Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I was on my way to school to pick up my oldest son when I met one of the other mums who casually mentioned in conversation that she and her kids had an SV*at thestart of the week and her hubby's got one now!! That was enough to make me a nervous wreck, but she also said she was on her way to school to pick up a little boy that she's babysitting! That poor kid will be in the samehouse as someone with an SV*! And he's got brothers & sisters, so it'll be round the school in no time!

So not only is there an SV* going round, but there's a good chance my kids will get it! I am so scared - HELP!!!!!!!!!

You can't automatically assume that this kid will get sick, and give it to his siblings, then it will go around the school, and then your kids will get sick. That is a pretty big chain of events- and there is a decent chance that part one of the chain may not even happen, or that if it does the subsequent parts won't happen.

If right now the father is the only one who is actively sick- what are the odds of him being in contact with the kid she babysits? I doubt he will be sharing toys- or even a bathroom, as I know in many households (especially when you babysit), the grownups have a bathroom (usually by or off the master bedroom) and the kids have a bathroom. I would be a lot more concerned if it was another child who was sick, as the odds are that there would be a lot more contact.

I know it's hard- but you can't start thinking worst case scenario everytime you hear something like this, because the likeliest response is you making YOURSELF sick with worry! EVen when people live in the same household- one person coming down with something does not mean that everyone's going to get it. THere have been many times where only my brother or I was sick, and no one else caught it. Or while in University, one of our roomates getting sick and the rest of us being fine.

Just think- you kids are not in that household, and are thusfar fine. What would worrying about something that *might* happen and that you have absolutely no control of (that child's babysitting arrangements, etc.) possibly achieve?

I know it's hard when the panic sets in....but try to sit back and evaluate the situation. Don't doom yourself to something that may not happen!

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I really hate people who have no respect for there own children and other peoples children as well!
    You want your kids to be healthy and keep them out of harm and they end up babysitting so that poor kid has to be near them,goodness *Sighs, Im sorry hun x

Well just plenty of rest nice healthy food and fingers crossed hun and avoid her and that family as much as possible.

*hugs* Sorry again xx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm really sorry that you are feeling so scared. It is notnice when all these svs are going round and knowing our children, who we love so much, have been close to other ill children. I really hope your family stays well.

Actually, you and your child are safe. There is no imminent danger. I know that it feels like there is, but that feeling is coming from a case of projecting out into the future a whole bunch of unknowns and treating them as certainties (that is, that the boy will get sick, the boy will come to school sick, other kids will get the illness, and your child will get it -- as crim said, that is a big long chain of events, and just because you are picturing it, that doesn't mean it will happen that way).

This mother and her kids and the one being babysat are in another house, not yours. You're fine. Your child's fine. And it'll be that way next week as well because too many things would have to come together for the scenario you're picturing to occur.

wonderful post japa!
    it even made ME(a random browser)feel better.

Thank you, thank you , thank you everybody for your support, advice and good old-fashioned common sense! I know I'm probably over-reacting, but I think it's because exactly this time last year, there was an SV* going round, and both my sons caught it. The oldest had D* & V* for five days, and it was the first bug my youngest had caught, which made it more scary. To top it all, my partner was working away. Bad memories!!

Thank you all again for yourreplies. You guys are the best!

Quote Originally Posted by crimgoddess

You can't automatically assume that this kid will get sick, and give it to his siblings,* then it will go around the school, and then your kids will get sick. That is a pretty big chain of events- and there is a decent chance that part one of the chain may not even happen, or that if it does the subsequent parts won't happen.

If right now the father is the only one who is actively sick- what are the odds of him being in contact with the kid she babysits?* I doubt he will be sharing toys- or even a bathroom, as I know in many households (especially when you babysit), the grownups have a bathroom (usually by or off the master bedroom) and the kids have a bathroom. I would be a lot more concerned if it was another child who was sick, as the odds are that there would be a lot more contact.

I know it's hard- but you can't start thinking worst case scenario everytime you hear something like this, because the likeliest response is you making YOURSELF sick with worry! EVen when people live in the same household- one person coming down with something does not mean that everyone's going to get it. THere have been many times where only my brother or I was sick, and no one else caught it. Or while in University, one of our roomates getting sick and the rest of us being fine.

Just think- you kids are not in that household, and are thusfar fine. What would worrying about something that *might* happen and that you have absolutely no control of (that child's babysitting arrangements, etc.) possibly achieve?

I know it's hard when the panic sets in....but try to sit back and evaluate the situation. Don't doom yourself to something that may not happen!

*amber*
    Always the voice of reason Amber [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    I agree with what you said. For instance, there's a sv going around at my kids daycare. Normally, I would *really* worry about it until they either get sick or the active period of the outbreak is over (2 weeks). As a parent, I'm concerned that they *might* get it but I promised myself not to play the "What if...?" game.

It helps.