Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Is it true that General Anaesthetics make you sick? I may have a gallstone and need to get it removed and obviously need to be put asleep. I'm worried about being sick when waking up though... How many of you have had it, and were you sick after at all? If so how long did you feel that way? How long does it take for the effects to wear off? [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

Its really scary...
    Whatever decreaseth fear increaseth courage.

hi helgio, Ive had a general anaesthetic a few times and never felt
    sick afterwards or even queasy!although my mum when she has
    anaesthetic has felt ill afterwards, she now tells the doctor before
    the operation that she has a bad reaction and they give her drugs to
    stop her being ill, im sure you could request the same, sorry im not
    sure the name of the drugs but if you infor yr doctor before im sure
    they can sort you out with something! hope this helps
    best wishes for your operation, [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

just noticed if you check the post "advice please" under your post
    there are the name of some of the anti emetic drugs you could
    request!Edited by: oibird

I have been under anesthesia once with no problems. THey always ask if you have had a bad reaction and if yo say yes, they give you somthing beforehand. My mom had a reaction to anesthisia before and I told them that, so the gave me whatever drug "just in case". The only thing I did not like about being put under was when you wake up they take that tube out of your mouth. It is like gagging, but I was still so out of it, it was ok. My mother-in-law just had her gallbladder out Monday, and I don't think she had a bad reaction to the anesthisia, but she did have horrible runs and messed up my guest bathroom. The doc said the runs are to be expected. Just a FYI.

I've never been sick, but always groggy. A lot of people mention anti-emetics... so maybe you should mention that to your doc. However, they'll probably have you doped up on pain medication upon waking up.. so I'm sure you will be fine. My aunt had one removed, and she was really groggy afterwards.. but not sick.. and I've always felt the same way
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...

The doctors in the U.S seem to be very compassionate... mabbe because over there you have to pay upfront, but what about our National Health Service in the U.K? If you ask for Anti-emetics in your solution will they provide it for you?

For the Brits in this forum that have had operations via the NHS, would you say you were taken good care of?

although im living in germany for the past year im actually from the
    uk so the info in my post is based on the nhs service, you are still
    able to request anti emetic drugs so dont worry,[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I had general anesthesia for a minor surgery 3 years ago and they gave me something right before they woke me up for nausea. I didn't feel nauseated at all. Very groggy, and slightly dizzy, but no nausea. Later on that night though, I ate probably more than I should and I felt a little nauseated but I laid down and it went away. I did not *v*. Be sure and tell them about your fear of *v* and they will give you something!

Jess

I had my gallbladder out and a hysterectomy in Aug. 2004. Obviously I was put to sleep with general anesthesia for these surgeries. I told my nurse and my anesthesia doc about my fear of V* and he assured me that he would give me something before, during, and right before the woke me up to keep me from getting sick. Everything went fine and I NEVER felt sick!!!!

I have been put under twice, once for a dental operation and once for an endoscopy, and I was never sick from the drugs.And I used to be unable to swallow pills, so I couldn't even take the anti-emetic pill they tried to give me before the tooth operation! And I was still fine. It really hits me hard as far as grogginess - it takes me much, much longer to wake up than most people - but I still never felt sick. Actually I was really hungry afterwards

Hope it goes well!

I've been under 11 times, never v' once any of the times. Though since my fear popped up, I ask for Zofran, keeps you from getting sick.

Good luck, hope you get to feeling better soon.

When I had my gallbladder out I wasn't sick at all. The only symptom that I got from being knocked out was shaking, I was freezing. I get that everytime I am knocked out and actually there are people out there who are the same, that is what the nurse told me.
    I had 3 tiny incisons and thats it

Shaking can be a side effect of the anesthesia too. When my children were born, I had the shaking from the epidural. I'll taking the shakin over the pukin!!!!

I agree Leigh[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I just had surgery on Monday, and I didn't feel sick at all. I have been under 3 times, and I have never been sick. I think the worrying andanxietyover if you will be sick is worse, you will see. In fact, even if you did get sick, you probably wouldn't remember or for that care, cause your so out of it anyway. And it usually takes a day or so for the drugs to work there way out of your system, but if your not sick when you wake up, the changes of you getting sick after that go down. Please don't worry, I was just through this on Monday, and it really wasn't as bad as you think.

Michele

hi, i have been put under to have stitches before. They were right next to my eye so they wouldnt do it while i was awake because i couldnt sit still [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]. I did not feel ill at all after, but i was only under for a short while. The only thing i had was a sore throat when i woke up from where i had a tube down my throat. I didnt not gag when they took it out because i was still completely out of it! If you talk to your doctor about your fear they would do all they can to keep you relaxed, they dont want you to have extra stress because they want you to recover quickly. Please do not stress out about it, there is no need to, you will be fine

Whats this about a tube down your throat? Whats it for? Plus can they take it out when your asleep so you don't feel it?

It is called intubation. They but you on a respirator when you are under
    general anesthesia. They suppress a lot of your normal body functions and
    the respirator keeps your airway clear and assures that you continue to get
    good oxygen saturation in your blood.

As far as i know they take the tube out whilst you are comming round so you wont feel it unless i suppose you have had a major operation (as in a transplant etc) and you goto intensive care after. In that case they will probably leave it in if you cannot breath on your own. But for a smaller operation like a gall stone removal, it will be taken out when you start comming round so you wont even know it was there in the first place.

All 3 surgeries, I don't remember at all them taking out the tube. You will have no idea, cause you won't be awake yet. All you do is get a scratcy throat after.

I have been put under general anesthesia three times and I never remember the tube being pulled out, that is generally done before the wake you up. Michele is right though, your throat will be sore from it. They put it in after you are asleep. Here in the states, they usually give you something to relax you before they actually put you to sleep. When I had my gallbladder out, they gave me the meds to relax me, and I dont even remember being in the OR. I feel asleep on my own from the Versed (the med to relax me) and then next thing I know, my surgery was over and I was in my room!!!!