Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

POSSIBLE TRIGGERS AHEAD BUT PLEASE HELP

I just read that a restaurant around the corner from my apartment had an
    outbreak of the Norwalk virus. 57 people have already reported getting
    sick.

This restaurant is literally walking distance.Servers could easily live in
    my apartment complex.At the very least, I could easily see someone v*
    in the next couple of days, which is my #1 trigger.I'm also worried that I
    should not go anywhere but my office (I work with just one other person)
    and my boyfriend's apartment until it passes through.

Please help...

Don't isolate yourself from the world. Use the 2 precautions, wash your hands very good and use hand sanitizer. If you have to use your sleeve to open and shut doors, do it. You will worry yourself into a frenzy.
    I know the Norwalk virus isscary and believe me I am scaredof it to, but I won't let it stop me from going out. Don't let this rule you, you have the control.

I think I am too scared. See it's not me v*ing that scares me, it's seeing
    other people do it. It gets burned into my mind when I see it and I can't
    sleep and I freak out.I am already freaking out thinking if I go to lunch I
    could run into someone downtown who has been exposed and then it will
    be oceans of v*ers everywhere oh God why does Norwalk exist WHY???

eekelsey,

I'm just like, I am terrified of other people's vomit! Here is some advice from my therapist that has served me well: If you see anyone sick (which I'm sure you won't), think to yourself over and over, "I'm not in any danger, I'm safe, this isn't hurting me". Secondly, when you find yourself in a tail spin of "what if...", tell yourself "STOP!", even if you have to say it out loud. Distract yourself with anything you can, watch t.v., read, call someone on the phone. Do anything to stop these thoughts right away.

happyteacher

Kelsey,

Don't worry about it. Your chances of catching are slim if you didn't eat the infected food and weren't in the room when the vomiting occurred. You can't catch Norwalk just from living in the same building with people. You will be fine.

Doug

I thought that the Norwalk virus was usually diarrhea only. My son had something about a year ago where he had diarrhea for about 10 days straight, ALL the time. I had never done so much diaper changing!I was afraid to take him out in public! I took him to a pediatrician on about the 3rd day and he said there was a Norwalk virus outbreak here, diarrhea for 1-2 weeks witha couplekids getting severe dehydration and v*, they had to be hospitalized. He put my son on the BRAT diet. Even though I changed him all the time and held him, played with him, nursed him, I never got it. Does that sound like Norwalk?
    Proud to be a FIREFIGHTER\'S GIRLFRIEND!!

I always thought that one of the tell-tale symptoms of Norwalk was frequent, sudden, violent v*??
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Falon I cant think of the name of the virus that causes d in kids for that long but its not norwalk and usually only kids get it. Kim

Just don't eat at the resturant. Chances are, the virus is contained to the resturant and staff there. It more than likely was brought in and then someone there didn't take care of themselves, which caused it to spread. Just avoid eating there and people you know of who have eaten there.

Thank goodness that some people do care enough about others NOT to come to work with a SV!
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

if you're really that worried about it, eat at home, go to the grocery store, get food there, don't eat out for a while, at leas tuntil this all passes. Bring your own food into work from home, don't stress too much, I mean not going by a restaurant especially close to your home is kind of isolating yourself, but if it keeps you sane I would do it too. I mean I know I'm not the best here and haven't been through much therapy to help with everything, but I mean it doesn't sound like you really have control over this phobia yet, and I think unnecessary exposure to things you're afraid of before you're ready can make it worse, at least that's what my therapist has told me. She said that she's going to try and work to help me to where I can deal but right now I can't so I should keep myself away from the situations if at all possible, don't let it control your life, but if you need to avoid somewhere for a short time period to help get over it do, it won't be the end of the world, just let yourself know that!

Quote Originally Posted by kutekim1217
    Falon I cant think of the name of the virus that causes d in kids for that long but its not norwalk and usually only kids get it. Kim

I think you're thinking of ROTOVIRUS.
    ~*~Charlene~*~

[QUOTE=californiagirl]

Quote Originally Posted by kutekim1217
    Falon I
    cant think of the name of the virus that causes d in kids for that long
    but its not norwalk and usually only kids get it. Kim</font>

&lt;FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color=#990000
    size=2&gt;I think you're thinking of ROTOVIRUS.</font>
    [/
    QUOTE]

That's it....btw, they just approved a vaccine for rotovirus!

Hey Peachy...Did the rotovirus vaccine get approved? Didyo get it for your kids? When my son was born they asked if I wanted to be in a study for the vaccine and I said no since I was afriad it owuld make him sick and he was a week old. I was scared to do it and this last year i asked if the vaccine was out yet and they said not yet. I will take him now if it is available.
    TRY to live each day like it were your last

Thanks for your support guys. They just announced over 400 people got
    sick, the largest outbreak from a restaurant ever.Apparently at least one
    sick worker was forced to work.I hope that business never recovers.

I don't think it was rotovirus that my son had...my mom's a nurse and she's told me before that roto causes "grass-green poop" in kids, and there's almost always v* with roto. My son had neither. The dr. said he had a "Norwalk-like virus" so maybe it was something else.

There's a vaccine for roto??? Great!!!
    Proud to be a FIREFIGHTER\'S GIRLFRIEND!!

Oh god I can't STAND it when people come into work sick, cause then this is the kind of thing that happens. It scares me to think that I could all of a sudden get the Norwalk virus. I mean what if I'm in a room where someone V*s and they have it and then I get it? I know how you feel, but going out and doing stuff will make you feel better. If you just sit in your apartment all day you'll just worry more and more, getting out is the best thing you can do. I have more of a problem with me V*ing myself then seeing others, but I freakin don't want to see other people do it either. Just remember, if you DO see someone V*Ing it doesn't mean that you're going to and it doesn't hurt you in anyway. Do what everyone said, wash your hands and keep them away from your face.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

About the vaccine for roto -- I think it's only given at the 2 month, 4
    month, and 6 month well visits. It's made to be effective for two years,
    and by the time a child is two years the risk of severe dehydration goes
    down from when they are infants. They are more concerned about the
    d* than the v* end of the illness. They also said that after a child is
    two, if they've never had roto that they will still probably get it, but not
    as severe, and that their bodies need to build natural antibodies to it.
    Bummer, both of my kids are too old to get it.