Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

My husband just informed me that we have enough "points" from our credit card for a free hotel, airline tickets will cost less than $700, and my in-laws have agreed to watch the kids--so we can spend our 15th anniversary in the Bahamas! As you ALL know, this on the surface looks like the chance of a lifetime, but at the same time I am scared silly. This would be the first time we have gone away by ourselves. We didn't even have a honeymoon--we spent a day at Disneyland and had to rush right back to my husband's air base because that was the same day the Gulf War started.

So you all know what is holding me back. 1) the 4 hour flight 2) the time of year--January. Will I be sick with a sv*? Will I be leaving sick kids? 3) the "foreigness" of it--although I think it's a pretty tame first international step (I've been all over the US and eastern Canada but that's it). But I still worry about different food, etc.

The good part is, it is only for 4 days, so really I won't have to eat much, but then again that's the fun of it, isn't it? Ugh. I guess I just came here for you guys to cheer me on--and tell me it'll all be OK!! TIA!!!

Think warmth! GO, GO, GO!!! Yes, it is flu season, but that hasn't applied much this year anyway (look at all the people who have had kids sick or been sick themselves this summer). That's not too long of a flight (I was freaking over an hour [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]) and surely there will be tv or something. Hell, have a drink while your up there, that'll relax ya! If you leave sick kids, they will be fine. And as for you gettinga sv, chances are you won't, and if you do, well, at least there won't be any kids bugging you!

The food there is very Americanized as far as I know, and I'm sure you won't be staying in some dump, so it will all be good.

Look at it this way, if you don't go....will u regret it? How bad would you kick your rational butt (meaning our emet side can sometimes be so irrational)??

Crystal

PS...Bring back the warm air and send it up to Canada, cause in January, in Alberta, it's sooooooo cold!
    That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!

Oh ya go. Enjoy this moment....

I go through the same thing every time!!![img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]

For about 4-5 months before going on a trip I get [img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img] and [img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img] and[img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img].

The last trip we took - 3 weeks - last Dec/Jan 04/05 We flew in total

for about 48-72 hours all together!! It was quite hairy at that time too

- because of the tsusami !!! We flew from Toronto,Canada to Paris,

from Paris to Delhi, from Delhi to Dubai - spent a week there.

We took our daughter for the first time - she was going on 3 years old.

She v* only once - in Dubai because we were trying to get her to take her

anti-malaria medication - My husband said forget about it (he's an MD)

he said he'd rather risk her getting malaria than suffer from the side effects

of the meds. I was absolutely petrified of me or her getting sick - I was

beside myself.

From Dubai we flew back to Delhi and than flew to CALCUTTA, india - where

we stayed for 2 weeks. I can't begin to tell you - unless you've been there

what kinds of things you're exposed to!!![img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

It's like I go into my own caccoon - or I go through all the motions all the while

having an outer body experience THE WHOLE TIME !!!

Don't get me wrong I love India and as a westerner I don't think I could ever

get "used" to that kind of environment. We travel A LOT - all over the world.

It doesn't matter whether I'm going to L.A. or Calcutta I go through the same

fears every time - the only way I make it through is with a lot of Diazapam!!!!

I've been to the Bahamas - It's AMAZING there!! Go - or you will regret it !!

Every time I get back home from a trip I kick myself for torchering myself

for so long before I left - And even more important I kick myself for not letting

myself be more in the moment while I'm on</span> vacation - kick back- soak it all in,

and fully enjoy myself. I can't control everything but I spend most of my energy

trying - what a waste!!

Go Go Go Go - you will regret not going. Bring lots of Purell !!!

ONLY DRINK SEALED BOTTLED WATER - NO ICE CUBES! Stay away from

raw salads they've been washed with tap water. Don't eat meat.

I do these things no matter where I go!! I've never v**

(I'm knocking on wood right now.) [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

Hope I helped - sorry for rambling.

P.S. We're going to Dallas and Houston TX in a few months - already going

through the motions. I really want to go and see if I can do anything to help

with the victims of Katrina.

DON'T WORRY ABOUT THS TRIP! I'm an emet too and I was sooo scared to go to the Bahamas for a weekend with my mom on her birthday that I almost didn't go. I was scared for the airplane ride and then the smaller aircraft that we had to ride afterward. I thought that the turbulance would make me or someone else sick and I would have no where to go. Then I was afraid that since we would be staying in a hotel other people would be on vacationas well and partying and drinking too much and getting sick. Then there was the issue of the food. I was scared I was going to get food poisoned. But seriously, I had sooo much fun! The weather was a bit windy when I went and hot at the same time butit was such a gorgeous vacation. The waters were beautiful and clear, andthe warm air was such a comfort. I didn't have ONE panic attack there, whereas at home I have maybeone- three a day! You will have so much fun! Please don't worry too much that you'll get sick, because you won't. Your children will be fine and (no offence) probably won't even notice that you're gone!Enjoy the Bahamas! Its such a beautiful comforting place. The people are friendly and the beaches will definititly make you forget about your troubles. You'll be fine and you'll have a blast! Take pictures though! Lots of them!

Aww, thanks everyone! I'm not going to let this stop me!

You guys are the best!

I am sure you have but have you thought of taking Dramamine on the plane.
    I've had to do that. It relaxes me the same time...hopefully no air sickness.
    For any boats too. Might try it before you go. A full dose puts me out
    because I've never done any drugs or much alchohol (see, I can't even spell it
    or did I ?) . Please have fun. Sometimes I have to say "I want to have fun
    like everyone else!!!" But I could only honestly say that after a few months of
    serious prayer : )

GO! You should definately go! I know that if I had the chance to go to the Bahama's I would totally take it! I hate planes...I mean I REALLY hate them and not just for the fact that someone might get airsick...I think you should DEFINATELY go! Do not pass up a chance like this!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

eek! Last night we bought the plane tickets!! I'm scared and excited all at once! I'm very proud of myself so just had to share I think it will bea great first international travel experience--kinda like just dipping my toes in . We're only going for 4 days so a lot of my vacation troubles won't have time to set in (won't go into details but I always get constipated which leads to the nausea and the downward spiral, I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about). I feel very comfortable leaving my kids with my mil and if they're sick I know she will dote on them as much as I would. So we are set! Just had to share! Thanks for the pep talks!!!!

Paula