Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: Are you a Man or a Woman?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Man

5 13.16%
  • Woman

33 86.84%

Hybrid View

Default Re: Ladies and Gentlemen

I am 21, male, and consider myself somewhat of an ex-emit. (Kind of ex.) I used to fear vomit so much I wouldn’t leave the house. I home schooled my high school years and for around 2 years would refuse to go out and do anything. I feared seeing it on TV, in real life, and even in cartoons. I feared getting it to, but not as much as seeing it. My parents forced me to start going out and I fell into a depression. I guess the sudden leap into the outside world triggered it, but mental health issues run in my family. I am adopted and my biological parents both had disorders that got them hospitalized in a mental institute. I never met them by the way. Frankly I am not that interested in my biological parents though so don’t think that bothers me. (I do wish them the best.) Anyway since I was a little boy I would run, even cry, when someone got sick. I once jumped out of a car because my bro was getting car sick… (The car was in the process of parking so don’t think it was all epic and hardcore.) I was constantly asking my parents if I would catch the throw up flu as I called it. Over time once I got depressed I started fearing less and less about vomit. (I think because I was caring less and less about myself.) I stopped eating and started getting suicidal. My parents took me to get medical help and over time I have become stable. (Even though I still haven’t learned to drive, gotten a job, gotten a girlfriend, done anything very big.) I would say I have been mostly ex-emit for around 2 or 3 years. I still fear getting sick somewhat, but seeing it does not bother me much. I have had other problems, my depression and bi-polar is not related to the phobia. I take meds and stuff and have a supporting family. I don’t really have many close friends outside my family because I haven’t met anyone. I can somewhat entertain myself though; I like to make art, program and fix computers and write. Although this probably sounds like a sad story, I am a happy person now days.

Default Re: Ladies and Gentlemen

One more guy here! More or less ex-emet. Still have the memories of the phobia but not the anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by teh folder View Post
    I am 21, male, and consider myself somewhat of an ex-emit. (Kind of ex.) I used to ........... Although this probably sounds like a sad story, I am a happy person now days.
    Whoa you and I seem to have alot in common. I'm also adopted and never knew my biological parents.

I never was SO BAD that I wouldn't go out, but I did end up leaving the public schools and attending a small private one that was more family-oriented.

As I posted on another thread, a few of the things that helped me get over this were a good attitude, learning a good bit about how my body works, and getting a very adventurous and challenging job that kept me BUSY.

Be good!
    David