Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi everyone, im in a real panic. My freinds here at uni are all muslim
    and fasting at the moment, tonight they invited me to thier flat to
    break the fast with them. It was a nightmare, they show thier
    generosity through thier food so they kept piling all this food onto my
    plate!

When we got to dessert there was home made tiramisu. It was sponge
    fingers with a coffee and cream sauce, id never had it before so i only
    had a small bit. I was eating it and one of the other girls asked the
    other how she made it and she said it was made with raw egg whites! As
    soon as i heard that i stopped eating and now am in a real panic! what
    if they were not lion eggs, i was too embarrased to ask if they were
    lion or not. Im terrified now that im going to get salmonella.

Am i worrying for no reason? Im terrified now, i got in such a state that i had to make an excuse to come home :'(

Hey honey *hugs* it's gonna be ok. Sometimes yeah people get ill from egg but it is RARE and usually cos they have done dumb things like leaving mayo in the sun for ages. People eat raw egg all the time everyday in places all round the world and a tiny % of them get ill. Some people eat raw egg like everyday and never get sick from it. And most eggs over here ARE Lion eggs. I know it's hard not to panic over it but I'm so sure you will not V* and then you can say it's a triumph!! lol *kiss* you'll be just fine.

xxxxxxxx
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Hi thank you so much for your reply, im in such a state and i feel so
    sick already, but its probably from anxiety. I didnt eat much of it, i
    only asked for a small bit and i didnt finish it. im so terrified of
    getting sick :'(

I promise you honey it's just nerves, I was like this once when I accidently ate something with mayo in it and freaked out for like....a day and a half but I was fine and you will be too. *hugs*
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

when i was little we used to bake cakes all the time and everytime i used to eat a load of the uncooked mixture, which contained raw egg. In all the times i did it i never got ill and i doubt back then there were half the checks in place on eggs that there are now.

yea i like brownie batter )))
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Sorry this is off-topic . . . but what are lion eggs???

I'm sure you'll be fine hollyjean! How are you feeling now? Hope you are past the panicking you were feeling earlier!

I take Food for GCSE and for the last two lessons, wev've been doing our practicals where we make stuff.

I chose to make chocolate chip muffins, and after filling up all of the muffin cases, I had a lot of spare muffin mix. My friends were more than happy to eat it, (how do they do that?!), and there was quite a lot of it, and they never got ill.

Bear in mind they did this both of the times I made it, and both times they ate the raw mix. A few other people had cake mixes too with raw egg and people tried them. I have never heard of anyone at all get food poisoning from cooking at my school. (touch wood hehe )

Besides, it only makes you ill if it already had a problem anyway. I mean, like my friends said to me when I pushed the bowl of mix to them: "Susie, people eat sushi all of the time an they don't get food poisioning do they?".

I hope you're well.

hiya, thanks so much for your reassurance, i feel a bit better now although im still very n* but im guessing thats from anxiety.

In the UK most eggs are stamped with a red lion symbol which means they come from chickens that have been tested for and vaccinated against salmonella and are generally safe. However not all eggs have the lion mark and i dont know what type they used to make the desert :S

Iv really not had a good few days Last night i had my microbiology lab session and we got back our agar plates we made two weeks ago. We had to do a test for our aseptic technique and guess what, mine were absolutely perfect, there was no contamination what so ever on any of my plates, so being emet is good for somethings

But then we had to pack away and put the dishes in a tub to be destroyed and an idiot in my class bumped into me making me drop my plates on the floor. The lids come off and i got a sudden wiff of a really nasty smell, i also had to pick up the open plates. So iv been panicing all day that dropping the plates disturbed the bacteria and made them airborne and i breathed them in and now infected with e coli (its deffinately only ecoli) sometimes i think im going crazy

i dont think you can breathe in e coli. what is an agar pplate?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Whoa! What a line of study for an e-phobe LOL.

Hey, here in the colonies we have this TV channel called Food Network
    with a chef named Emeril Lagasse. If I had a nickle for every time I
    saw him eat some mixture with raw anything (you name it), I'd be a
    millionaire.

Not only that, many Caesar salads are made with raw egg and I think
    it's foolish to eat raw eggs but people who don't know better eat them
    anyway.

With that said, and I don't mean to worry you but I read somewhere that
    1 in 6 eggs contained harmful bacterium, whether it's enough to make
    you sick is the question.

I also thought Tiramisu was baked in the oven for a spell?[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]
    You know I can't keep my desserts straight but I think I had that
    recently and believe me, I wouldn't have eaten it if it wasn't cooked
    first. And if it wasn't, I managed to pull through. So cheer up
    buttercup! Only 2 days left untiil you can breathe a sigh of relief.
    Keep yourself occupied.

an agar plate is a round plastic dish also called a petri dish. Agar is a jelly type substance in the dish that contains loads of nutrients for bacteria to grow on.

Im not sure what the desert actually was, it wasnt real tiramissu because its supposed to have alcohol in and this one didnt. It was basically sponge fingers in a coffee and cream sauce. When they said it had raw eggs in of course i had to ask more questions about how it was made. They said it was egg whites only beaten till fluffy with cream and mascarpone poured over sponger fingers dipped into coffee.

It actually tasted really nice, i only had a tiny bit of it so im hoping that if it was bad, i didnt eat enough to make me ill. Other people ate loads and loads of it. If id known it had raw eggs in i would not have touched it, as soon as she said it did i stopped eating. Im also kinda hoping that even if it was bad, being an emet i would only get d* or something.

Im still a bit of a mess, i have a lab report due tomorrow which im having a hard time finishing due to all this anxiety. Its getting really late now and im terrified to go to bed incase i wake up sick in the night, if im awake i can fight it.

iv tried to get onto the chat room but cant. would anyone be willing to talk to me for a while? if anyone can my msn is [email protected]

It sounds like merengue, and everybody eats that. The whites are fluffed up with so much air anyway there wouldn't be enough to get you sick especially since you only had a little bit
    <font color=BLUE>~Paula~</font>

The egg whites are not where the problem lies.....if I remember correctly from high school it is the yolk that is the problem....and even then it has to be BAD....it's like meat. you can eat undercooked meat as long as it's not bad. Don't mean I'm gonna eat it but it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by bexcelica
    yea i like brownie batter )))

Yay! I love that =P I'm such a sucker for any kind of raw cake mix.

You'll be fine, hollyjean! I've heard of people actually drinking raw eggs. I mean...I don't think they'd taste too good, but it definitely wouldn't kill you ^_^

Sorry to hear you're having a rough couple of days! My msn is [email protected] if you'd ever like to chat.

Quote Originally Posted by hollyjean

hiya, thanks so much for your reassurance, i feel a bit better now although im still very n* but im guessing thats from anxiety.

In the UK most eggs are stamped with a red lion symbol which means they come from chickens that have been tested for and vaccinated against salmonella and are generally safe. However not all eggs have the lion mark and i dont know what type they used to make the desert :S

Iv really not had a good few days Last night i had my microbiology lab session and we got back our agar plates we made two weeks ago. We had to do a test for our aseptic technique and guess what, mine were absolutely perfect, there was no contamination what so ever on any of my plates, so being emet is good for somethings

But then we had to pack away and put the dishes in a tub to be destroyed and an idiot in my class bumped into me making me drop my plates on the floor. The lids come off and i got a sudden wiff of a really nasty smell, i also had to pick up the open plates. So iv been panicing all day that dropping the plates disturbed the bacteria and made them airborne and i breathed them in and now infected with e coli (its deffinately only ecoli) sometimes i think im going crazy

Ah! I remember this from Year 8 science. We each got an agar jelly plate, and we had to take samples from places (our fingers with no washing, after washing with water, and after washing with antibacterial soap, plus from the floor, table, counters, etc.) and then we got them back the next lesson and admired them. Unfortunately we were not sure as to which way it went up, and all of the condensation from the plates leaked out, plus bacteria, onto our hands. Our science teacher told us after washing it would be fine, only if we licked the plate or literally rubbed our hands in it and licked them then we could get a bit of an infection.

I also had an open wound on my hand, which the bacterial condensationy stuff went into and we wondered for a few days whether anything would become of it, naming my finger: "Mr Pathogenic Bacteria". I was fine, even after direct contact with like a wound.

Hope you feel better now. )

Hi, its now 53 hours since i was exposed and until tonight i have been
    doing good. I have had very bad D* within the last hour and have the
    nasty stomach cramps that go with it. Im really scared this is the
    beginning of salmonella poisoning or something. I did not eat all day
    until my mum made me tonight so i have been drinking flat coke all day
    to keep my blood sugar up. I drink coke alot, but always the sugar free
    stuff but today iv drank way too much of the full sugar one, do you
    think this could cause the d*? I have drunk sooo much of it, i didnt
    realise until just now how much it actually was :S

Also with food poisoning do you usually get d* or v* first? Im kinda
    hoping that having d* will mean i wont v* now because it has passed
    through.

can someone please offer me some reassurance, my anxiety levels have
    been way down again today and i was feeling quite good but now im back
    to the anxiety again. I dont think the d* was anxiety based because i
    wasnt anxious until after the d*.

I feel pretty n* now but i think thats because of anxiety

wow Its amazing how easy it is to worry yourself sick.

you are fine. I have been known to eat raw cookie dough, raw brownie mix ( like other said) and raw anything mix untill theres not enough to bake with. lol.

I have never gotten ill, and I don't worry about it.

You are fine. I promice you are just worrying youself over nothing!
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

Has anyone else who ate the dessert become ill?

You need to:

1.) Eat. Even if it's toast &amp; jam or soup.. Whatever, just eat
    normal. Not eating will not prevent you from V* but it can make it
    harder for your body to fight infections.

2.) Stay busy. Rent movies.

its possible the sugar that has given you d*, i know it can have a laxative effect, especially if u have eaten nothing else. also my friend did a food hygiene course and she told me if you get d* first you wont v* because the virus has already passed through your stomach and is in your intestines, i dont know how true that is but it makes sense.

How are you feeling now?

Quote Originally Posted by nicki

friend did a food hygiene course and she told me if you get d* first you wont v* because the virus has already passed through your stomach and is in your intestines, i dont know how true that is

I think it depends on if it's the food or the virus. Because you can have both at the same time. So I don't know how true that is either.
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...

hi everyone, i passed my 72 hours last night and i survived Thank
    you so much for your support, i know i must seem completely crazy but
    no matter how hard i tried, i couldnt escape the anxiety. I felt like i
    had a time bomb inside of me just waiting to go off, it was awfull.
    Even though it didnt make me sick, i will not be eating any food with
    raw egg in again just because of the stress it caused me. I am eating
    fine today and kinda pigged out a bit last night, my bf bought me
    chinese takeaway My mum is also cooking a roast dinner atm and it
    smells so good, i will deffinately be eating again today :P

thank you so much everyone *hugs*

Don't worry about it, you are not crazy!

God, the amount of times I've posted my "raw food this.." "undercooked that" "can I get ill from X".

My last one was worrying about getting ill from stale cereal. XD

You know how you can laugh about it now, only at the time it seemed so awful? Yup, I always get that. Right now I have that for worrying about this pasta I ate which made me ill before. Man do I feel stupid now!

We all go through it, I don't think you're stupid at all.