Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: My job

Ugh. I'm having a miserable time at work. I feel so stupid sometimes and I get really hard on myself. I'm only a receptionist, so how hard can it be, right? But for some reason, I keep screwing up and my boss gets on my back at least once a day about it. But he doesn't yell--he just gets a little condescending. It drives me nuts. Why doesn't he just freaking fire me already? I'm so tired of being stupid. It's ruining my self-esteem.

But the crummy thing is, I can't just up and quit, because it's a tiny company and they're closing in four months. So, if I quit, he'd have to hire another receptionist, and who's going to want to work for a company that's closing soon?

Plus, I wanted the experience, because someday I want to manage my husband's landscaping company. But if I can't even figure out the smallest details, how am I going to be a good manager?

I'm so depressed right now! [img]smileys/smilies_16.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Awww Heather!!!

**HUGS**

You are NOT stupid, no matter how that boss makes you feel!!!! Don't think that!! I understand what you mean, I feel like I'm alwaysscrewing up on something when others are watching over me. But you are doing the best you can, right, and that's all you can really offer!!

**HUGS**

Keep your held held high, and hopefully tomorrow will be a better day!!

Heather, I know you, and I knowthat if you really want to do something, you do it, and I'm sure you will be a GREAT manager for you husband's company!!
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!
    The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear Itself- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I cant really write much now..because Im at my job...but aI can say that I know what your saying and I really feel your pain.

I will write more tonight when I get home from work!!

Just keep that brave chin up.....4 more months..you can do it!!!

And now I\'m glad I didn\'t know
    The way it all would end the way it all would go
    Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
    But I\'d of had to miss the dance
    Garth Brooks

You know what? Some people would just say screw it, this place is closing in 4 months, I'm outa here. But you aren't. You're NOT stupid!! Don't let your boss try and make you feel that way. Hope you're feeling better!

Quote Originally Posted by 2jo2
    You know what? Some people would just say screw it, this place is closing in 4 months, I'm outa here. But you aren't. You're NOT stupid!! Don't let your boss try and make you feel that way. Hope you're feeling better!

Exactly!! Heather, you are doing the best you can!!!
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!
    The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear Itself- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Hes probly havin a hard time himself with the place shuttin n stuff. Dont let him give ya a hard time if its not deserved, dont jus accept that youre wrong, or even if ya do make a mistake, that hes justified in treatin u that way. Everyone makes mistakes sometimes.

Ok..now that Im not at work I can tell ya my story!!!

I work for a husband and wife who own a local ISP ..its just them and me..their Office Manager....

I love the work..but have a tendency to make a few mistakes..not record a payment..or something else like that..and its really really hard ebcause my female boss is a perfectionist in the worst way..who also seems to thrive and get a kick out of others mistakes!

I also cant spell very well..im not bad...but shes an ex0english major and librarian..she notices EVERY single little stupid mistake I can possibly make..it it seems she points out every one! Even when I write her a little note telling her to call someone..if I spell somthing wrong..she HAS to tellme about it! I mean..if it were a doccument the public were going tos ee id compeltely understand..but she points out mistakes i make on post-it notes!!! I wrote one the other day...it was about a banner add...well..i wrote "banner ad" instead of the propper "banner ad" it was just a little post it..reminding her what she was supposed to call soneone about..she would be the only one to see it..and she had to make it a point to show me that i screwed up!

Its hard to have every little mistake pointed out isnt it? SHe doest it to our customers too! Its horrible and Im ready to quit..I go to work happy and leave feeling like a completly stupid schmuck! But then i realize its just her..and Im human so Im bound to make mistakes.

Look at it this way..you have 4 more months..just work hard and if your boss becomes a real butt then say screw it and leave..then he will realize just how much he needs you!

You are not stupid at all..we all make mistakes..and just because some of us make a few more then others doesnt mean we are stupid.

Keep your chin up..you can make it through this and thats all there is to it. You are strong and brave..and SMART ok? pelase try hard not to doubt yourself..no amtter how sucky work gets and no matter how much it hurts to have a mistake pointed out...you will learn from them and becoame stronger and smarter!
    And now I\'m glad I didn\'t know
    The way it all would end the way it all would go
    Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
    But I\'d of had to miss the dance
    Garth Brooks

GRRR bosses can soooo suck! I'm so sorry you're going thrut his, you are soooo NOT STUPID! You ran that stinking place for what, like a couple months right? How can you be stupid? You dont' have to do everything perfectly to be good at your job, if your boss thinks he needs to speak condescendingly to you that's his own issues and has nothing to do w/ you. You can do it for 4 more months and then you'll have some experience and be able to apply at a job where they appreciate you adn treat you like a human being!

kmarie your boss soudns like a real peach too! GRRR!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Hey Heather,

Im sorry that work is tough like that. I know how it feels to feel like your failing at things, especially when the boss or overseeer is watching. I remember I used to play tennis, and I swear everytime the coach was watching, Id loose my nerve, and do bad, and I felt like such a failure, but really I think my nerves got in the way, I wasnt that good anyways, but that didnt help any.

Heather, your not a failure at all. Your doing the best you can, and Im sure the pressure you feel from him does not help at all any. Im sure you'll do great Heather, you just need encouragement that your doing a good job. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Heather:
    I feel exactly the same at my job. It doesn't seem like a hard job, and
    sometimes I really enjoy it, but it's hard to keep smiling and feeling good
    about everything when my boss only tells me what I'm doing wrong. It can
    really wear you down. But just remember that some people aren't good
    with encouragement. And you must be doing something right, since
    you're still employed there. Keep smiling, and do your best. And even if
    you do mess up every so often, remember that in a few months, you'll be
    out of there. And you'll have that extra experience.
    *hugs*
    <font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\"><font size=\"2\">Sometimes even to live is an act of courage.</font>
    —Seneca</font>

ONLY a receptionist?

don't think your job is any less important. Without you he'd be screwed right now. That's not such as easy job. and everyone learns at a different pace. he wouldnt have hired you if he didnt think you were capable! I agree that he's probably just having a hard time dealing with the store closing, but he shouldnt be taking this out on you. I give you alot of credit for sticking this out when most would just leave and not care.

its shown that people with anxiety issues actually tend to be more intellegent than others!! I learned this is pyschology. the only difference is that we use our smarts to notice nit picky details about our fear. think about what we could do if we focused that much attention on learning and stuff. Don't ever think your not smart, now you have proof!
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

maybe you could think of it this way -- u may want him to fire you, but he doesnt want to fire you, because your a gud receptionist!! yeah u make a few mistkes here and there, but doesnt everyone? im sure ur just beating urself down for no reason, mayb if i wrked at the place u wrk i cud give u proof that u ARE a good receptionist, which im sure u are [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Anyway, you've defenitely got the right attitude, and as Neha said, im sure you will make an excellent manager!!

just hold ur head up high and say " im the best i can be" and im sure what work u do, is just fine

Jen xxxxxxxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

Aww...you guys are great! *wipes away tears* I know it's only four months, but it's going to be four long months, if this keeps up. But I am doing a lot of work.

I should have clarified--the business itself isn't really closing-it's relocating to Florida, and I am not going to move with them. So before we close shop, we have 100 or so properties to sell. It's insane! I'm feeling a little more upbeat today, because I got a lot accomplished, and I don't think I screwed up too bad!