Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Flu Shot

Hi everyone,

Has anyone ever gotten n*/v* from the flu shot? I have mine scheduled for tomorrow and am now a little scared!!

Thanks,

Lewis

I've never had the shot, but friends of mine who have had it did get ill from it, which is why, I won't get it till I am in my 60's and really need it. I think it depends on the person. My mother got hers and didn't have any sort of negative reaction to it.
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"></a&gt ; ; ;

Quote Originally Posted by babygap5
    I've never had the shot, but friends of mine who have
    had it did get ill from it, which is why, I won't get it till I am in
    my 60's and really need it. I think it depends on the
    person. My mother got hers and didn't have any sort of negative
    reaction to it.

Ill like N/V or like icky achey symptoms?

Oh no!!

One friend was just achy, but the other 3 all v* from it. I don't want to scare you, but when I spoke to my doctor about it, he said that unless you are in the high risk group, like the elderly, younger people tend to have more of a negative reaction to it. He told me that if I got the flu, it would be bad, but it wouldn't lay me low for as long as an elderly person. It also really depends on the person and how sensitive you are. The 3 that v* NEVER had the flu before which is why I think they were so sensitive to it. The one that was achy had it the previous year, so I think there was some tolerance there to it.
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"></a&gt ; ; ;

i know plenty of people that have had it and had no reaction
    whatsoever from it! Perhaps a slightly aching arm but no severe
    symptoms like v*. As babygap said, everyone reacts differently, and
    the fact that you are emet, probably means there is no chance on
    this earth that you actually would v* from it!!! Speak to the nurse
    that gives it you first, just to reassure yourself. I'm sure it will be
    absolutely fine. Let us know how you get on....
    Laugh, quick, before you cry....

Quote Originally Posted by pretty polly
    i know plenty of people that have had it and had no reaction

whatsoever from it! Perhaps a slightly aching arm but no severe

symptoms like v*. As babygap said, everyone reacts differently, and

the fact that you are emet, probably means there is no chance on

this earth that you actually would v* from it!!! Speak to the nurse

that gives it you first, just to reassure yourself. I'm sure it will be

absolutely fine. Let us know how you get on....

Thank you both for your responses.

I did have the flu shot (or jab, for our UK friends ) two years ago
    and do not recall any side effects. But that was before my emet got
    really, really bad.

I do not see n/v listed as a side effect anywhere I've looked, but if I
    am that one case out of a million, or whatever, I won't be happy.

Thanks,

Lewis

Hi,

I have had the flu shot every year for the last 7 or 8 years, including this year,and have never had any reaction to it at all. Neither has my daughter or husband. I think it's safe

My 14-year-old daughter and I have gotten flu shot EVERY YEAR for the past 10 years, and have NEVER had any side effects. In fact, last year we couldn't get one because of the shortage, and my daughter caught about 3 or 4 colds and I had one cold, which I never get otherwise. I swear by the shots, and would recommend them to anyone!

I've heard that the people who get sick from the shot either have been exposed to something before getting the shot, making it a coincidence, because it isn't effective until 2 weeks after you get it, OR are allergic to eggs.
    ~*~Charlene~*~

i had one earlier this evening coz i had pneumonia when i was little. you can't get them very easily in the UK at the mo because everyone thinks it'll protect them from bird flu! personally, i wouldn't have had it if i hadn't been offered it, i think its the oldies who need it most.

jen

<font color=GREEN>
    happiness is a way of travel -- not a destination
    </font>

My son is almost 4 and he has gotten the flu shot every year except for last year and I too have had the shot for the last 15 years except last year. He and I both got the flu last year and neither of us has had side effects except a sore arm. We both got our shots in late October and we were fine.
    TRY to live each day like it were your last

I get it too. Never any problems. I didnt start getting it though until I started nursing. I am pregnant too so that is all the more reason. I havent gotten mine yer t though. You'll be fine, its a dead virus...nota live one.

I have it every year, my son too, and never have we had any side effects, except an arm which is sore to the touch. The flu vaccine isn't 'live' so it won't produce any 'flu like' symptoms. There are people out there who think they got ill following the jab (shot), but remember this vaccine is given in the winter when colds/flu/sv etc are going round. Most of these viruses have about a 3 day incubation period, so we might have picked up some lurgy but not yet have the symptoms. Have your flu jab when you're unknowingly harbouring some virus, and when you eventually get ill, you'll blame the jab, when it's completely unrelated.

Does this make sense?

I've gotten the flu shot 3 or 4 times over the years and the worst it did to me was make me all achy but that only lasted like a day. I think you'll be fine if you get the shot. There's hardly ANY CHANCE of V*ing from it.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

i got it 2 weeks ago at work. No problems, no feeling sick, no achiness, nothing. I got the flu last year, and it was so horrible that I made sure I got the shot. You will be fine, the worse part is the build up to the shot itself!!

Hey there-

I used to get the shot, but now figure why bother? It's free in Ontario, but whether I get it or not I always get the flu at least twice during the year, and have at least 3 or 4 colds. I stopped getting it three years ago, and am no worse for the wear (lol, because I usually get battered every year with illness).

When I did get the shot- I would usually spend two days in a spacey-achey fog...but as someone mentioned, it affects everyone differently.

*amber*

I haven't posted in a long time, but I too can chime in on this topic. I got the flu REALLY bad back in 1995 and have sworn ever since then to get my shot. I do get my shot every year (with the exception of last year with the shortage of vaccine in the US) and even got mine about a month ago. The worst I get is a really sore arm for about three days or so. No nausea, no v*, not even a fever or aches or pains....nah da. To me, the flu is much worse than the shot itself and remember the flu SHOT is a dead virus, its the flu NASAL SPRAY that is actually a live virus that most people get sick from. (how do I know this, I was curious this year at the doctor and asked what the difference was [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img])
    msn IM: Abbey_Normal

I have had the flu jab for the past two years. I have already had athe flu which made me get the flu jab the next year as I was really ill with it. The flu jab the first year gave me no side effects but the second year (this year) it gave me a mind version of teh flu. I was achey, very tired and had a cold and sore throat. I have never felt n* or been sick.

I've had several flu shots and never had any reaction at all, and certainly
    don't know anyone who has v*ed from it.

as everyone else has said everybody's different. i always have a slight fever after taking shots so i dread getting them, but that doesn't mean you'll have the same reaction.
    ♥Stephanie

Thanks to sarah140 for my avatar and Fiona for my siggie

\"We can\'t help everyone. But everyone can help someone\"

Ive had the flu shot a few years and never got sick from it. The nurse always recommended I take Tylenol when I got home..to prevent acheyness or mild fever.

I was always fine though.

the people who v* probs do it out of fear of needles. i have a friend who just faints, he has from all the jabs weve had since ive known him.

jen

<font color=GREEN>
    happiness is a way of travel -- not a destination
    </font>

I think the most common reactions area sore arm, aches, and mild fever. This can happen up to 5-7 days after the shot! These symptoms usually happen in the very young... who have never been exposed to the flu.