Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

My 4 year old daughter woke up yesterday complaining of an upset tummy. As the day went on, she got sicker and sicker. She started v*ing around 2pm and didn't stop until sometime very early this morning. We couldn't even get her to keep sips of water down. I was so scared for her. She woke up ok, said that she felt better and then came down with a fever for a couple hours but hasn't v* since. She hasbeen able to eat and drink andkeep everythingdown just fine today. Her only symptom was v*ing, d* one time and a fever for a couple hours today. Other than that, nothing else was bothering her.

OK, so here is my thing. I am scared to death that I will catch this. I did fine helping her, although I think I was shaking much worse than she was. I stayed calm and kept telling her that she was going to be ok and that I was here for her but inside I was and am stillFREAKING out. I can't even eat anything. I'm scared that if I eat something and come down with this bug that I will v*.

I'm hoping so much that this isn't a bug and maybe she just ate something bad? I have a 2 year old that I am just waiting to start v*ing. I already have all the towels and extra blankets just in case. MAN I HATE THIS!!! I can't even sleep because it's worrying me so bad that I may be next to get it.

Can anyone suggest a way not to v* if I do get this? Is there anything that can prevent it? And if it's a bug how long does it usually take to show up in someone that has caught it? Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Hi there, welcome to the site! Every mother on this site knows exactly how you're feeling right now...in fact I went through it 3 weeks ago, Curly Wurly last week, Dreamer a couple of days ago! Look back at some of the old posts and you'll see how often this kind of thing crops up, how it makes us feel, and how we all worry about ourselves and our family catching it:

http://www.emetophobia.org/forum/for...sp?TID=11960&a mp;PN=1
    http://www.emetophobia.org/forum/for...sp?TID=11872&a mp;PN=1
    http://www.emetophobia.org/forum/for...sp?TID=11712&a mp;PN=2

The good news is that most emet mums do NOT catch a sv from their kids! Just keeps your hands clean and disinfect where you can! As for your 2 year old...I guess there's more risk here, but it's not inevitable.

Have a look here and it'll tell you what you need to know about the dreaded sv:

http://www.emetophobia.org/forum/for...sp?TID=8722&am p;PN=1

It sounds like you handled this brilliantly...went into "mum-mode" as we say. You should be proud of yourself, it's one of the hardest things emet mothers have to deal with.

Keep us informed how things go and remember we're here for support pretty much 24/7.

I am so sorry to hear that. I have been there many, many, many times. And onlyonce out of the times too numerous to count did one kid pass it to the other, and only twice have I caught one from them and then I only had d*, I didn't v*. If you practiced good handwashing and surface/clothing washing and sanitizing, then you should be ok!! Let us know!!

My kids have passed it on to each other some, but not the majority. Also, I've gotten the sv only twice from my kids, and never v* from either, just d*. I was n*, but took phenergan and was able to sleep. I would eat though, even if just lightly, some soup or something. You'll be fine, and I bet your two year old will be too! Good job taking care of your daughter, its such a nightmare when its going on but you should be so proud of yourself for being there for her! Janna

I'm sure you'll be fine as long as you scrub everything.

Oh my gosh I feel for you. My daughter is only 20 months old so I know I have many future episodes to deal with. I'm just waiting for one of these bugs to infect her daycare again. Last year, it hung out for four months making the rounds. It was horrifying! (I got the sv twice in the space of a month and a half but the second time was much more mild--lasting no more than four hours)--I believe that this is when my emet started. I remember being just shocked that this could even happen to a person! Who gets sick back to back like that? However, I've always been vulnerable to tummy bugs, ever since I was a child. But, you just put one foot in front of the other and get through it. Sounds like you're doing just that. If you're not sick within 48 hours--you're probably in the clear! Hooray!

On another note--instead of water next time, maybe try pedialyte popsicles for your little one? Just a teensy bit at a time--like one or two licks every ten minutes (as long as there is no v*). Sometimes, something cold and sweet is easier to keep down than just plain water. If she hates pedialyte, maybe try cold diluted juice (not orange)or juice pops you make yourself.Glad to hear she's on the mend. Good luck!

well done for being so calm !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks everyone! If I can just get through today then I think my husband, other child and myself are in the clear.[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img] I feel a little ill this morning, but I know that I haven't really eaten anything in a few days so I'm hoping that's all it is. I can't wait for this to all be over. Just about 10 minutes ago, my youngest daughter woke up and I thought I hear her saying "Owwie owwie" on the monitor. I shot out of bed and ran into her room so fast that I made myself dizzy. I got in there and she was really saying, "Funny....Funny...." And jumping up and down in her crib.[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img] My heart is still pounding[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

I wonder if I'll ever be "normal"? This fear has affected me since I was 8 years old and am now 29. When I was in highschool, I got down to 90 pounds because I was so afraid that I wouldv* that I didn't eat anything more than saltine crackers, 1 banana and some water for over 2 years. I've gotten past that point of not being able to eat for the most part now. Except when I know there is a sv* going around. Then it seems to rear it's UGLY head[img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img]Anyway, I'm rambling. Thanks for listening...

i can understand how you feel totally i have 2 children and dread it everytime i hear someone is ill

you've done so well keep it up !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.