Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: chicken

Is it just me, or does anyone else freak out when there is raw chicken in the house. I refuse to cook meat, so whenever DH cooks meat, especially chicken, I freak out and lysol EVERYTHING!!!!

Just wondering!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

How funny---I was gonna post a thread on the same subject!!! With meat and chicken, I put my latex gloves on, open the package carefully so nothing splatters on me, put the meat/ckn. directly in the pan/baking dish, then throw the whole package away-VOILA!!

If I need to do fried ckn. or something, I mix the flour/bread crumbs in a plastic bag, then coat the ckn, put in pan -- no dishes!! I don't like to have raw meat/ckn stuff on dishes. Even though I have a dishwasher, the dish still has to be rinsed off in the sink.

After I do all this stuff I spray the whole counter with cleaner. usually lysol or 409. Hubby always says that he'd like to smell the actual meat cooking, rather than the cleaner!! Oh well, gotta do what we gotta do, huh?
    ~*~Charlene~*~

LOL! My husband always get mad when I start spraying the lysol. He says one day I will make myself sick off of the chemicals I use to clean.[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mine says that too! MEN.........[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]
    ~*~Charlene~*~

My hubby gets mad because I spray the whole kitchen down BUT I use Clorox CleanUp which is basically bleach and water. I dont feel comfortable unless I use bleach.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagirl

How
    funny---I was gonna post a thread on the same subject!!! With
    meat and chicken, I put my latex gloves on, open the package carefully
    so nothing splatters on me, put the meat/ckn. directly in the
    pan/baking dish, then throw the whole package away-VOILA!!</font>

If
    I need to do fried ckn. or something, I mix the flour/bread crumbs in a
    plastic bag, then coat the ckn, put in pan -- no dishes!! I don't
    like to have raw meat/ckn stuff on dishes. Even though I have a
    dishwasher, the dish still has to be rinsed off in the sink. </font>

After
    I do all this stuff I spray the whole counter with cleaner. usually
    lysol or 409. Hubby always says that he'd like to smell the
    actual meat cooking, rather than the cleaner!! Oh well, gotta do
    what we gotta do, huh?</font>

Everything you just said....

I do it too. I learned the mixing in a ziplock bag from my dad who
    doesn't fear getting sick. Or at least he says he doesn't. It just
    makes sense. It's silly to make a mess or be careless with juices.

And Yes, I buy raw meat to cook but I'm cautious with it and sometimes
    I wear gloves and sometimes I don't. It just depends on my mood I
    guess.

EDIT:

And I use Clorox cleanup too. It's handy to have the right
    concentration already whipped up for you. I've recently started buying
    the Lysol brand equivalent of bleach and water too. If no raw meat is
    used, I just use Lysol kitchen cleaner. (Not the aerosol cans!!!)

Edited by: liriodendron

I think that everything that was said here in regards to chicken is just being smart and using common sense. It is filty to use the same areas to prepare meat and then prepare produce, that how you cross-contaminate things. I do the same things when I prepare raw meat. If you are worried about the chemicals, there is a company that makes botanical cleaners that are just as effective as bleach and lysol. I use the all-natural stuff...it works really good too and smells good!!

I don't buy raw meat or chicken or anything. If I want something with meat in it then I go to one of the few resturants on my list that I feel safe to eat at. But when I'm at home and my mom makes chicken or something I always freak out and make her clean up with lysol. I know how you feel.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

California girl, I also wear gloves when hadling any meat and I noticed you didnt mention rinsing it off. All meat should be rinsed off and patted dry with a paper towel. When I open a package of chicken or pork, I usually lay a couple paper towels on the counter under the packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by kutekim1217
    California girl, I also wear gloves when hadling any meat and I noticed you didnt mention rinsing it off. All meat should be rinsed off and patted dry with a paper towel. When I open a package of chicken or pork, I usually lay a couple paper towels on the counter under the packaging.

I used to rinse the meat, then I heard this lady on a talk show saying that it was unnecessary and just spreads germs around the sink area. So I got all happy that I didn't have to rinse anymore. Hubby tells me to rinse too. I'm a little confused as to whether I should or not. I guess it makes more sense TO RINSE. Gosh, but after I do I break out with the HAZ-MAT gear---cleanser for the sink, gloves, spray lysol for the surrounding areas, and 84 paper towels. I'd like to hear from people on their views of "rinsing" [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    ~*~Charlene~*~

I have never ever rinsed meat! My mum never has, my boyf never has. No-one has ever come to any harm. If you are cooking the meat anyway i'm not sure why you would rinse?? And, it's true the splashing water just spreads the germs further than necessary. I heard that for food poisoning like that, you have to actually eat a piece of raw chicken to be affected. I'm not saying go finger licking after touching the chicken obviously but i don't think the germs spread as easily as we all think. i still hate cooking meat and eating meat for these very reasons. i'm pretty much veggie - for emet reasons - but can't stop eating meat if i'm at friends for dinner etc. i think they'd all be like WHAT!! i think it's harder to prepare a nice dinner meal for someone with no meat so i wouldn't do that to my friends/family. in restaurants etc though - i avoid it like the plague!!

Califronia Girl - I agree with you about rinsing. I used to do it aswell,
    but i remember reading somewhere, I think a Christmas preparation
    article, that said " there is little point in rinsing the turkey, because
    cold water will not clean the meat, you just end up splashing raw
    turkey juice all over the sink and surrounding areas, and in any case
    you are going to be cooking the meat for hours in the oven, so any
    harmful bacterial will have been nuked anyway!!!"
    So I never rinse meat anymore...one less thing to worry about I
    suppose!!!!
    Laugh, quick, before you cry....

Californiagirl,

HAZMAT gear[img]smileys/smilies_32.gif[/img] I got a kick out of that! (I secretly wish I had that gear)[img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by pretty polly
    Califronia Girl - I agree with you about rinsing. I used to do it aswell,
    but i remember reading somewhere, I think a Christmas preparation
    article, that said " there is little point in rinsing the turkey, because
    cold water will not clean the meat, you just end up splashing raw
    turkey juice all over the sink and surrounding areas, and in any case
    you are going to be cooking the meat for hours in the oven, so any
    harmful bacterial will have been nuked anyway!!!"
    So I never rinse meat anymore...one less thing to worry about I
    suppose!!!!

Great point!! I agree with you--it does make sense.
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Quote Originally Posted by madisonsmom

Californiagirl,

HAZMAT gear[img]smileys/smilies_32.gif[/img] I got a kick out of that! (I secretly wish I had that gear)[img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

LOL!!! My hubby sees me getting ready to make dinner, and rolls his eyes and says, "Oh s**t, it's haz-mat time" Oh well, he sure doesn't complain while he's EATING IT!!!!!!![img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Rinsing off poultry is not to kill germs, it's just to get off excess fats and other crud.

[QUOTE=willow2]poisoning like that, you have to actually eat a piece of raw chicken to be affected. I'm not saying go finger licking after touching the chicken obviously but i don't think the germs spread as easily as we all think. [QUOTE]

I was at a friends house before, and her daughter touched the raw chicken and licked her finger. I tought "Oh oh, I won't be coming here for a couple of days." But she was fine.

I also heard that rinsing meat is not necessary and it spreads bacteria around.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagirl

Californiagirl,

LOL!!! My hubby sees me getting ready to make dinner, and rolls his eyes and says, "Oh s**t, it's haz-mat time" Oh well, he sure doesn't complain while he's EATING IT!!!!!!![img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

LOL.. I'd propose that he make dinner then... (but then again..you hafta think about clean up)...

I'm the same way as you though... (bt I dont wear gloves... just scrub the crap outta my hands)
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...