Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: What aspect of vomiting scares you the most?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • The smell

18 29.03%
  • Seeing it

36 58.06%
  • Hearing it

41 66.13%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What Scares You The Most About Vomit?

Well, for me, I am most scared of the sound of people vomiting. Sometimes my brain even thinks that somebody is vomiting and thinks it hears the noises of people gagging and vomiting when in truth they really are not! Today, for instance, I thought that my Dad was vomiting but all he did was take a big gulp of hot coffee and kind of spit it out in the coffee lid. But I didn't stick around long enough to find out. I rushed to my dark room, and curled up in a ball with my hands pressed so tight around my ears I got cramps in my arms. I was curled up in a ball with crampy arms and sweat all over me for an hour. So, my question is: what aspect of vomit are you most afraid of? The smell? Seeing it? Hearing it? I wouldn't really add taste or touch, because, well, yeah...
    Last edited by Sheesh4; 03-22-2011 at 05:49 PM.

Default Re: What Scares You The Most About Vomit?

My biggest fear is actually doing it myself. Ugh...
    "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
    "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." - Alice in Wonderland

None of those things in the poll. What scares me most about vomiting is how it feels to do it, the gagging and retching and heaving. Ugh.

For me, all three choices are equal but the true thing about v* that I am afraid of is the thought that I could catch it. All the other factors come in second place to me catching an sv.

I am scared of vomiting myself and others vomiting. I am more scared of others vomiting, though. Not because I think I will catch it, but just the sight of them heaving and coughing up vomit is disgusting!
    Last edited by Sheesh4; 03-22-2011 at 05:51 PM.

I'm scared of losing control or throwing up in public.

I hate the sound of it... cause you can at least close your eyes if its you or someone else! But it's harder to block the sound out. Whenever i feel like im about to throw up i'll turn on the water faucet just so it isnt quiet in the room
    Words to live by: "To worry is to suffer twice", "Trust experience over your thoughts", and the Golden Rule "What would I do if I wasn't afraid/ anxious".

Smile, it'll look better in the morning
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hearing it for me definitely. I don't mind when I do it, but when somebody else does.... it just sounds so painful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

Jada2010, i used to do that with the faucet too! Not when I had sv but when I has an actual and horrible stomach condition/disease thingy but the running water distracted me from the n* and horrible pains.

The smell!
    My Mantra:
    If you continue to do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.
    -Originally an IES member since October, 2009-

Quote Originally Posted by Sheesh4 View Post
    Well, for me, I am most scared of the sound of people vomiting. Sometimes my brain even thinks that somebody is vomiting and thinks it hears the noises of people gagging and vomiting when in truth they really are not!
    This happens to me all the time!

I don't think this poll has enough choices. There is no choice for the taste or the awful feeling. I have no idea how anyone who reads this forum can think there are at most three choices. Unless the question is "which of these three things..."
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Everything!

Well I put seeing it. But if I just see it on the ground it isn't too bad, its when I see it happen that is awful. But I hate everything about it. EVERYTHING.

everything! the sight of it on the ground or someone doing it in real life and on tv, the smell, the possibility of me doing it, someone throwing up on me, getting an sv, getting food poisoning, it's all terrifying.

Hearing first, seeing second.....at least you can close your eyes-when it' others

If it's myself the feeling is the worst...bc you can close your eyes and not look....
    And when I'm usually in a state of panic the sound is the last thing registering in my mind

myself throwing up. i can't stand it. i don't mind so much if someone else throws up and they're not near me or something. i can shut my eyes and ears and run away from it. but i can't do that when it's me. i have no control. and that terrifies me.

If I were present when someone else vomited, the sound bothers me the most. But if I were to vomit, none of those things would be as bad as just the feeling of the worst thing possiblel actually happening.

I hate everything about it. I'm scared of choking.

The sensation you feel when it's happening... the heaving and the gagging. Ugh. Everything really.

I'm afraid of the sound! My mom knows about my phobia, so she's gotten very good at hiding it from me when she gets sick (which is very rare, but still). Sometimes she'll mention she feels sick, then she'll walk to her bathroom and I go into panic mode. I run out of the room and sit in my closet, trying to avoid ANY noises associated with 'it', and I think of every time I was close enough to get a virus from her the past few days. She has only been sick once in that sort of situation though.. I panic WAY too much!

A few months ago, though, my sister got a virus and was sick all night. Our rooms are connected with one bathroom in the middle. That night is on my top 3 list of worst nights ever. I sat in my closet all through the night.

It's everything about it... Must say though, the sound of it sends me into panik mode... my sister always has to ask me if she can cough... because I have a panik attack at just the thought she might be ill!
    a bit sick in the head, but at least she is kind enough to ask, just to keep my mind at ease...

for me it's completely different and weird- i don't want people seeing me helpless...vomiting is one of those body functions you can't control, and i hate when i'm not in control with certain things... so people seeing me as weak is the thing for me.

All of it all three of those things! I once made my sis laugh so hard she spit out her drink and she had to repeatedly assure me that she did not vomit!

When In doubt, God prays to Hoffman

all of the above? but i have to say, the look of it i gross nd the sound, but i know if i didnt have a phobi of it then that wouldnt bother me. but phobia or no phobia, the smell is rank! the worste thing i've ever smelled in my life! but i would have to agree, the senstaion and feel of it is the biggest reason im scared of it
    No passion so effectively robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.

Of others... I'm most scared of hearing it... then smelling it... then seeing it. The sight of vomit doesn't bother me unless I feel very nauseous already... and even then... I normally just turn my head if it's on tv. I'm not that scared of others vomiting, really. Just scared that when they do, I'll catch whatever has made them sick (assuming it's from something unknown).

For myself... I'm TERRIFIED of the feeling and sensation. The extreme nausea. Feeling like I'm burning up, sweating. The shakes. Then the gagging and retching. And the taste. Ew. I've never tasted something so disgusting. The taste is actually what I was afraid of when I was younger. Not the sensations. Or the act. I was just scared to taste "it" because I knew it was disgusting. The taste just makes me gag and retch more. :-/ I'm also very scared of catching another norovirus because the one and only time I DID have one, I vomited from 6 p.m. until 2:30 a.m. I never, ever want that to happen again.
    Jennifer

"Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets. So, love the people who treat you right, forgive the ones who don't and believe that everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it! Nobody said it'd be easy, they just promised IT WOULD BE WORTH IT!"

My Emet Vlog:

All of the above! But wait I hate most si hearing it. Once in sixth grade, a kid in my class was sick in a trash can, and I squeezed my hands over my ears the whole time. I probably looked ridiculous, but I didn't care, as far as I feel, if I can't hear it it isn't there. But I wasn't the only one holding my ears, another girl across from me was also holding her ears, we made eye contact and smiled. This moment made it all better, I didn't feel so alone about it.

All of the above make me very uncomfortable but I only truly fear doing it myself. It scares the hell out of me, I go completely out of my mind and I have been known to say things in the throes of the worst happening like "I'd rather just be dead than go through this." Which I know is ridiculous.

Strannik
    "The hulking beast that is Fear incarnate will show itself when you expect it least, and every fibre of your being will demand that you turn heel and take flight. But there is another way, and if you wish a free existence it is the only way; draw your sword, raise your shield, scream your own challenge and charge! For only the blade of courage can fell Fear himself."

Definately being around somone who has vomited, both my mum and sister have vomited in the last 2 days, and i am petrified that i will catch it and have to experience it all, as i have forgot what vomiting is like.

The retching. Just hideous.