Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I once had a man tell me he liked this song, that it reminded him of me, I could never really figure out how or why. This is the lyrics to Pearl Jam's Better Man. Ok, so, someone interpret this song for me!![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Waitin', watchin' the clock, it's four o'clock, it's got to stop
    Tell him, take no more, she practices her speech
    As he opens the door, she rolls over...
    Pretends to sleep as he looks her over
    She lies and says she's in love with him, can't find a better man...
    She dreams in color, she dreams in red, can't find a better man...
    Can't find a better man (2x)
    Ohh...

Talkin' to herself, there's no one else who needs to know...
    She tells herself, oh...
    Memories back when she was bold and strong
    And waiting for the world to come along...
    Swears she knew it, now she swears he's gone
    She lies and says she's in love with him, can't find a better man...
    She lies and says she still loves him, can't find a better man...
    Can't find a better man (2x)
    Yeah...

She loved him, yeah...she don't want to leave this way
    She feeds him, yeah...that's why she'll be back again
    Can't find a better man (3x)
    Can't find a better...man...
    Ohh...ohh...
    Uh huh... (5x)
    Ohh...

It seems like there's a girl who dreams of the perfect man, one who makes her feel alive and brave. He's there whenever she wants hin to be, in her dreams, kind of like a secret, forbidden love. interesting--I need to get me one of those!!! hehe
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Uhhh...maybe I see this totally differently. But I see this woman who's in love with an abusive jerk. He's out all night (it's four o'clock, it's got to stop) and she's afraid of the abuse he might bring her if she's awake and he comes home drunk and in a rage.

The "dreams in color, she dreams in red" as the blood from the beatings. She recollects the time before she met him, when she had self-worth and strength. ("Memories back when she was bold and strong
    And waiting for the world to come along..." ).

She had high hopes of this relationship, which turned out to be a nightmare. She thought he was the "perfect guy" until he showed his true colors ("Swears she knew it, now she swears he's gone
    She lies and says she's in love with him, can't find a better man... ")

This particular line makes me think of the woman who goes back to the abuser time and again: "She loved him, yeah...she don't want to leave this way
    She feeds him, yeah...that's why she'll be back again."

She thinks she can't find better--that "she's not worth it"--so she deceives herself into thinking this jerk's enough.

Sounds dark and depressing...just my interpretation. Ever read the lyrics of "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam? They're kind of a dark band, it seems. Like their music though.
    Edited by: HDogg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think I remember reading somewhere that Eddie Vedder wrote this song about his mother who was in an emotionally abusive relationship, so Heather, I'd say that's a spot on interpretation.

The line which says, "She lies and says she's in love with him..." I think rather than laying in bed this means she is telling untruths to herself, fooling herself into thinking she loves him or at leasthas to love him asshe cando no better than this man.

Can you relate to this JennyLeigh? If not remember the man that said this song reminded him of you may have misinterpretted it.
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

I think the man that said this song reminded him of me was not interpreting it the way you guys are. I havent been in an abusive relationship, with him or anyone else. How I thought he was interpreting it was that if he had been a better man, maybe we would still be together today. Maybe he never really paid enough attention to the lyrics.