Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: My CBT journey

Hybrid View

Default Re: My CBT journey

I used to work out quite a bit, but since my emet/anxiety is back, I can't do it longer than maybe 20 minutes. my stomach bothers me when I do any form of cardio, or I think it does. Maybe I should just go for it again

Default Re: My CBT journey

Quote Originally Posted by Lieke View Post

I used to work out quite a bit, but since my emet/anxiety is back, I can't do it longer than maybe 20 minutes. my stomach bothers me when I do any form of cardio, or I think it does. Maybe I should just go for it again
    My therapist actually talked to me about that. He asked me how many times have I ever seen anyone throw up in the gym? None. And he said that he's been active within a sport for 30 years and he's never seen one person be sick either. One got pale and had to lay down but that was it. He said it is a normal body thing that the stomach feels a little upset before you get into the grove of things and it's nothing to be afraid of. I was really afraid of cardio. So I've been working myself up on the crosstrainer: 8 min...10 min... 15 min... 18 min... 20 min... 25 min... 30 min. Now I feel like I can go forever!

I do a lot of weight lifting which is something I loooove to do. My muscles are starting to look so awesome and I'm losing a bit of the weight I've gained when I was rigid with fear =P

I think it's so important to get exercise when dealing with anxiety as it releases endorphines but also because you get to know your body and get a positive view of it when you take a step up in your training. It boosts my confidence a lot. And when I'm doing it I get a very one minded focus and it's like time off from the anxiety. I still have to battle it inbetween reps sometimes but that it getting LOADS easier because now I just remind myself that 'hey, it's just anxiety. Nothing is going to happen. Now back to the burn!' Plus I get out with people and get a little bit of social interaction which helps me from falling into depressions and feeling isolated and lonely and like a freak.