Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default Re: What would you give up to lose your ability to vomit?

I believe she means everything happens for a reason. Vomiting is not a bad thing. Like our friend said, it smells bad, tastes bad, feels bad, but afterwards, we feel much better because what was making us sick is out of our body. I could get all the examples dairyfreelife gave us and explain you why they happen, but my English isn't good enough when it comes to reactions and body parts (and complicated names, and everything else :P )

Oh, I remember something now that may help you to realize that humans didn't learn how to vomit. I learned it in Biology a few weeks ago: Exocytosis: When a cell directs the contents of secretory vesicles out of the cell membrane.
    Take a look at the picture and tell me what it remembers you: http://kenpitts.net/bio/images/exocytosis.gif

I know it's not much of a point, but see, even our cells get rid of what they don't need somehow.

However, I think that if you want us to understand you, I'd love to see the link from where you've learned that vomit is something we learn.
    Tick tock, time is passing and so is your life. Enjoy it while you can.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ana Bellini View Post
    I believe she means everything happens for a reason. Vomiting is not a bad thing. Like our friend said, it smells bad, tastes bad, feels bad, but afterwards, we feel much better because what was making us sick is out of our body. I could get all the examples dairyfreelife gave us and explain you why they happen, but my English isn't good enough when it comes to reactions and body parts (and complicated names, and everything else :P )

Oh, I remember something now that may help you to realize that humans didn't learn how to vomit. I learned it in Biology a few weeks ago: Exocytosis: When a cell directs the contents of secretory vesicles out of the cell membrane.
    Take a look at the picture and tell me what it remembers you: http://kenpitts.net/bio/images/exocytosis.gif

I know it's not much of a point, but see, even our cells get rid of what they don't need somehow.

However, I think that if you want us to understand you, I'd love to see the link from where you've learned that vomit is something we learn.
    Yes, there's reason for things. Do I really need to sneeze? No, but there's a reason I sneeze. Something has irritated the nasal and now it is trying to expel it how it knows how...sneezing. Same thing with vomit, though sneezing is not as nerve-wracking as vomit for the majority. It can hurt to sneeze and it doesn't feel that great and some people find mucous quite disgusting, but it happens. Do I need to feel all this awful pain when my cycles come around and even at other random times? No, but there's a reason the pain exists. It was an indication of a larger problem and said pain was so bad I would feel like I might become sick, which was when I realized I couldn't take the pain any longer and needed help. That lead to doctor appointments where it was discovered that I most likely have a condition called endometriosis. The pain is most likely from scarred tissue in places it is not supposed to be, which has led to the severe pain I was always feeling (and still feel). Surgery is the best hope and because I discovered this young, I have a better chance to get help before serious infertility problems occur. Though the pain was horrendous and still can be awful at times, it was a sign from my body that something was amiss. Vomit is similar and can often be an indication of wider problem.
    I don't believe it is all mind over matter as someone else stated. The idea that you can control vomiting and therefore if you get sick, you were somehow weak. Part of my fear of vomit is the lack of control as well, so I get the desire to believe it is always controllable. However, instead of trying so hard to stop yourself from vomiting using mind over matter, why not use mind over matter to help get rid of the phobia instead of feeding this irrational fear?
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce"~Helena, A Midsummer Night's Dream

Quote Originally Posted by Ana Bellini View Post
    Exocytosis: When a cell directs the contents of secretory vesicles out of the cell membrane.
    Emptying vesicles is fun!
    To learn more about emetophobia, see