Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default help please - someone v*d beside me

Hey all,

I have been emetophobic for as long as I can remember and take great lengths to avoid getting sick in my daily life. I live in New York City and it is so dirty here so that is difficult!

Tonight on my way home a girl two seats down from me on the Subway v*d all over the floor, twice. I was probably about 2 feet from the v*. I got up after a stunned few seconds and moved to the next car, but a little got on my shoe and I'm nervous I might have breathed in some of the v*.

I don't know if she had a virus, or what, but I am feeling so anxious that I'll catch it if she has a virus. I took my shoes off and put them in a plastic bag without touching them, so I'm not worried about that. What I am worried about is if I breathed in some particles.

Has this happened to anyone else? Did you get sick? Please help!! I need advice!!

Default Re: help please - someone v*d beside me

Is anyone online? Just some reassurance or some advice would be really helpful. I am feeling so anxious!

That is really gross! Was she a little girl or older? Did you try to hold your breath or anything?

She was probably in her 20's, my age. (I'm 23)

It was so gross. I didn't even register what had happened until it had been a few seconds, so I didn't think to hold my breath or get right up or anything. I got up definitely within 5-10 seconds of her v*...but I don't know how long it takes or how close I would need to be to catch it from her.

I don't think you will get sick. The stomach flu is not airborne. It's only airborne is the droplets of vomit got in your nose which I doubt happened. As for it getting on your shoe make sure you clean your shoe. If for some reason you are afraid to clean your shoes then wear gloves. I think you will be fine
    I write electronic music! Check out my music here:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All my music is free! Enjoy! PM me and let me know what you think of my music.

There is hope:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBHartnett View Post
    I don't think you will get sick. The stomach flu is not airborne. It's only airborne is the droplets of vomit got in your nose which I doubt happened. As for it getting on your shoe make sure you clean your shoe. If for some reason you are afraid to clean your shoes then wear gloves. I think you will be fine
    Thank you so much! I hope so. I'm just going to leave my shoes in the bag and not touch them at all until I see if I get sick. If I don't I'll probably clean them with bleach and wear gloves.

I know that it isn't technically airborne, but I've read some stuff that says you can catch it if some particles get in your nose, and that can happen if you are close to the person v*ing. I was definitely close!

Maybe she was drunk , I mean if she knew wouldn't she have tried to get off or at least do it into a bag or in the corner? What did she act like afterwards? I hope she was drunk but you still have your immune system if it was a virus. Take some extra vitamins, some probiotics and get lots of rest. You will be ok!

Quote Originally Posted by bebzorg View Post
    Maybe she was drunk , I mean if she knew wouldn't she have tried to get off or at least do it into a bag or in the corner? What did she act like afterwards? I hope she was drunk but you still have your immune system if it was a virus. Take some extra vitamins, some probiotics and get lots of rest. You will be ok!
    Yeah, I thought it was weird that an adult would v* in public if there was any kind of warning like a stomachache...she v*d right after the train pulled away from a station so if it were me and I felt n* I would have gotten off the train at that station. Oh well, I don't know her reasons, I just know that I feel anxious about it. Maybe she got food poisoning from her dinner or was drunk. But it seemed kind of early in the evening for that...

I saw a girl once in the early evening riding her bike in a very wobbly manner, she proceeded to fall very slowly into the street so that her body was on the sidewalk and her shoulders and head were on the street with oncoming traffic whizzing by ! It took her a very long time to get back up and stumble away, my point being it doesn't matter what time of day it is for people to be drunk...

Quote Originally Posted by bebzorg View Post
    I saw a girl once in the early evening riding her bike in a very wobbly manner, she proceeded to fall very slowly into the street so that her body was on the sidewalk and her shoulders and head were on the street with oncoming traffic whizzing by ! It took her a very long time to get back up and stumble away, my point being it doesn't matter what time of day it is for people to be drunk...
    Hahaha! Thank you, that is helpful. Let's hope that's all it was!

I am really psyching myself out - just read some articles that say people can be infected within a 4 meter radius of a v*ing person. I was definitely within just a couple of feet. I am so so worried...

Let's just assume she was drunk.....

You're fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Trudy View Post
    You're fine.
    Thank you for the reassurance!

Sounds like maybe she was drunk...how humiliating for the girl though for that to happen in a place with so many people.

And how awful you must have felt I would have freaked, especially with it getting on your shoe ah! I think if it wasn't NYC streets, I would have walked home in my socks haha.

Good job for not totally freaking out and just "casually" moving to another car.

You should be okay. I know its easy to say to try and not think about it, but thinking about it constantly will make you think you are sick. Just as long as you didn't touch it you should be fine. I too think she may have been drunk. It's New York....there are MANY reasons why somebody would've gotten sick.

Was she alone or with somebody?

Quote Originally Posted by Erica1649 View Post
    Sounds like maybe she was drunk...how humiliating for the girl though for that to happen in a place with so many people.

And how awful you must have felt I would have freaked, especially with it getting on your shoe ah! I think if it wasn't NYC streets, I would have walked home in my socks haha.

Good job for not totally freaking out and just "casually" moving to another car.

You should be okay. I know its easy to say to try and not think about it, but thinking about it constantly will make you think you are sick. Just as long as you didn't touch it you should be fine. I too think she may have been drunk. It's New York....there are MANY reasons why somebody would've gotten sick.

Was she alone or with somebody?
    I know - a part of me did feel bad for her because that is literally my greatest fear - getting s* in the middle of New York City and having to get myself home!

I was soooo freaked out that it was on my shoe. But it was not much and I knew as long as I didn't touch it I'd be okay. I slipped out of my shoes and left them in the hallway then bagged them up later!

The only reason I was able to seem casual was because it was such a surprise. There weren't any warning signs so I wasn't able to get panicked! Then I knew as soon as it happened the best thing for me was just to get out of there. She had a friend with her, who I was directly beside, and the friend was immediately attentive. What a good friend!

I still feel fine so far...my boyfriend has been helping try to keep me calm during the waiting period for incubation...I have an appetite so that is positive!

Thanks for your reply!

Hey random, I live in ny as well. I used to live in queens. What part of the city you from?

Quote Originally Posted by michellenukes View Post
    Hey random, I live in ny as well. I used to live in queens. What part of the city you from?
    Last year I lived in the East Village, and now I'm in Bushwick in Brooklyn. I am getting my Masters at NYU!

Well if she had a sv yes you could of been exposed. Hae to say it but id give it 72hrs before you say all clear.

It could easily have been morning sickness, what with her age, and it coming on so quickly. Trust me, I'm pregnant and feel n* all the time, if I didn't do everyday things because I felt n* I would never get out of bed!

Try to think that's what it was, it is more than likely.

I lived in college point in queens right next to flushing. Now
    I live on the island with my parents

Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer2012 View Post
    Well if she had a sv yes you could of been exposed. Hae to say it but id give it 72hrs before you say all clear.
    I have always heard 48 hours...do I really need to wait for 72 to see if I am going to get it??

Quote Originally Posted by michellenukes View Post
    I lived in college point in queens right next to flushing. Now
    I live on the island with my parents
    It is such a dirty place! It has really made my phobia worse. But I still love it for many reasons.

the other day a girl v*d a few feet away from me in the bathroom and i didn't get it, if that makes you feel any better.

Quote Originally Posted by katherines6 View Post
    the other day a girl v*d a few feet away from me in the bathroom and i didn't get it, if that makes you feel any better.
    Were there stall walls separating you? It does help, thank you!!

yeah there were stalls but it was still pretty scary lol
    i hope you're okay! don't worry theres a good chance you won't get sick!

I would definitely think drunk or morning sickness. Hang in there...I'm crossing my fingers for you!

Quote Originally Posted by jessica.leigh View Post
    I have always heard 48 hours...do I really need to wait for 72 to see if I am going to get it??
    I have a Microbiology textbook that says 48 hours. I have heard both.
    I write electronic music! Check out my music here:

All my music is free! Enjoy! PM me and let me know what you think of my music.

There is hope:

Thanks to you all! So far so good. I feel fine and have an appetite, but it's only been a little over 24 hours. We'll see what happens...

That`s really disgusting! adults should`nt v in public, as they are much better at controlling it than children. I hope that person felt totally ashamed of herself afterwards.