Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Last night, upon returning on the LAX>IAD redeye, I was
    awoken two hours into the flight by a public address announcement "if
    there is a doctor on
    board, please ring your flight attendant call button, we have a sick
    passenger." I
    immediately jumped to the conclusion that someone on the plane has a
    highly-contagious stomach virus that I am now doomed to catch (as is
    the typical thought pattern of ourparticular phobia.) Needless to say,
    I began to panic and did not sleep for the rest of the flight. My wife
    had my pill case in her bag which she was using as a pillow so I did
    not want to wake her to get my Xanax. So I had the worst panic attack
    I've had in a month.

I am wondering if anyone can provide me
    some reassurance that "sick passenger" does not necessarily indicate
    someone
    who "got ill" that way. The cabin was naturally dark so it was hard to
    see what was going on in the back of the plane, but I did see some
    hurried flight attendant movements back and forth. I did NOT observe
    any gloves or "biohazard"
    type suits being worn though. But nevertheless, our phobia has got me
    beat on this one.

My wife swears that she did not smell v* or di* as I did (sorry) and
    that she has a very sensitive sense of smell so she would have smelled
    it - she thinks I was having an "olofactory hallucination" brought on
    by panic.

What if someone did V on the plane? Would the air circulation have aerosolized the droplets and gotten it in me?

Also when I was rummaging for pills I absent-mindedly took my gasx with
    my hands but I did not remember to Purell them first because I was in
    such a panic - could THAT have exposed me? My hands touched a bathroom
    door and the plane seat and my luggage since the last time I used the
    Purell.

Thanks everyone,

Lewis

Lewis,

I'm sure they wouldn't have made the announcement if someone was V'ing from airsickness, virus, or food poisoning. The person was probably exibiting signs of a heart attack, stroke, or panic attack.Trust me that my first thoughts would have been exactly the same as yours, that's the emet in us. Flight attendants deal with sick passengers all the time and it's doubtful they would have announced anything had it not been serious.

I think that if someone was merely throwing up, that there wouldn't have been such an affair. I'm sure they wouldn't have requested a doctor. Perhaps there was someone on board w/ some kind of health condition that needed medical attention. Or perhaps someone passed out on the plane and the passengers were scared. I think that if "IT" was there, you would've heard it going on. I don't think ANYONE wants to sit next to someone who is S* w/ a stomach virus.

I think you'll be fine. I can totally understand your panic under the circumstances; I'm sure it caused anxiety in others aside from yourself.

Also, I think that you will be fine. (I was playing with my dog earlier and then rubbed my eyes w/o even thinking w/o washing..)

Relax, you will be fine. I think you're just still a little panicky. If it was anything major, I'm sure the fligth crew would have informed the passengers
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...

I agree with the others. They would probably not call a doctor unless it was something serious. As said in previous posts, flight attendants deal with *v* all of the time, so I doubt it was a sv or air sickness. I certainly hope it wasn't anything serious though.

I know this must have been a traumatizing event for you, but I think you will be fine as far as germs are concerned.

Jess

Thanks everyone. You are absolutely right - I am still a LOT panicky.
    It's been a really scary emet weekend. On Saturday night we visited my
    best friend who I haven't seen in 3 years and met his baby daughter -
    he neglected to tell me that he has two ill-behaved, huge, dirty
    doggies. Well one of them stuck his tongue further down my throat than
    my wife ever had. I was freaking out inside but kept my stuff together
    just because I had been looking forward to seeing my friend for so long
    - and then had the most "adventurous" sushi dinner that I have had
    since my emet flared up over a year ago. But the business yesterday
    with the sick passenger and the taking the pills without first washing
    really pushed me over the edge. I've been staring at my lunch for the
    last 2 hours but am afraid to eat it.

I was doing SO WELL, too.... [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]... embarrassed...

hi Lewis-

I wouldnt worry if I were you. I have family that works for an airline, and if someone had v*ed they definitely would have been wearing gloves, if not some sort of biohazard gear. It's generally procedure in case the person had something contagious. If someone had v*ed, you probablywould have notnot smelled the v* itself, but a strong odor of coffee grounds or cleaner, no matter howpowerful the ventilation system. Also, if someone had just v*ed, even if it were more than once, its not so unusual that they would ask if a doctor in onboard. Unfortunately, its pretty standard on commercial flights..... :S

My best guess would be that someone was either experiencing chest pain or respiratory distress.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't worry about it - if someone was just v* they wouldn't make a call on board for a doctor to come!

Okay - take a few breaths. I have a dear friend who is a flight attendant. She told me that the ONLY time the flight attendants ask for doctor assistance is when there is a breathing/potential heart situation. V*** never ever ever calls for a doctor.

I was a two separate flights when doctors were summoned. Once from Hawaii to San Francisco, the old woman behind me was having breathing problems due to altitude. On another flight from Reno to Denver, they asked for a doctor. The flight attendant told me during our lay over in Denver that that always seems to happend from Reno. She said gambling, drinking and no sleep coupled with high altitudes to flight over the Rockies always finds one person on flight who "thinks" they are having a heart attack.

You need not worry - at all.

Stella

Drugs.

It was probably drug related.

RE: the dogs, from what I've read on the subject, it's actually quite
    safe to french kiss dogs unless they've been eating human poop instead
    of their own.

But I can't believe you take airplanes or eat sushi! What's up with that, man. Are you an e-phobe or not?

I don't think that you should question someone on their emetophobia just because they are comfortable doing things that you are not. Many emets go on planes etc and I'm proud of each of them as it is something I wouldn't be able to do.
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

I can't stand flying, but sometimes it's a necessary evil.

I hate how our emet makes us jump to the conclusion that everything and anything equates to v'ing. When my obsessions are bad, I think everything is about v'ing... I'm sure alot of people on the boards remember me freaking out last winter that I didn't like the fact that there were display upon display upon display of ginger ale, 7-up, and sprite in the grocery stores and I thought it was because of rampant sickness and people needed to buy these things for that. It's the phobia talking. Try not to let it over rule your thoughts (I know it's hard).

The first thing I thought of when reading your experience on the flight - someone had a heart attack. I'm sure they've got a plan to follow when someone is sick v'ing, and I doubt it includes asking for a doctor.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

I just wanted to add in response to liriodendron's shock at lewis flying and eating sushi.... we are each different here. There are people that are emet that have kids, aren't hand washing obsessive, go out in public, go to amusement parks, fly on airplanes,work asnurses, doctors, etc. I have troubledoing many of those things myself, but happen to not have trouble doing some of them too. Like I said in my previous post, I don't like to fly, but sometimes it's a necessary evil. I sometimes need to fly for my work, and sometimes choose to fly because I want to go on vacation. I think it's awesome anyone tackles anything that has the possibility to include an emet's nightmare. It means we are getting closer and closer to getting rid of this f'n phobia!!!! Baby steps, liriodendron.... baby steps.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

I want to comment about if someone is an e-met of not. I am without a doubt an e-met, but I fly often, eat seafood and love riding amusement park rides. I am also a kindergarten teacher!!! I often question why I have this career but quickly realize it is b/c I love my kids and what I do.I am NOT going to let this stupid phobia stop me from missing out on doing things I love. I worry about being sick 24/7 and am sooooooooooooo tired of it, but I am going to enjoy myself when the opportunity presents itself.

Murphy

that's an awesome outlook!! Glad you aren't letting this hold you back
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...

you should take air borne its wonderful

Amen, Murphy! I am a teacher, too, and it is so worth it! I also fly and eat seafood....not a big fan of sushi, though.
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

hey harmonygirl and murphy

a question I've been dying to ask teachers for ages - what do you do
    when a child says "I feel s*" or even worse, "I'm going to be s*"??

I'd probably have a heart attack and then grow wings and start
    flapping about all over the place like a demented chicken!!

How on earth do you remain calm in front of all the other children?
    And if it happens, do you have to clear it up or do you get someone
    else to?? Sorry if thats a bit disgusting - but everyday I take my
    daughter to school, I look thru the window of her classroom and think
    how people cope with this???
    Laugh, quick, before you cry....

Quote Originally Posted by liriodendron

But I can't believe you take airplanes or eat sushi! What's up with that, man. Are you an e-phobe or not?

Hi,

I am assuming that was a facetious question.

If not, I will say that I believe this is a journey - and a matter of
    trying to live as "normal" a life as possible despite our phobia. I am
    seeking medical, psychological and group (this forum!) help for my
    phobia and I want to be able to do all of those things that can
    sometimes be off-limits to emetophobics.

Sometimes I am able to get through them OK, sometimes I am not. Those times are when I come here for support.

Best,

Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by brina85
    you should take air borne its wonderful

.... I am sipping some as I type. There is nothing that says it
    prevents SV, only colds, but nothing that says it DOESN'T, either - so
    I figure it can't hurt...

Best,

Lewis

Pretty Polly,

If a kid says they feel sick, I say...."RUN!" I tell them honestly that if they get sick in my room, I will run, and I have! So, I tell them if they feel sick, they don't even have to ask, just RUN to the bathroom! And, no, I do NOT have to clean it up myself....a janitor does. Yesterday, a kid peed in my room and luckily the janitor got that, too. But, that doesn't freak me out at all.

Hope that helps,

Mary
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

I was joking about you not being an e-phobe. You are brave to eat sushi IMHO.

EDIT: I misinterpreted who's who by the avatars and asked a question that didn't make any sense as a result.

Edited by: liriodendron

Dont let the avatars confuse you. lewisr is not a teacher. murphy is. They just have the same avatars.

Lots of people that have emetophobia live normal lives. We eat out, travel and work jobs that have the potential to put our fear in our face everyday. You have to make the choice to not let this phobia control you. We all go through our "dark periods" where this phobia gets us down.

This phobia is something I think about EVERYDAY, but yet ......... I have three children, Im in school (and will actually be working in the medical field) and I go out shopping, traveling, ect.... all the time, BUT I always have those "emet thoughts" in the back of my mind, everyday, anywhere I go. However, I choose to not let it rule my life.

We must have been posting at the same time, lol!!!!

Edited by: jennyleigh1975

Quote Originally Posted by pretty polly
    hey harmonygirl and murphy

a question I've been dying to ask teachers for ages - what do you do
    when a child says "I feel s*" or even worse, "I'm going to be s*"??

I'd probably have a heart attack and then grow wings and start
    flapping about all over the place like a demented chicken!!

How on earth do you remain calm in front of all the other children?
    And if it happens, do you have to clear it up or do you get someone
    else to?? Sorry if thats a bit disgusting - but everyday I take my
    daughter to school, I look thru the window of her classroom and think
    how people cope with this???

I'm a teacher too. I guess I've gotten better about kids coming upt o me and saying "I feek sick", because that doesn't bother me mucha nymore. i just tell them to go to the office. If they say I'm going to be sick" I also tell them to run and that they don't have to ask to leave in that situation. I know teachers that haven't told kid that and they have had their desk, shoes, clothes etc. vomited on/

How do you remian calm? Professionally, you just have to and you do somehow. They only way someone would know if I was anxious was if they looked at my hands. Knowing you are still in charge makes you do what you have to do.

happyteacher

well happyteacher - all credit to you. I admire anyone who can
    confront their fear to the extent that they are facing it every single
    day!
    I'm too terrified to even help out one afternoon a month at my
    daughters school!
    Laugh, quick, before you cry....

Hey Pretty Polly,

What Harmonygirl and happyteacher said about dealing with sickness and being a teacher is exactly right. My kids are usually pretty good about either getting to the bathroom or clinic. I have become pretty good about recognizing symptoms of sv in kids. The first week of school it hit my school and class pretty bad. I was a WRECK. All I heard day after day is how dozens of kids were out sick. I had them going to the clinic 2 at a time that week. The worst was when I noticed one of my girls looked at me with an almost green face and started to cry. I knew what was coming. I actually grabbed her by the shoulders and forced her into the bathroom just in time. I told her to wait there and I would get the nurse. I was surprised and proud of myself afterwards b/c I didn't freak-out or need to take my Xanax. A teacher in almost all v* situations can hold it together for the child's sake. I absolutely refuse to clean it though. That is for the janitor or nurse. I am DREADING winter coming. I just want to sleep until May.

Murphy

Murphy,

If you don't mind me asking, I'm curoius to know what grade or age
    students you teach. I'm assuming it's elementary school because you
    mentioned having a bathroom right there.

Does your class set aside any time to wash hands before going to lunch?
    I heard some schools have implemented a program to educate kids on
    washing hands and it was effective at cutting down on sick kids.

I wish my kid's teacher's were like Murphy, when I asked them about hand washing before lunch, they told me there isn't time to wash up. The teacher's don't care, or don't want to make extra time for that!!!
    ~Sheri~

Hey Sheri-baby. The hand sanitizers like Purell are supposed to be a
    good alternative to soap and water. Maybe you can figure out a way to
    get your child to apply the gel to their hands. Maybe a little note in
    with their lunch reminding them do do it before eating. Perhaps you can
    find a way to reward them or offer an incentive of some kind if needed.

Of course around here the kids would get expelled for having alcohol or something stupid like that.

Quote Originally Posted by lewisr
    Quote Originally Posted by liriodendron
    Hi,

I am assuming that was a facetious question.

If not, I will say that I believe this is a journey - and a matter of trying to live as "normal" a life as possible despite our phobia. I am seeking medical, psychological and group (this forum!) help for my phobia and I want to be able to do all of those things that can sometimes be off-limits to emetophobics.

Sometimes I am able to get through them OK, sometimes I am not. Those times are when I come here for support.

Best,
    Lewis

lewis! i am an emet and i fly and eat sushi too... even though i worry about it every time i do either
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.