Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I was driving home from work and got stopped at a red light. The person in the car in front of me swung open their door (fast) and before I even knew what was going on, my heart was racing and I was shaking like crazy! I just knew he was going to v* [img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]

He actually ended up spitting (pretty gross in iteself). Why do we naturally assume the worst? I was shakingfor the remainder of my drive home all because some crass guy decided to spit out of his car! The whole process took all of 4 seconds and I will be bothered by it for the rest of the day.

If it wasn't so sad - it would be funny...

Just thought I would share my phobic reaction of the day...

[img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]I always do that too.....i always think they are going to v.....it's crazy...there are other things in this world for people to do besides V right???????? Well, if only we could think that way, we wouldn't go freakin out everytime it happened[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

if i werent a "lady"...
    i would be tempted to do the same thing lately.
    i have about 800 pounds of mucus in my throat!
    i am constantly hacking it out. gross!

I freak sometimes too when someone opens their door. Now I just tend to keep my eyes on the road and try not to pay attention to what's going on around me. Sounds like it could have been my hubby in front of you. He chews. So, when we're driving, he opens the door a lot to spit. It's gross, but I guess he has to do it.[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]
    xoxo Mel xoxo

If you love something,
    set if free,
    If it comes back to you,
    it is yours.
    If it does not,
    it was
    never meant to be.

I always look to see what is going on if there is a car stopped, with the doors openon the side of the road. I have no idea why, because if I see them v*ing, which is what I expect, then I get all shaky for the rest of the day. So weird!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

haha i do the SAME thing! i won't even let my car drive over a spot in the road that looks like it could have been v*. it's crazy, i know, but i get so freaked out i don't want it ANYWHERE near me!

I can so relate to this. Everytime I see someone do this at a red light or something, I think the worst. BUT what do I do? I still look-just to see if they v* or not. Its like I just have to know. I know that sounds crazy.

It's weird. For those of us afraid of seeing other people v-,many of ussure have a habit ofstraining our necks to look at it, don't we? I know that's how I am. I avoid situations. But if I see something that looks like someone might v-, I watch closely. I watch their every step, etc... If they put their head down or go rushing to the b-room, I am very aware of it. You'd think that id I hated seeing people v- so much, I'd close my eyes. And I do...only after I've seen it happen though.

Sometimes I feel like I'm just looking for reasons to panic. I know in the spitting situation, I would have assumed the exact same thing at first. I saw on a website that's one of the wonders of emet. We're afraid of others doing it, but if we see it, we strain our necks to look. if there's a car pulled over on the side of a road, we look to see if someone is outside v-ing, even though we know if there is we will freak out about it.

I have to drive on the turnpike to go to work everyday. Everytime I see a car pulled over I automatically assume it's because someone is sick... And like a friggin train wreck, I have to look at it! Why??? So I can watch someone V*? Ew! 9 times out of 10 it' someone on a cell phone or someone getting something out of the trunk. PS: Since when do we have to open the door to spit??? Was the guys window broken? Haha... Don't feel ridiculous!
    instant messenger-aggiecrafts

Everything happens for a reason

Yeah, what Kristi said! Its funny how we're oddly drawn to v*, yet at the same time want to be as far away as possible from it!

I would have been exactly the same as you, marby - try not to worry about it. I'm sure even non-emets might assume the same thing if a guy suddenly opened his door and leaned out, the way this bloke did.
    \"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars..\"

I feel like this all the time. This girl v-ed on the bus and i just stared, I coudnt look away. it was horriable, and that is what brought on the panic attacks I have today. Now i hate going on the bus and i always check on her to see if she is ok and talk to her too so I know that she wont do it again. but alas, my friend told me she is the person who throws up the mostout of all the people she knows.life sucks [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

Angel, I was wondering the same thing. The past two weekends, I've seen twopeople v* because of too much alcohol. Even though I knew what they were doing, I still had to look. I was far away from them, so I think that's why I was looking. If they were right near me, I would have been out of there so fast. I'mterrified and fascinated with it at the same time.

Emetophobia is SO weird that way. I always look - but then can't get the image out of my mind forever! My family went to Disney World last July and I saw some poor little kid v* after getting off a ride - I can see it all just like it was yesterday and it was 9 months ago!

It's almost like being afraid of scary movies - but watching them anyway...

I think the same thing...wonder why we are sooooooooooo scared but soooooooooo facinated at the same time...it makes no sense to me at all. I find myself watching Discovery Health all the time and you all know what gross things are on there...it's like i am obsessed or something...i don't know...but it's weird. [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]
    Kate

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

lol dont worry. i react in excatly the same way!! in fact, just yesterday i was walking down the hall at school and i saw someone bent over in the hallway. i FREAKED OUT because i thought they were v*......they werent. They were tieing their shoe [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]lol

feel better !

-hayley xoxo

Quote Originally Posted by hayleyw

lol dont worry. i react in excatly the same way!! in fact, just yesterday i was walking down the hall at school and i saw someone bent over in the hallway. i FREAKED OUT because i thought they were v*......they werent. They were tieing their shoe [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]lol

feel better !

-hayley xoxo

That made me laugh! I do that all the time too! I see people yawn sometimes and get scared and start to panic!