Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

as a lot of you on here im absolutely terrified of the dentist, my needle phobia is as bad as my emet an i hate havin to sit with my mouth open for ages an not bein able to swallow its really horrible - is there anything that you guys do to get you thru these visits? im so scared an im really depressed about it - ive had mouth ache for months an I just dont know what to do! please help x
    \'I know it aint easy, but thats okay because we\'re hopeful....\' - Faith Evans

The needle pain is far less than that af the mouth pain. I don't think ANYBODY likes the dentist, but they're as necessary as they are expensive. I think the worst part of it all is the novicaine. (It's worse than the needle in my opinion). I had a large cavity filled in a few months ago. (I should've gone sooner, but like you I was afraid). Then I couldn't stand it anymore, and made the appointment. My point is, you should go now before it progresses into something worse. I was very lucky to escape haveing a root canal. So if all you need is one or 2 needles, to get a quick filling or something... you're better off doing that before it turns into extremely bad pain, and THEN having a dentist work on you on top of that.
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...

[img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img] thankyou
    \'I know it aint easy, but thats okay because we\'re hopeful....\' - Faith Evans

A lot of dentists are more sympathetic to dental fears now because so many people are afraid of the dentist. I'm sure if you told the nurse or receptionist before you go about your phobia they would do everyhting they could to make you comfortable. They may even give you a sedative!

Oh yeah, I forgot... whenI got my wisdom teeth removed, they gave me nitris oxide (spelling?) or something like that. I REALLY don't like the dentist, and I was petrified of the thought of being awake for the procedure.. BUT... after they gave me the gas, I didn't have a care in the world... I was like "You're gonna do what to me?.... Oh.. alright.. whatever". So maybe ask them about that or something.
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...

I take XANAX for anxiety before I go to the dentist..works like a charm!

thanku guys you're stars!