Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Weight Loss

Im trying to lose weight desperatley before the summer arrives. This is SO embarrasing, but I trust all you gals so Im writing it! I am 5 ft even....and I weigh 180 lbs....Im so ashamed of the way I look. My self esteem is non-exsistant, I don't even like getting out of bed in the morning or showering because I dont wanna see myself. Tomorro I have signing up for Curves....Im curious...has anyone tried it and does it work?? I really wanna get back to what I weighed 4 years ago (135 lbs) and I was wondering if anyone has any good tips on diet and exercize...maybe some books...I tried the South Beach diet and it worked WONDERS! Unfourtunetly, I dont have the time to be doing that now, and it gets rather expensive with all the food you have to buy....Anyone have any suggestions? I need help! Please!!!!

Good luck honey! I don't have anything helpful tto say but maybe you should have a look at this thread. It was a few pages back now but it might still have some good advice for you.

http://www.emetophobia.org/forum/for...sp?TID=10872&a mp;PN=5&TPN=1

Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

I go to Curves, and I think it does work! I also go to Weight Watchers and that is helping, too. I am 5'4" and 150 and would love to lose 20 pounds. Good luck!!!

Mary
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

I can help you if you need it! I started working out last april, and since then, Ive lost about 30 pounds.

the key is that diets DO NOT work. temporarily maybe. permanenely, most times not. This is because its a drastic change in your eating habits that is no fun to keep up.

I;m just under 5 feet ( 4 11) and I weigh about 100-105 lbs right now. Im petty happy with my weight right now and I dont intend to loose any more. I did it by counting calories, eating sensibly, controling my portions, and having my favorite treat once a week. I also started to work out - I started out walking for 40 minutes, 5 times a week, and now Im fit enough to do weight training, aerobic classes, and running 4 days a week for an hour or so. Ive fallen in love with exersize and Its totally addicting.

the most important thing piece of advise is to have small goals, be consistant, and change your routine every 3 or 4 weeks.

If you want some help I am more than happy to lend some more advice! ( I started a thread awhile back for weight loss and a bunch of people joined)

the most important thing to realize is that you CAN do it. It sounds horrible, but its not. I cant imagine ever going back to couch potato mode!
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

Hey Babydoll, that is great. I personally am in need of getting in shape. Argh. When did you find was the best time to go for walks? Did you in the morning or evening? Where did you walk (around the block or a park or something?)

I once tried jogging a mile 3X a week, and managed to keep at it for like a month, but for some reason it never really got easier. I'm not sure if I started out too hard or something? I would often feel kinda sick after. I mean I went from 0 excercize to doing that.

Did the walking really help? I've heard that its not enough, then I've also heard that its a great form of excercise. Did you notice you got more toned with it? I am curious because at some point I would like to do something. Its just hard for me to be disciplined about it I guess.

Its all in what works for you. What time of day do you feel the most energized? I know for me, mornings were a no go. I would come home after work, and before supper, Id go for my walk.

your question about walking is really only relative to the person who is working out - what level is their fitness at? You really can't expect to immerse yourself in an intense aerobic class if you are just starting out - its kind of a shock to the body. In my experience, I found at first, even walking for 20 minutes was hard on my legs, but.. over time you are able to do more and more. When an exersize becomes to easy, you need to add something to burn more calories.

I think you can only get so fit from walking... I think in order to get toned, you need to add weight resistance training, and cardio... but again, it takes time to build up to that. Im starting to get more toned now as I get more into adding weights to my workout.

Im thinking you started out with the running too soon. Why don't you try walking for 40 minutes.. and running for 5-10 minutes in the middle? add more as you can.. the body needs to warm up and cool down. also, stretch.. it will save you pain the next day!

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

Hi Babydoll,
    Yeah I figured with the running that I was pushing it too soon.
    I bet walking would be a good way to get started, especially seeing as I really have nothing that I am doing excercise wise.

I am also not a morning person at all. I couldn't do it after work as I work sorta second shift (2-10pm). I suppose I would have to get the motivation to do it before work, tho at work I am on my feet the whole time doing various things (cutting fabric, helping customers, ect.) I am not sure how good I would be at fitting it in while I am working this shift, since I wouldnt want to tire myself out before I go in. Hmm. Well at any rate maybe on off days or something I could, tho it would be only 2 or 3 times a week all days right in a row. How do you do with working out in the colder weather?

that doesn't sound like a fun shift to try and plan your day around!

I guess what it all boils down to.. is.. how much are you willing to give up to loose the weight? what if you went on walks during your breaks? or did 20 minutes before your shift and 20 minutes after?

I wouldnt advice doing your exersize on all days in a row.. your muscles need to recover from being worked, or you risk injury. I do mon, tues, break wed, thurs and fri, and then I take the weekend off.

right now Im lucky enough to have a free gym to go to ( benefits of being in uni!) so I don't have to worry about the weather, but I can imagine how that would make working outside hard.

have you thought about maybe buying some workout tapes? I have never done them but I think they are a great thing. I go to step class twice a week - and it is the most fun Ive ever had while working out - Im sure you can get a home version, and I dont think the step equipment is expensive at all. Also, its great, because you can level up your intensity as you go - with no steps to as many as you want.

I know gym memberships are expensive, but I also think its the best thing you can do for yourself.... so, again, I think its all up to you Edited by: Babydoll

Just dropping in for a second before I get back to work-

I started going to a personal trainer a few weeks ago, and it has been fabulous. I have only lost about 5 lbs, but have lost about 2 inches on my waist, my legs are firmer, and my arms actually have some definition. I dont have much to lose, so the weight I lose is pretty insignificant- I just want to lose inches and get toned, and it's definitely happening

I made the previous mistake of only doing cardio- which is okay, but as soon as you stop the workout you stop burning calories. My personal trainer intrioduced circuit weight training to my workout, and I am definitely seeing an improvement. With weights, you continue to burn calories AFTER you're done the workout- that, and the more I do weights, the easier the cardio becomes!

Goodluck to everyone!

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks everyone!! Your advice has been very helpful!

My twin and I went to curves. It really didn't work for me unforunately. I was dedicated too. I went at least 3 days a week. Maybe I should have worked out harder while I was there. There is some website that someonegave me a couple of years ago and I can't remember what it was. Anyway, whatever that weight loss plan is that you can have so many points per day to eat, this girl has developed a website with all of the food and points on it. If you can figure out how many points that you can have per day, this website tells you all of the food and stuff without you having to pay the money. A lot of people have said that it is the only thing that has worked for them. Maybe somebody out there has heard of it.

I never used to like working out, but I did it to try and loose weight. Last fall I weighed 140 lbs. I was devistated because I have pretty much always weighed 130. I started with Weight watchers, and lost 6 lbs. It was hard for me cause I LOVE to eat!! I would do alot of running at the gym last winter and a little bit of weights. Then I started training for a half marathon and was running 5 miles 3-4 times a week. That is extreme, but I had nothing better to do!! LOL I then started adding weights in about 3 times a week and I was so addicted to working out and watching what I ate!! When I found out I was preg, the dr weighed my and I had lost the 10 lbs!! I was so happy!!

Good luck to you!! I know you can do it. It might not seem fun in the beginning, but you will learn to love it!! Remember that muscle burns more calories than fat, so get on those weight training machines!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think the counting points thing you are talking about is Weight Watchers! I do it, and so far, it's working! 10 down, 20 to go! :-)

Mary
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."