Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Don't we all agree that it is time there was more awareness of emet? More awareness would mean more help professionals learning about the illness, and more help being available to more people. Perhaps someone would even find a hard and fast way to help sufferers. ANyway, yesterday I sent an e-mail to GMTV (Very widely watched Breakfast TV programme over here with a resident doctor) asking if it was at all possibly that Dr Hilary could maybe even consider doing a segment on Emet. It is world mental health day on October 10th so maybe the e-mail will have been fairly well timed for them. I appreciate that it is unlikely that they will be able to do something, but you don't know until you ask huh? Maybe the rest of you from the UK shoudl contact them also - if there are enough of us it may make it more likely that they do someting, I don't know.
    <center><font face=\"Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><font size=\"4\"><font color=Magenta>I\'d Reach for the stars but I can\'t find my arms...</font></font>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

wow.. yenn iv been thnking exactly the same thing.. if only there was
    more awareness of people like us... im in aus and hav tried to figure
    out how i cud spread the word but im scared that to any talk show our
    case wud seem ridiculous to the producers and my suggestion be
    completely overlooked as a 'non-worthy' issue to be tlaked
    about.. and thats wot i hate ! cos so many ppl do think its so
    stupid.. but its not! this riddles our lives wit fear stress worry and
    anxiety.. its awful!!! i realy hope they consider ur email and hav a
    segment on it that wud be so great and so wonderful for all of us!!!<!--
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    window.open = SymWinOpen;
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
    window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//-->

stef - everything happens for a reason

Thats such a good idea, if they did do a piece on it i may even be incouraged to get out of bed early enough to watch it![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

i hope you get on there! that woul dbe awesome
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Yeah there definately needs to be more awareness about the phobia! More people have it then you think. I posted a topic called Emetophobia on the ER boards and there were quite a few people who had the phobia but never knew what it was called. Some people replied and said I was being stupid cause V*ing isn't that bad but other people found this site and were happy I brought it up! I hope you get on TV with that!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Wow, I totally don't want to be the one on TV - for starters I can't even consider travelling all the way to London....maybe we could get Jenneh to do it!!! But seriously, they should at least talk about it, that would be great.
    <center><font face=\"Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><font size=\"4\"><font color=Magenta>I\'d Reach for the stars but I can\'t find my arms...</font></font>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

wow, i'd definately be up to help. although GMTV has to be the most boring show ever AND its on ITV....[img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img]

That would be fantastic to get some more awareness, i'll definately send them an email to back yours up yenn. A few months ago on GMTV they had a week long indepth look at people with all kinds of anxiety disorders, there were people suffering with OCD, phobias etc and they had this hypnotist guy who helped them. One poor man had a phobia of food and by the end of the week he was not only touching the things he feared he was also trying to eat them so maybe there could be some light at the end of the tunnel for us emets, if we can raise enough awareness.

I live in London, i'd definitely be up fortalking to Doc Hilary andi have already spoken to the 'Trisha' programme and they are going to have me on when they do a phobia and eating disorderepisode. The thing with emet is people from the outside see it as an eating disorder most of the time, they don't realise how terrifying the prospect of being sick is to us. It took ages to get through to my doctor that i was starving myself because i was petrified of being sick not because i thought i was fat and even then he was convinced i was being abused by my boyfriend and that was why i was starving myself! Medically it is very hard to get diagnosed as it is 'just a phobia' and i reckon that if Doc Hilary were to talk about it on tv then that would make people realise just how debilitating the phobia really is.

Trinity

That's a truly lovely idea!

I watch GMTV every morning before going to school and I'd love to see someone here on there. No-one does seem to understand what it is about, my friends just think that in confessing to them I have emet, it's just a fancy term for saying I dislike being sick. But it's so different!

Anyway, good for you for having that idea! I'd like to see Dr Hilary or one of the psychologists try to tackle it. And they could even tell people who are out there with this phobia that they are not alone, and that places like this site are available to them.

Good luck in getting the item on there!

great idea! i really hope that they do something about it and raise awareness! it would be great if they could do a feature, like those where they follow sufferers of various problems, with somebody who has emet. if any of you watched 'This Morning' (another morning programme), where they featured a girl who had a chocking phobia to the point she could not eat and had to liquidise ALL her meals? they featured her story and now she is on the road to recovery. i think it'd be great if they had a feature on emet.

xxx
    ~I don\'t know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone~

msn:

Wow I didn't expect such a positive response, thanks guys! I just think that when things like this have attention drawn to them , it can't be anything but a good thing. Obviously the chance of it being discussed is only slight but I do have my fingers crossed.

Did anybody watch the Supernanny episode either last week or the week before about the little boy who would only eat chips? I found that very moving and it was so much like how a lot of us are.

I saw the Supernanny episode Yenn and i wanted to scream at the parents when they were trying to stuff food into that poor little boy's mouth, they had no idea just how terrifying his phobia was to him. My heart really went out to him as i know how that feels to be afraid of food as so many others here do too.

Yes, that just made me want to cry, it was awful, I felt traumatised just watching it. I wish I had recorded it because I really think a lot of it would have been helpful to apply to myself in terms of eating habits. Ah well never mind. Isn't it odd though how far some people will go, his mother was a lunatic, poor kid!