Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

First I want to say hi, this is my first time here. Reading through
    everyone's stories has let me stop crying. I have been panicking and
    crying all day and obsessed with reading stories of morning sickness.
    This is the first month we are really trying to get preg and I am SO
    TERRIFIED of the next three months (if it works). I really need to hear that
    I have a good chance of not v* during pregnancy. Is there anyone that's
    regreted getting pregnant and having kids because of sickness? I'm so
    scared that I'm making a bad decision... only because of stomach stuff. I
    actually was preg a few months ago and miscarried. I was only pg for a
    few weeks, but was very nauseated... it might have just been from fear
    and not eating though.

I have had chronic nausea and migranes since I was a teenager and have
    developed this terrifying unrealistic fear of v* which is just getting worse
    and worse. This last year, I just started talking about it with my family
    and didn't realize there were so many others like me! I am so releaved.
    So, thanks everyone!

[img]smileys/smilies_16.gif[/img]

Hi Karenanna

Welcome to the sight. Firstly I am very sorry to hear of your miscarriage.I am a mum of 2 children and yes, whilst pregnant both times the nausea was bad, I did not v* apart from when I had 2 V* bugs whilst pregnant with my son, so I think there is a very good chance that you will not v* during pregnancy. I definately do not regret getting pregnant and having children. My children are everything to me and I love them so much. It is very hard when they are ill but all the good times with my children by far outweigh the bad times when they are ill. Try not to let this phobia stop you having children. Be strong.

Have you asked your sisters or mom if they had morning sickness? I have been told that sometimes that can tip you off as to how your body might handle it.

I have never been preggie, but I have been told if you never let your stomach get empty that it can help with the nausea.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks... I'm soooo nervous. Its nice to hear when people dont v* from
    morning sickness. Everyone I talk to tells me these horrible stories. And, I
    never thought of getting sick while pregnant. ugh, I forgot about that.

I just called my mom and she doesn't freakin remember. She thinks it
    probably wasn't bad though if she forgot. I haven't spoken to my grandma
    in ages (shes a nutcase) but maybe I'll call her and ask her... good idea.

thanks again.

Emetophobes don't get sick during pregnancy! The nausea may be out of control, but you can control the vomiting for sure.

Also, it's true that an empty stomach will give you killer nausea while pregnant. YOU GOTTA EAT. Even if it's crackers, milkshakes, or whatever food you fancy on any given day. Just eat it. The more you eat, the better you'll feel.

I have 3 kids all grown up, btw. Never sick during pregnancy. There are loads of moms here who will tell you the same thing.

Good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

if you're an emetophobic...no worries lil mama! I didn't get sick at all but was very nauseous the first few months or so. And it's very true...you HAVE to eat. If I was even the slightest bit hungry I would feel horrible...maybe that explains the 70 pound weight gain but that's another topic in itself! You'll be fine! Good luck!
    When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
    - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Thanks so much for everything. I guess its true, it I've managed to keep
    from v* in the past, why would morning sickness be any different. Its going
    to be torture cause I know I'll end up feeling the worst. Its my luck. I get n*
    from everything. I will be on here a lot I'm sure. I wake up in a panick
    everymorning wondering if I'm going to be sick today. ugh

greatfull,
    K

Like others have said, emetophobes rarely v* from pregnancy! I didn't have any morning sickness or v* throughout pregnancy or from anesthesia from my c-sec. I hate when my daughter v* more than almost anythng in the world, but I never regret having her for a minute. You'll do fine. Some Mommy sense overtakes my emet when she's sick (although as soon as she's better, it all comes back).

Just make sure you eat! That's supposed to really help morning sickness. I was ravenous (and eating) pretty much all day my first trimester.

Good luck!

I hope that happens to me! I would rather gain 50 pounds... I love feeling
    hungry.

I don't have any children but hope to someday. Anyhow, everyone has great advice and I can tell you the emet moms on here are the ones that give me hope that I CAN have kids someday. Also I just wanted to add, my therapist ALWAYS get's on me anytime I have something I'm nervous about coming up (like wisdom teeth out or a new medicine or soemthing) because she says that asking other people you will only get horror stories, people LOVE to share those! She's told me not to do that because everyone is different and reacts different so while someone else may have been sick from something it doesn't mean you or I will. Try and replace all those bad stories w/ the good/hopeful ones you get here.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Hi there, I have two kids and didn't v* through either pregnancy or labour. Yeah, I felt a bit of nausea in the first 13 weeks with my son, and pretty much throughout the pregnancy with my daughter, but provided I lay still and nibbled on pretty much whatever i fancied, then I was fine. It was controlled nausea, never felt I was gonna 'lose it'!! The key is to eat little and often.

With regards them being ill once they've arrived, well like most mums here, I find it scary, especially if they have something contagious.However, the need to protect and care for your child overrides your own fear and you get on with it. And they don't actually v* that often as they get older.

Incidentally, I've only ever caught a sv once off my kids, and that only gave me diarrhea - mums tend to have high immunity to lots of things as we just can't afford to get ill!

Do I regret anything? No way, my kids are everything to me. They drive me crazy at times but I'd rather v* daily than be without them. Go for it!

Hey Karen, I'm in the same boat as you right now. Just wanted to say good luck, and hopefully soon, we can both be here to go through the ups and downs of pregnancy together as emets!!!![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I have another week until I can test and I am so nervous everyday that I will
    wake up sick, but I'm still excited. I love hearing that it is worth it... and that
    v* is avoidable. really, thanks.[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] I will try to stop asking eveyone, it's
    become an obsession. And, Its true everyone wants to tell you their worst
    stories (except fellow emets).

and, kellybean, are you preg? trying? keep me updated!!!

KarenEdited by: karenanna

I'm not preg, but trying. A little scared, but Sage's post made me feel better.

[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Another Mom here to add that I never got sick while pregnant. I'd be inclined to agree that us emetophobes are so good at not V'ing that most of us are going to say we didn't while we were pregnant. It's true that I felt kinda sick the first month but it was off and on and never to the point I thought I was going to V. You'll be fine and trust me when I say that even if you V every day of those nine months that little baby is going to be SO WORTH IT!!! Have fun trying to get preggers (tee-hee)

I have 3 kids and didn't v* once while pregnant...I did feel a little off, but never to the point were I even thought I was going to be sick. I actually really enjoyed being preganant. Certain smells and certain foods made me feel a bit nausea, but as long as I stayed away from that stuff I was fine. And yes it is true, as long as you keep some food in your belly, I think you will feel better. To tell you the truth, I have never enjoyed food as much as I did when I was pregnant.When I had a craving for something, it would taste so good!!!! Good Luck to you and just try to enjoy yourself...it truly is a miracle!!!

I am just starting my second trimester of my first pregnancy and although I do feel n* sometimes, I have not v*d from it. I never really even felt close to it. My advice is 1) do what everyone here as said - kep food in your stomach at all times! That can be hard for an emet, but you will be more n* if you don't 2) let your doctor know about your phobia because they can do things that will help. There are things (natural and medications) you can take if you need to. I never did, but knowing they are there helps comfort me 3) try not to stress about it! What I have felt has probably all been just nerves. I doubt any of what I felt is actually "morning sickness." When I keep my head clear of this phobia, I feel great 4) get a lotof rest. The more tired you are, the worse n* can be and 5) if you haven't already, start taking a prenatal vitamin now. They can be a little rough for your stomach to adjust to because of all the iron. I think it was best that I started it before I got pregnant so my body got used to it and I didn't have to deal with too many new things going on at once.

When I started trying I told myself that I wanted a baby more than anything and I wasn't going to let my phobia stop me. I have to admit though, the day I got a positive pregnancy test, this fear ran through me saying "you can't get out of it now, no matter how bad it is." But it didn't last long and now I am so excited to meet my little one! I really wish July would hurry up and get here!

You will do great! Don't let the phobia stop you from doing something that you want to do, or it wins. And try not tosearch the internet about morning sickness - people love to describe how horrible it is. People that don't have tend not to mention anything about it, so of course it will seem like tha majority of people get it. Out of 4 of us in my office that are/were pregnant, only one had morning sickness to the point of v*, and she has a really weak stomach, and it didn't happen that often. There are more people that don't get it than you know of because they don't talk about it!

I also have 3 kids and never v'ed, either. I did gag once with Logan when I DIDN"T EAT ALL DAY and had that hunger nausea, so eat!!!! I also retched once with my baby boy, but I had a migraine--not trying to scare you, just being honest with you, the key to it all is eating, never let your tummy be empty!!!! At least that is what caused almost all of my pregnancy related nausea--the other thing was caffeine when I was pregnant with my middle one. But all in all, with all 3, my nausea was minimal, I did take a preventative measure with my 3rd and I wore Sea Bands almost all the time!!!

I am 14 weeks 5 days pregnant and do have nausea but have never v*. I gag sometimes but that is it. This is my 4th pregnancy and I have never had BAD morning sickness. I had BAD BAD reflux near the end of my pregnancy with Madison (youngest dd)

I have never regreted having children. (as you can tell, I am pregnant with my 4th![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]) My emet didnt start until 6 yrs ago when my 7 yr old ds had a BAD stomach virus TWICE in the same month. It was a long and drawn out nightmare. Anyway...I get nervous when my kids are sick but I must admit I do ok.

I say go for it. Have kids! They are true miracle and blessing!