Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'll admit it: I get frustrated when people come in with influenza. ...Especially if the professor is easy-going and flexible.

My lab partner came in with the flu one afternoon. She went home and
    recovered. I went home, had a fever of 106, permanently lost 15% of my
    lung function, and some time later ended up in the hospital for two
    weeks. I have asthma and CF-- to lose that much lung capacity in a
    single hit is disappointing. (Sounds small, though it made the
    difference between being able to climb a flight of stairs and ....well,
    having to fall up the stairs. XD )

Just my personal experience. Lots of grey areas, but those who do
    decide to come to class or work should at least make an honest effort
    to contain all those fluffy viral particles.

Hi

I just thought id like to give some support to amber, i completely understand where you are coming from and think you sound like a very dedicated student.

I am a postgraduate student, i already have my BSc (hons) but am now studying for a professional qualification. I can miss no more than 10 days of college in the academic year. If i miss a day i have to catch up on what i have missed plus produce an essay so the lecturers know i understand it. This course is costing me £4000 in addition to the £12000 in debt i already am from my first degree.

If i feel under the weather i will be going in to uni. The only exception i have is v* and d* and then i wouldnt go in because I would need to be near a toilet NOT because of spreading it to someone else. As soon as symptoms stopped i would return.With influenza type viruses if I can physically make it to the train, I will be there at 9 for my day to start. I am not going to rely on somebody else's notes which may be half complete. Plus, i do not want to risk going over 10 days illness as this could prevent me getting a job.

My educationin the last 4 yearshas put me £16000 into debt which i will have to pay back. when i am ill and deciding whether to go to uni, it depends on whether i feel as though i can go in, i dont give a second thought to whoever i may give it to. If that makes me selfish then so be it, i doubt anyone is going to help me pay back the £16000.

Well... sometimes I skip school when I'm sick, sometimes I don't (and sometimes I skip school when I'm not sick...).I pretty much judge it by, if I can drive, I go. If I feel too sick to drive, I won't. And, if I feel likegoing would exhaust me too much and make me feel worse,I skip (I'm in community college, btw, it's a dual enrollment thing in which I can take classes there instead of at my hs... and I've been accepted to a 4yr college with a scolarship so I do put some effort into my schooling). I believe that it is inconsiderate to come to school sick... (but at the same time, I am very against the whole schooling institution, so if I cared more I may feel differently). I think the problem is that our culture isn't very accepting of people's health... majority of our culture is focused on productivity rather than health/happiness and the problem is with that thought process. It seems like the societies of the people on this board have their priorities mixed up. That's just my opinion. lol sorry if it was a bit off topic, I just am interested in culture and schooling and priorities overall. Panzicatink, I hope you're doing fine and sorry your topic turned into such a debate.

People DIE from influenza. If education is more important than that.. well...
    **is at a loss for words** Its not a common thing, but you just never know
    who is around you and what conditions they might have.

I've gotten ill from others to the point that I couldn't go to class... and I was
    paying $30K a year for school, so I def understand the COST of school, and
    therefore the cost of missing it. For myself, I don't think that risking making
    other people waste their money/ sick time/ paycheck/ whatever, is a very
    nice thing to do. Obviously, there are TONS of people who don't see it that
    way... and I think that is what's really wrong with our uber productive
    societies. Makes me sad. But not as sad as a boss who comes to work sick,
    makes everyone else sick, then gets mad when people don't come in to
    work.

<<<However, the funny thing with me personally is that there are a couple of posters on the board whose posts, in my opinion, do have a condescending tone. I don't ever say anything about it because it may just be my opinion and something that I am reading into the posts because I have a personal issue with it. So I read condescenion into entirely different posts/posters than seems to be the general opinon here (since amber has certainly been singled out). >>>

Thank you Japa. Some people just aren't going to like each other. Fact of life. If I 'rub you the wrong way' then fine, ignore me, or don't respond to my posts. Or feel free to attack WHAT I am saying- but to strap a target on my back (or anyoneelse's for that matter)is unfair. How ironic that people who talk about the value and need for 'support' are so quick to judge, especially when others may find them guilty of the exact same behaviour.

If you don't like what I have to say- fine, call me on it. I can happily explain where I am coming from, or debate an issue with you. If you don't like the way I say it- it's a matter of personal opinion, preference and a myriad of other things that make you prefer certaincommunication styles or personality traits over others. Please don't use that as the basis to single me out and insultME publicly- not what I am saying but my character.PM me if you really feel theneed to do so.

<<<Just my personal experience. Lots of grey areas, but those who do decide to come to class or work should at least make an honest effort to contain all those fluffy viral particles.>>>

<<<I agree w/ Crim, you have to do what you have to do to survive, and as long as she's not blowing her nose on people if she's sick, give her a break.>>>

One Who Squeaks- wow , that situation completely sucks. I guess that is why I always tell the people that I am working around that I am sick- I know that if I had a lab partner who had CF I would take even more precautions than normal, or work separately for the day if possible.

Babygap- thanks. I do make an effort to keep my illness self-contained, and like you I am decently functional when ill. As it is now, if I have a cold, or anything that involves coughing or a runny nose, I set up a little station in my working area- pack of kleenex, plastic bag (to put the used kleenex in- my pet peeve is when people put used kleenex on the table- GROSS), and hand sanitizer. I must look a little funny, because everytime I blow my nose or cough into my hand I then purell them, because the thought of having germy hands and then touching the rest of my stuff, my face, etc. creeps me out. I am generally not an obsessive handwasher, but when I'm sick I turn a bit paranoid and my mind leads me to believe I can feel the little germies on my hands. Ugh. I don't know if people were under the impression that I coughed in people's faces or wiped my nose on their sleeves or something, but that is definitely not the case.

And you are right- this topic does come up fairly often, and inevitably there is a difference of opinions...I remember responding similarly to a thread a few months ago, but I certainly didnt get this reaction!

Nikki- I'm glad that someone sees where I am coming from. I completely understand when you worry about the ramifications of not doing well- especially in relation to not getting a job. I'm doing my masters right now and am applying to PhD programs- I want to be a professor and teach criminology at the University level, and to be able to do so I need a PhD (if I don't want to be a sessional and be paid only a few 100$ more than the TA). Most schools only accept a handful of PhD students a year, and it can be very competitive, as you have to have the comittment of a professor who is willing to work with you (and they also limit the number of students they work with). Grades that are not up to par, or reference letters peppered with "attendance issues

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ah that makes me so angry. a while ago i went to work and one of the guys there had actually puked four times that day, in work and WOULDNT GO HOME. and when i said he should they said i was being childish. i think that is so selfish.