Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

hey guys im from australia but im heading over to canada and america for a holiday in 6 weeks or so and was wondering if any of you can suggest what places are good and what things i should go and see? i'll be in the new york and LA areas and toronto/montreal/niagra areas if anyone is from around there.
    Angles

hey there-

I live in Ottawa, Canada, and spend a lot of time in both Montreal and Toronto.

For Montreal, shopping is a must. I think your best bet is to go to Saint. Catharine St, and wander through the stores there. Montreal is the style capital ofCanada, so if you like clothes itreally is the place to be.

Here is a website that outlines Montreal attractions, broken down by categories on the left of the page: http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/B2C/07/attraction_list.asp

As for Toronto- this is by far my favourite city in the world, handsdown. Some things you should not miss:
    <UL>
    <LI>StLawrence Market</LI>
    <LI>CN Tower</LI>
    <LI>Hockey Hall of Fame</LI>
    <LI>Toronto Zoo</LI>
    <LI>Centre Island (weather permitting)</LI>
    <LI>Royal Ontario Museum (ROM)</LI>
    <LI>The Beaches</LI>
    <LI>The Eaton Centre (for obligatory downtown shopping)</LI>[/list]

I have been to each of these places about 6 times, as everytime a friend wants to come toTOronto with me (I have alot of family there so Igo down to visit often), they always want to seethese places, lol. Public transportation in Toronto is also amazing- a big system of subways,street cars,buses, and go-trains. You can basically get to where you want to go on public transport very efficiently.

Here is a website that may be of use:

http://www.toronto.ca/attractions/attraction_highlights.htm

Hope you have an amazing trip!

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And don't miss Niagara Falls - for sure. But don't get sucked into shopping there - lol. Also, go on a winery tour in the Niagara region if you can.

Hey Amber - you can ignore my pm now - lol. But let me know if you'll be in Montreal by any chance Sept 12-15...
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

You said LA...I would try and make it too Las Vegas, It's not that far, and it is an amazing site.

Sage- I may actually be able to make it down to Montreal during that period- just need to find out my work schedule when it is posted on Wednesday.

Will keep you updated- will drop you a PM after I find out.

*amber*

thanks guys i'll add all these things to my list!
    Angles

I loved New York City when I went several years ago. I highly recommend seeing a Broadway musical. They are outstanding! I saw Les Miserables. Very moving. NYC is just a fun city. Haven't been there since 9/11 though. Not sure if it's changed...

Definitely do some shopping there too. Wonderful shops in Manhattan! Have fun!

i dont think i will be doing much more than window shopping unfortunately.. damn the american dollar being so crap!
    Angles

Well if you DO want to do some shopping, make sure that you visit the biggest Macys in the world in NYC. I used to live there, and some things that you might want to see would be central park, rockafeller center, times square, the general broadway area. If you're into things like film, you can visit and take tours of the TV studios.

&lt;3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Just walking into the shops and drooling is half the fun! I didn't buy anything expensive there either. Just an umbrella from a street vendor when it started pouring rain, and my ticket to the show. If you're a "kid at heart," check out F.A.O. Schwartz toy store. Expensive as hell, but lots offun! I think they filmed scenes of movies in there.

I really enjoyed Central Park and the art museum. There's so many neat places to see. And some are free! Just walking down Fifth Avenue or Times Square is neat. It's like a whole other world there!

I want to go to Australia sometime in my life, too. It will take saving a lot of money to get there first. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of Steve Irwin. Was he an icon in Australia? I liked watching his show. He was fun and truly nutty! God bless him for getting so close to those dangerous animals. I couldn't do it!

I went to Canada for the first time a few weeks ago. We were actually in Montrael! It is gorgeous! We payed like $5 to park in a garage for 4 hours!! (Unheard of in my neck of the woods; especially when we go to Boston).

It's really nice; I hope you have fun!

Oh, before I went there; I heard stories that the locals wouldn't speak to travelers in English, but that's a bunch of crap. Everyone was really nice, and we didn't have a problem
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...

I'm from Toronto and I agree with crimgoddess' suggestions. Also for great restaurants, look into going to the area around King St. W. and John St. (you will be able to find that on a map). You also might like to take a tour of the Air Canada Centre where the Toronto Maple Leafs ice hockey team plays (the pride of Toronto!) and the Roger's Center (formerly the Sky Dome) where our baseball team, the Toronto Blue Jays play. If you love art, The Art Gallery of Ontario and the Bata Shoe Museum.

Let me know if you want any more detailed information.

happyteacher

Wow!! Sounds like you are going to be taking quite a tour! I don't have any suggestions for you, but have a blast!!
    We have got to be able to laugh at ourselves about this!!

Oh and if you haven't seen it before then you may want to visit Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty in NY. lol, just some more input [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

&lt;3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

wow thanks so much guys im going to have to write all of this down! and about steve irwin.. i dont know if you'd call him an icon as such but he was very dearly loved by a lot of people. i didnt realise the news would affect the whole world. it so so sad.. i feel like i knew him personally and my heart really goes out to his family.

and tayda - haha you wouldnt like australia then! in the city parking can cost anywhere from $7 up to $30 for a night and thats in australian dollars so multiply by almost double!
    Angles

couple more questions guys.. im only 20 so i would be underage in america (the legal adult age in australia is 18) so is there anywhere that id be able to get into in the way of nighclubs or places to drink? also im really keen to go clothes shopping.. whereabouts would you reccommend that reasonably priced in canada and america?
    Angles

For Shopping:

Montreal: Simon's on St. Catharine St. It's a large department store, so it has the lower end to the higher end, and very cool fashionable stuff. It's a large mix, so no matter what style you like you will find something.

Toronto: The Eaton Centre has a wide variety of typical mall chain stores, so it's worth checking out. If you want a bit more of an eclectic selection, I would suggest the Beaches, and Bloor West Village. There you will find more unique items, and cool gifts if you are looking for some.

As for the drinking age- In Quebec it is 18, and Ontario 19, so you're fine. In Montreal, for the larger bars be prepared to pay a cover, and be subject to a dresscode. Cheers is usually pretty popular- we usually bring our students there for pub crawls.

In Toronto:

http://www.clubcrawlers.com/listings.php

This website has what is going on in what club on what day, along with addresses. it all depends on what music you like, whether you want to just sit and have a drink or dance, etc.

Have fun!

*amber*