Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I can't really swallow medicines without gagging nowadays. I think it is because when I was younger my father tried to get me to swallow one of those worm tablets you have to take when one person in your family gets worms. I worked myself into such a state, when it came to trying to swallow it, I gagged and spat it out on the carpet.

Now I'm really worried because the year I'm going into at school has lots of injections- one of them is an oral one. Basically they squirt a foul tasting liquid into your mouth.

I'm really scared because I just know I will gag, and i really don't want to be sick. Does anyone have any tips for swallowing medicine/tablets? I just can't seem to stop myself from gagging. Also I'd be interested to know whether anyone else here finds it hard to swallow medication. Thanks everyone!

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <T>
    <TR height="100%" UNABLE="&#111;n" width="100%">
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

Hiya,

I find it IMPOSSIBLE to swallow any pills-I have taken some calming recently but have to cut them them up so thyre 4 times smaller with a pill cutter! I take it you're talking about the Polio, Diptheria and Tetnus jab? Well i have to say I avoided mine and didn't have it at school. Then, I got stung by a bee and they said I really need it etc, so I had to have it at the doctors. The polio bit, that goes in your mouth is just like 2 drops of salt water-it's nothing! AND you have have a big swig of water afterwards without tasting anything. So basically, it wasn't traumatic at all-and at least it's not a pill you have to swallow!

Fliss x</TD></TR>
    <TR UNABLE="&#111;n" hb_tag="1">
    <TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
    You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.

x Felicity x

IThankyou, it's the Polio, Diptheria an Tetanus one .I guess it probably won't cause that much of a problem then, and my sister said at our school what the health official people do is they give you two Haribo sweets afterwards to take the tasta away. Heehee- I can swallow that!

I wonder if it is a thing common to emetophobics, I mean, not being able to swallow tablets? I know I certainly can't- medicine too. I just hate the idea of it going down. I also had a bad experience with Pepto Bismol where I had it, stopped feeling sick, but actually got ill later. But- before i put you all of Pepto Bismol completely- I guess I might have been ill anyway and while Pepto Bismol stops you feeling ill, if you've got food poisoning or a bug, it won't stop you being sick altogether.

I get stomach aches a lot and whenever I get them now, I'm supposed to swallow these huge capsules. I read the bold print on the prescription label and it states: "Do not crush or chew. Swallow whole". Has anyone got any ideas on how to take them? Because well, they are rather large- my "regular tablet taking for all kind of problem"friends have agreed so too. And I'm kinda worried it won't go down.

Hey just to say when I had the Polio one she told me she could either squirt it in my mouth or put it with sugar or on a sugar cube. So she stuick it on a sugar cube, I ate it and it was fine. I tasted it a lil and it's not so bad. Just wash it down with some juice or something and it will be fine. You don't even need to worry about it hon *hugs*

Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Thank-you

I have the biggest problem swallowing tablets too! I had to take 4 huge capsules TWICE a day to get rid of this bacteria in my stomach... before that I hadn't taken capsules like that (especially not 4 in a row...) and the night before I kept having light naps thinking about taking it and being able to.... very restless night. Anyway I managed to do a day and a half of it but after that I kept putting the capsule at the back of my mouth and spitting it out!! I booked an emergency appointment with the doctor and told him I couldn't swallow them... I thought 'oh no, what if there is no alternative, whats going to happen?!' Luckily there was an alternativein suspension form (hahaha one was called a paediatric suspension). Anyway my point is ask the doctor if there is another form for the tablets you got to take, usually there is one.

When it comes to swallowing tablets I freak out, my mum told me that I have to put it as far down my throat as I can and then drink... but that makes one gag doesn't it? If you can manage that then go for it. I find capsules scarier than round tablets for some reason... they look bigger!!!

At least you know your not the only one with this problem... when I was struggling to take my tablets my mum was shouting at me because she couldn't understand why I was in such a state, and my boyfriend found it funny!

I know! My parents always yell at me telling me that I'm making a fuss over nothing. I really am not sure why I can't swallow them, might be something to do with my emetophobia and the gagging incident when I was a child.

Aha! I've found it- the fear of taking medicines is called Pharmacophobia.Edited by: s0ccer_princess

Wow you guys...I have to take 4 pills A DAY. When I was little I had problems with swallowing pills, I used to hate it cause I remember once taking a vitamin and it got caught in my throat. So when My parents told me I was going on meds I freaked out. But I've done it so much since then I don't even think about it when I swallow them. I'm sorry you guys have such problems with that. It must REALLY suck!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I know this might sound a bit strange but hey...

I found out just this past month what helps me swallow pills...I use to put
    my head back but that didn't work but if I put my shoulders back as far as I
    can and sit real straight the pill goes down really easy. So I don't know if this
    would work for anyone else but you might give it a try : D Sometimes it's the
    simple things that work.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I used to have a hard time swallowing pills as well. I spoke w/ my doctor about it and he said that it's all muscle control and that some people have tighter throat muscles than others. My father had the same problem, so I think it's a genetic thing. I was really sick several years back and was determined to swallow my medication. I found that if I swish the pill and water around in my mouth 5 times it relaxes my throat muscles enough to swallow the pill.For the pills that are large, I cut them in half and it works just fine. I'm 29 and just started taking pills about 3 years ago. Better late then never.
    &lt;a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"&gt;&lt;/a&gt ; ; ;

Really? So you say it's a gentic thing?

That's interesting, because my Dad had the same sort of throat problems I have (build-up in the back of the throat of mucus), so maybe we both have/had a throat thing?