Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Emergency Room

Im totally freaking out. Okay so I hate going to the doctors or
    the hospital because of the germs. Well today at work I cut my
    hand really bad and my sister made me go to the ER. I didn't
    want to. I didnt want anyone v* to be there. Well first some old
    man was wheeled out past me and the nurse said that she gave
    him something to stop any v* and then gave him a v* tray! I
    was scared. Well for the next few hours I was scared because a
    sick 5 year old girl came in, she wouldnt eat, had a fever and
    v*. Now she didn't v* infront of me or around me, but she kept
    coughing! I was so freaking freaked. I didnt touch anything but
    the door to exit because there was no other way. I used
    sanitizer and as soon as i got hom washed my clothes and
    myself and didnt touch anything. How likly do you think I could
    get what she has. The air was warm and stale, and so recycled.
    I'm so scared. I don't want to get sick from her. And I have to
    go back on MONDAY! Help
    I love Sam
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ruby- my boyfriend is a nurse, and is in that environment 12 hours a day, 4-5 days a week. He is in a large hospital, and has told me that he has to deal with people vomitting due to various reasons almost everyday. Not to mention sometimes being elbow deep in other bodily fluids (trust me, you don't wanna know) Even with all this exposure to people who are sick and their fluids, the only time he has gotten sick since we have been dating was when he caught something from me!

Unless you have somehow exchanged fluids with this girl, the odds of you catching something from her are pretty slim to nil. If you washed your hands when you got home, you're probably fine.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I agree you will be fine. I know it's scary when you are that close to it but like Amber said you'd have to do alot more than sit in there to catch from anyone. Plus you don't know why the people there were v*ing. Usually if people are sick w/ a sv they go to the GP or not at all. The little girl and the man could have had soemthing that wasn't contagious, or could be due to meds, ulcers, appendix, surgery tons of stuff that you can't catch. I know it's hard but try to relax and keep rational. You never were in a situation that you could have caught it and you thoroughly washed yourself AND your clothes. You're ok.[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Im still scared....how long till Im in the clear?
    I love Sam

If it's any consolation; when we brought anthony to the hospital, I took many of the same precautions... and there were people sick w/ v*. None of us got any kind of sv* from there.. but we did get colds. By the end of our stay at the hospitals; I was so exhausted I didn't even care about my rituals... and just was like f* it all. So we got colds we think from the ER in Lowell or Boston.. but no v* So I think that you will be fine.... give it a few days
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...

I always freak out when I have to go to the ER too, which I have had to go 2 times in the last 5 years (one time for my eye and the other time for my ankle). I was petrified, but I knew I was in the safest possible of places to get sick or to have people sick around me. In fact, while I was there the second time - everyone was worried that I would start V* due to my injury (they thought I broken my ankle)!

While I was there though, I was more worried about why I was going to the ER and not the doc - instead of people V* around me. I was really very self-centered and was just wanting to find out what was wrong with me so I could go home.

Just keep in mind that people who V* in the ER are often doing it for reasons other than the SV. Pain and other illnesses can cause V*, including severe migraines and or injuries.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --

I hate going doctors because there are sick people and they can V every moment. Because of that i go there early (be first) or late (be last). i freaked when hear that someone V-d or is going to V. once i saw one girl V , and i freaked out and run from doctors.

it was terrible...[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

I had someone V* on the floor one time when I was waiting to see the doc. It kinda freaked me out... but this was a long time ago and I just dealt with it. They called in someone to clean it up. It was from a grown man.
    FACEBOOK ME --

I can't deal sometimes, I try to just forget about it, and if I don't think about it prior to being there or while I'm there I'm usually ok, but otherwise it's just not good!

Does anyone else just "space out" when they can't deal with the situation, but know they can't get away? I do that when I can't physically get away from someone who has just V*? I just mentally go to "another place"....
    FACEBOOK ME --

yeah that's kind of what I try to do at least, luckily I haven't been in that situation much, I'm pretty good at planning ways to get away. Hopefully I'll get over this in the next of 4 years or so...well I guess more like three, when I graduate, since I'm kind of trying to be an elementary school music teacher, it will be something I'll have to deal with first hand!

Yes I do Purpleteacher, not purposely but I go into outer space or somewhere, I cant hear what people are saying to me I am just in complete space! I feel I need to concentrate - on what I dont quite know, but I go into complete panic!

I definitely become disassociative in situations like that. For me, vomit is vomit , contagious or not. I would just run!

I used to work in the ER and I wasn't emet at all, thank God!! People would
    come in with a sv... middle of the night... just because they didn't want to
    deal with making a Drs appt. I still didn't like v, and I would high-tail it out
    of a room is someone was v*, I didn't think much about it unless it was
    actually happening... I wasn't afraid of catching anything.

The worst is being in an ambulance and having someone V*...

Reese did you not get sick???
    I love Sam

Nope. Not once. I think that you come into contact with SO MUCH stuff in
    small doses that your immune systems gets SO STONG. Rarely were any of
    my co-workers sick. To this day, I hardly EVER get sick. Even with a cold.