Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default Re: Live-in boyfriend has stomach flu!

Thanks everyone. I survived the night. I woke up this morning frightened with butterflies in my stomach and thought I was going to throw up, and I was actually somewhat OK with it. I've come a long way!

I was wondering specifically about disinfecting the shower/tub and the mattress. We have a fairly expensive foam topper and it's very porous. It can't be washed. Should I just stuff it in a bag for 2 weeks? The mattress underneath is plastic covered and can be wiped down. Also my blanket is a big down one. Should I wash both the duvet and the blanket? I'm concerned about the showertub since while he was covered in the stuff he took a bath and I'm worried that if I take a bath or shower, I'll fling small particles of the stuff into the air/steam. I'm asking him to do the first cleaning of the bathroom since it's REALLY bad in there and then I'll go do it a second time. How long do I have to sleep on the couch/wait to wash the bedding?

Also, how long until I can kiss him and such? I was under the impression, definitely correct me if I'm wrong, that the virus can only be caught if I get vomit or fecal matter in my mouth. And I can't catch it through my nose or eyes, only if I eat it. So as long as nothing touches my mouth (which I've been VERY good about) I can't catch it right?

Default Re: Live-in boyfriend has stomach flu!

Quote Originally Posted by person54321 View Post
    Also, how long until I can kiss him and such?
    I usually wait a day before kissing anyone who has had it. Really though, as long as they've brushed their teeth and are no longer vomiting they're okay.

I was under the impression, definitely correct me if I'm wrong, that the virus can only be caught if I get vomit or fecal matter in my mouth. And I can't catch it through my nose or eyes, only if I eat it. So as long as nothing touches my mouth (which I've been VERY good about) I can't catch it right?
    That's correct.

As far as the tub, I usually use something like Soft Soap cleanser with bleach to clean it out (I also wash the shower curtain, although that's likely overkill). I scrub the tub and then let the cleanser sit for a few minutes before rinsing it off.
    Elizabeth