it usually does. I don't understand what people mean when they say they eat something that doesn't agree with them, that doesn't make sense. How can something agree with you one day and then disagree with you the next? well, whatever. But again, I'd like to say I'm soooo happy I'm, not alone! Life is good!

o and by the way, if it is true that we can stop ourselves from being sick, than HURRAY! good good good! Then I'll never get sick! but i'll probably STILL be paranoid about it...damn

I think its just that we fight it more than most people and as (accept
    in the worst cases) your body needs slight cooperation if it doesn't
    get it it cant make itself sick, if that makes any sense, i have been
    suffering with really bad migraines recently (another lovely hereditary
    thing) and i always feel unbelievably nauseas but i always fight it and
    so far so good. I do sometimes wonder though if i am making an
    illness worse by not giving in to it, but at the end of the day
    anything is better than v*

THANK GOD!! I'm not alone thanks for your replies it make sme feel gr8 that there are alot pf people like me. xxx

I also think this is true. There have only been a few times when
    I actually could not stop myself from doing it. I was trying so
    hard not to, but it just happend. I have not been sick in 2 years
    and 6 months.....and before that is was 4 years. There have been
    times when I was sure it was gonna happen, and I willed it not
    to. So I think we do have better cotrol then most non-emets.
    Carrie

I really like what wintergreen22 put down, " It scares the s*** outta me and I never wanna do it, ever. I guess one day if I'm REALLY sick I'll throw up (please god, I hope not!)". Sorry I don't know how to do the quote so I had to type it out.

I like it because it is scary and who wants to do it but maybe that day will come that we can't fight it and we do throw up! Believe me I don't want it to happen.

well, thankyou ontariogirl. I appreciate the compliment[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]