Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

From the 30 yr. old NY Realtor: Get ready people; here it is! [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]If you are nauseaus, take 1 Zantac and 1 Charcoal pill (you can buy both in CVS) Everytime I have taken the 2 of them together (with only water) the feeling went away. HERE'S THE PRESSURE POINT for nauseausness: where your wrist meets your hand, place 2 fingers across the inside of the wrist. 2 finger widths away from the line of your wrist joint is a pressure point for nausea. Push on it w/one finger (you should feel it maybe hurt a little when you find it with your finger) and hold for 1 min. Then do the other wrist, same spot. Then go JUST BEYONDthat point, (only a teensy bit, not even a finger's width) and hold there for another minute. Switch hands again.

BREATHING: Breath very deeply inward. Visualize the yucky feeling as green. Inhale white puffy clouds, which are healing (hey, with the Charcoal/Zantac/pressure point, this stuff works!) as you exhale, breath OUT the green. Your goal is to do this enough times that you have mentally convinced yourself that it is gone.

I hope this works for even 1 person here. I SWEAR by the Zantac/Charcoal. BE CAREFUL not to take too much Zantac or Charcoal though. Charcoal 'absorbs toxins' and whether it's bs or not, if it works, I do it and it has yet to fail.

Holidays DO stink; especially knowing you'll be around people that 'may be carrying something'. My family knows how freaked out I am and look at me funny (NY snobs!! hehehe) but they know enough not to mess with me any more about it. My mom called last night and said she was sick ONCE the night before w/bad pains in her stomach. I immediately asked her "How many times were you sick?!" and she said "Only once though!!" (I think she was trying to make me feel better-haha) and then she said "But I think it was because I had such bad cramps!" OK, so now she was carrying it Saturday and we were all packed intoher house for my sister's bday. She got it Sunday night. Everyone is supposed to go to my other sister's house on Thanksgiving and I'm wondering who may be carrying it where it might be contagious. God help us all.... can you imagine the NON-emets that read our posts? They must secretly be thinking.... "Oooooh my Goooood, are these people serioussss?" Note to all: Take a minute and sit back and try to laugh at this thought: All over right now, there are a million people all over town launching (hehehe) and we are the superiors to be so friggin scared of it that we can fight the chances of getting it and they really cant! They aren't thinking about it enough to keep washing hands, cleaning, being SAFE about it, etc!!! We're the ones that are so neurotic that we do whatever we have to in order to keep it away! Take comfort in knowing that even if people think we are crazy, we know what we're doing! How long has it been since everyone's been sick??

Hope this helps and didn't offend anyone.

Thanks for the info Jill, it's good to know. The breathing technic is mind over matter right? It is supposed to really effective for alot of things. I need to practice this more often.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Is'nt charcoal used to make people v*?
    \"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans\"-John Lennon

Yeah ... I thought charcoal made ppl v* .. :S

Okay, I feel really stupid here. You used the term "launching" here and in another post...what does that mean? Does it mean v*? Excuse my ignorance.

Mary
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

Hi all,

First of all, NO, charcoal doesn't make people v*. They give it to people who ARE v'ing to stop it. You may be thinking of the fact that it is used when people are on specific types of drugs/hospitalized/sick, but it actually absorbs toxins that are dangerous (does that make sense??) TRUST ME; I take it when I feel nauseaus and coupled with Zantac (reduces acid in stomach) it works like a miracle! I've seen people mention other medicines but never tried any of them for nausea. Any one know of any? What's up with this Emergen-C I heard about?

Also, yes, I refer to it as 'launching' because it adds humor to the topic (funny word).

Also, yes... visualization is a form of mind over matter.

Also, you dont need to be sick to take it (activated Charcoal) just nauseaus. FYI. I also gave it to my brother in law (w/1 Zantac) one night when he was nauseaus and he SWORE by it and felt 100% better in half hour. (I know because I kept nagging him to know whether he still felt sick....hehehehe....)

Hey

I live in London, can I buy those meds over here? Also when was/is Thanksgiving??

Thanksgiving in the US is this Thursday!
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

Does London have a CVS? Any grocery store should have it/ look under natural herb section or vitamin section. Called Activated Charcoal and Zantac, which is in the stomach acid section. Good luck!

heya thought id clear up the confusing about charcoal. It is not used to make you v*, as someone said it does remove toxins. If someone overdoses on medicine or swallows something really dangerous, sometimes they are made to v* first but after that they are given charcoal because it binds to the toxin which prevents it being absorbed by the body and damaging the kidneys and liver, if the charcoal made you sick i wouldnt work properly would it :P

My hypnotherapist taught me a similar breathing technique that chemo patients use. Basically, it's inhaling chilly blue air, and feeling the cool blue air go down your throat and esophagus, and cool your stomach. I can freeze the hell out of my nose, throat and esophagus with this technique, but I haven't managed to cool my stomach much yet. Even so, the technique is supposed to be effective for chemo patients, so why couldn't it work with an sv?
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

I tried buying charcoal once but I couldn't find it anywhere. I'm probably going to look for it again now. Thanks for the breathing technique....I'll use it the next time I feel sick!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

This is great someone actually talking about a cure for once. I will defo try the charcoal. I'm up for trying anything that eliminates the hell i go through. I have tried the breathing too but it doesnt work for me cause i am such a synic. So i dont believe in the hippie stuff but my best mates uses it alot for his emet and it works so well for him.

For those in the UK I just had a look on Holland and Barretts website, and they sell activated charcoal capsules for £3.99!!!

Another thing you can all try for nausea is to make yourself cold by opening a window or splashing cool water on your face. Hospitals actually do this for cancer patients whilst they undergo radiation therapy because it makes you feel less n*

The reason this works is because of homeostasis which is the mechanism the body uses to regulate its internal environment. When you get cold your body attempts to conserve energy to use for heat production. Your stomach wouldnt want to get rid of its contents because that would be just throwing away energy right? This is the same reason people can V* if they get too hot, in this case blood flow is diverted away from the gi tract to the skin where heat is lost through radiation, this tends to shut down some of the stomachs activity which causes food to not be digested. I had to do an essay on this in class last week and found it very interesting.

Anyway thats a tiny bit of the theory behind it, let me know if you want to know more, i can look in my human physiology text books and copy it up if you want.

Next thing you know, we will ALL have our feet sticking out of our Freezers trying to freeze our butts off to see if it works. Picyure it... walking into someone's house and seeing their feet sticking out of their freezer... and when you ask them what they're doing, they say 'Im nauseaus...why?'

CHARCOAL RESPONSES: Healthfood stores have it and BY THE WAY, take it with a ZANTAC, remember? Water, 1 charcoal, 1 Zantac, but don't overdo it people! Only when necessary. Dependency on anything can screw you up.

Try just for today saying, 'I am sick of thinking about this. It's freakin' annoying. Today I'm taking a break from it!' Hope it works; it's worked for me. Oh.... and try to help someone else right now that might need you. Takes mind off of fear.

-Jill

Thanks for all the infoand tips, especially Holland & Barrett info. And Hollyjean hope you aced your essay, you certainly sound like you know what you're talking about. You should become a doctor and then you'll definitely be cured from all this fear!

hey hollyjean, the facts are good! my mind processes facts well, it makes me feel more confident if its actually proven to be true. i'll now go stand outside everytime i feel ill - might aswell move into a caravan! charcoal sounds good, i'm taking rennie's for nausia at the mo, they don't always work though (i think it usually psycological if they do.)

jen

<font color=GREEN>
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    happiness is a way of travel -- not a destination
    </font>

lol i do actually want to be a doctor! im doing biomedical science at the moment and i have the option to leave my course next year and start at med school. At the moment my emet would stop me doing that, iv got under a year to get over this :S

You can do it Hollyjean, it's a sure fire way to cure yourself and it'll be so rewarding. Really hope you go for it.

I hope i can, at the moment im looking at going into specific areas in medicine, such as haematology, that will not be too bad emet wise, but i know if i goto med school theres no way of me avoiding it :S

Quote Originally Posted by hollyjean

Another thing you can all try for nausea is to make yourself cold by opening a window or splashing cool water on your face. Hospitals actually do this for cancer patients whilst they undergo radiation therapy because it makes you feel less n*

The reason this works is because of homeostasis which is the mechanism the body uses to regulate its internal environment. When you get cold your body attempts to conserve energy to use for heat production. Your stomach wouldnt want to get rid of its contents because that would be just throwing away energy right? This is the same reason people can V* if they get too hot, in this case blood flow is diverted away from the gi tract to the skin where heat is lost through radiation, this tends to shut down some of the stomachs activity which causes food to not be digested. I had to do an essay on this in class last week and found it very interesting.

Anyway thats a tiny bit of the theory behind it, let me know if you want to know more, i can look in my human physiology text books and copy it up if you want.

Wow, that is interesting that there is actual merit behind this theory because when I am in a nausea induced panic all i can think of is jumping into an icy tub or hanging my head out of the car window in the winter. Often I do submerge my face and my hands in a sink full of cold water when I feel sick...I just thought it was a distraction for my senses but guess there's even more to it...interesting!

Yes the whole process of this is called homeostasis and it controls keeping the internal body environment constant, it controls all sorts of things such as blood volume, ph, blood gluscose levels. i find it fascinating. Theres even a section in my human phys book about the v* center in the brain:P

hmmm i just had a flick through some of my books and it said that when you v* the stomach muscles actually play no part. Its not the stomach that contracts, its actually the diaphragm. Maybe this is why us emets have such good control over it. We learn so many breathing techniques and are so aware of the muscles in our abdomen, maybe we can control these contractions from occuring.

um... ok.. just like to clear up something about the charcoal.. i odnt mean to freak anybody out and somebody PLEASE correct me on this if they absolutely know the reason for sure.. but my mums a nurse and shes told me that they use charcoal in water to make patients v*... as soon as they dirnk it and it hits their stomach they v* straight away... and when im feeling nauseous mum always reminds me 'dont let ur toast burn' cos charcoal and burned food really upsets the stomach... thats wot they do here in aus wit charcoal so i odnt know wot the difference between activated charcoal capsules and charcoal in water is... anyone know?? cos id be too scared to take these charcoal capsules from wot my mum has told me!!!<!--
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    window.open = SymWinOpen;
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
    window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//-->

stef - everything happens for a reason

Quote Originally Posted by hollyjean
    hmmm i just had a flick through some of my books and
    it said that when you v* the stomach muscles actually play no part. Its
    not the stomach that contracts, its actually the diaphragm. Maybe this
    is why us emets have such good control over it. We learn so many
    breathing techniques and are so aware of the muscles in our abdomen,
    maybe we can control these contractions from occuring.

Don't the ab muscles tighten up though?

Anyway if you have an interest in medicine, I think you should go
    through with it. There's all kinds of special fields you can go into
    like allergists and things like that. One time I had strep throat and I
    didn't want to go to a regular ENT doctor so I went to an allergist
    that was nearby and I could tell this guy was pissed because I
    contagious and he didn't want to deal with it or so it seemed. But they
    were able to do the test and get me the antibiotics I needed and from
    then on out I was like, heck yeah, I'm gonna go to an allergist and
    bypass all those contagious people in the waiting room!

yes the abs muscles do tighten too, but its primarily the diaphragm, even so these muscle are usually under voluntary control so maybe we have learnt to control it. Im not sure, just thought id make the point because its worth having a think about :P

I thought v* was instigated by a contraction of the sphincter.I do think
    it can be controlled by breathing and swallowing right.Obviously, v* is a
    choice because if it were out of the person's control we'd get s* more
    often.

I also read that Charcoal is what they give you to induce V*ing in hospitals to pump stomachs after overdoses etc. I had no clue that people took it for and anti-emet.
    TRY to live each day like it were your last