Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Last edited by mac41090; 08-23-2018 at 11:32 PM.

i dont think so. i havent v* in all my 20 years ( except when i was an infant). I feel that if i was to get sick and do the dirty deed, i might get worse...

just my opinion though

Last edited by mac41090; 08-23-2018 at 11:32 PM.

i think im afraid of it because of what i see that it does to people. I think its the actual process of throwing up that freaks me out than actually seeing a puddle of vomit. i choked once when i was little and i almost threw up because i was gagging so much and i went into a full blown panic attack and went to the ER. I never threw up and after that, i decided i just wasnt goin to eat anymore ( which lead to countless weeks in the hospital for anorexia) of course now i eat, but since that day, i will NOT throw up. * knock on wood*

My mom and friends think if i just let myself do it ( because i have felt i think what it is like when you come close, i had food poisoning) that i would feel better and i wouldnt think it was so bad. but im so afraid of it that i dont think it would help me that much.

welcome

Last edited by mac41090; 08-23-2018 at 11:19 PM.

Hey

I'm going to try and explain something but I apologise if it doesn't make sense. What I try to do is think of it that getting sick would just be 5 minutes of my life. Think that you might not get sick for another 10 yrs, now whatever happens you are still going to throw up do you spend the next 10 yrs worrying every single day or do you try and get on with life and worry when it happens?

Also I don't believe that throwing up cures our fear and I don't believe you have to throw up to be considered cured. But when my emet was at it's worst and I felt sick and the anxiety sucked so bad I would think.....if I get sick this will all end, all my phobia will go away and I can get on with my life. All I need to do is throw up. Just by thinking that it reduced my anxiety. Just by thinking....good, bring it on, I'm going to throw up and get on with my damn life, f*ck you emet it gave me power and strength which in turn made me feel better.

Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

V* has definitely not cured me. I have had two sv* in the past seven years and v* with both of them. At first, I felt like, Wow! I did it! But by the day or two after, I was absolutely petrified again.

Not likely. The sickness itself doesn't seem to be the entire phobia. a lot of it seems to be anticipation of it. I've had my phobia since I was five and been slightly sick to very sick with sv*s several times since then. Hasn't cured me in the slightest and trust me, if it was going to the last time would have....

*graphic*

that time, the avg break for 5 hrs between finishing and staring up again ranged from 10-15 minutes. being sick itself sucked, but it was the 8 hours prior to actually getting sick that were really hell, once it had happened, i'd kinda resigned myself to just letting go, and my mom and grandma were both there to keep any eye on me. as much as it sucked, I really almost got used to it. i really thought i wouldn't have any problems after that, but it came back awhile later. i don't think it's "being sick" as much as "getting sick" for me, it's the anticipation part that really kills me, although the rest is never fun. either.

Last edited by mac41090; 08-23-2018 at 11:30 PM.

Last edited by mac41090; 08-23-2018 at 11:31 PM.

That is a good analogy. I had to lick the top of my mouth to see how it felt. Just tickles!

GRAPHIC - from here on down.

I have v* a number of times since really being an emet. I'm a late bloomer, I didn't become an emet until about 8 years ago & I'm 38. I pretty much can have n* & think "Oh no. Wonder if I'm going to v*", but then I usually don't. The times that I have - I have definitely KNOWN it was going to happen & it did.

If it helps (dunno if it matters) I've v* because of drinking too much in college. That didn't bother me, but I wasn't an emet then. I've v* once because of fp* that sucked! The rest have been sv*. SV* are what really SCARE me.

The actual v* doesn't scare me, because I don't think I have the mind control to stop it like most emets. And, by that time I'm just thinking about how s***ty I feel. It's the ANTICIPATION that I can't stand. "Am I sick? Are my kids sick? Is my husband sick?" I'm like that in other areas of my life too. I hate waiting for people to show up if they're late. I hate waiting for phone calls.

So, I don't know if this helps or not. If just v* gives you control, maybe it would cure you. That hasn't been my experience. I think it's more of learning to cope with the anxiety that anticipation brings on. We would like to be able to control with certainty the outcome even if it is bad. It's just not being able to know ahead that drives us nuts! Me anyway.

Susan
    When you come to the edge of all the light you have known & are about to step out into the darkness, FAITH is knowing there will be something for you to stand on or you will be taught to fly. -Unknown

ive been an emet since God knows when, though i just found a name for it this year. i hadnt v* in over twenty years and had no desire to do it, although i knew i never would, because i have a cast iron stomach and have learned how to control and manipulate my stomach ( a lot of v* is in the mind).so i didnt stress over it much. well it finally happened this summer. now im totally over my fear, could do it again anytime with no anxiety whatsoever, and im sure it was because i got sick this year.

still hellaciously terrified of others doing it though. weird.
    part of the cure is wanting to be cured

Do you think we as emets have a different physical reaction to being about to v* and somehow can't tell if it's "the real thing" like other people can? I know I can't. But when I really do it, sure, right before it happens I know it's gonna happen. But then there are other times I'm sure it's gonna happen and it doesn't.
    That's what infuriates me! Many people think I am a hypochondriac but I say "Look, I feel right now the way you would if you were about to v*. How am I supposed to know if I really will or not?"

Yes, I'm very jealous of people who are like "I just v* and it's no big deal."

There are so many things about all of us that are similar! I find it comforting and now ask "Where am I going from here?"

Darth Vader -

Interesting signature. I think I agree with it too. Wow. I think that is great that it doesn't bother you now! That's awesome!

Do you know what about others v*ing that scares you?

- Susan
    When you come to the edge of all the light you have known & are about to step out into the darkness, FAITH is knowing there will be something for you to stand on or you will be taught to fly. -Unknown

It all scares the hll outta me, the anticipation, the n*, v*ing other people v*ing you name it I'm scared of it. I hate it too.

I'm looking forward to a life with no sickness or pain, and then I will be cured.

Its for me totally the wondering if I will or not. I have thought about sticking my finger down my throat to make myself do it, but I know it won't cure me, because although v* is horrendous, the n* and anticipation is the worst part.

Dbacks,
    I know this is way off topic but are you in Arizona?
    Just curious because of your name.[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

No...I was sick with stomach virus about 2 years ago. I remember feeling very relieved after I started feeling better but it came back full force later.

I am doing a lot better with it though. I dont know how I will be when I am faced directly with it...like if one of my kids get sick but I believe I will handle it better.

Quote Originally Posted by turtleiam

Darth Vader -

Interesting signature. I think I agree with it too. Wow. I think that is great that it doesn't bother you now! That's awesome!

- Susan

Quote Originally Posted by turtleiam

Darth Vader -

- Susan

oops sorry about that last post...

i think what scares me most is being in close quarters with someone who does it, such as at work especially if its a customer and ill have to clean it up. yuck. it freaks the hell out of me when a client says they feel sick, or looks pale. i go into major panic mode. it affects my whole day and my effectiveness on the job.

something else really wild- i have no prob with my kids doing it. i'll hold their hands, clean it up etc. with no anxiety. i guess fatherhood kicks in. so i guess im a really mild emet in some aspects, but a full blown one in others. weird. maybe a therapist can sort it out...

Last edited by mac41090; 08-23-2018 at 11:26 PM.