Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: How often?

I've always heard of people just suddenly throwing up without warning,
    and they never felt sick beforehand--it just happened. I don't
    know about you, but that scares the absolute sh** out of me!

I mean, how can you throw up without feeling sick first? Is there
    really no warning sometimes? Like one minute, you'll be walking
    along just fine and the next, a wave of nausea hits and you're
    puking?

I'm shaking now, just contemplating that. I've had waves of
    nausea (or what I think was nausea) come over me out of nowhere.
    Oh God. I'm so bad right now that I'm panicky. I'm turning
    into one of those sensitive people that I swore I'd never become.
    Dear Lord. I can't take this anymore.

But anyway, have any of you just v* out of nowhere before? And
    for those who have gotten sick recently, what exactly DOES nausea feel
    like? Did you get a tingly sensation in your mouth and tongue and
    have it get watery? What about dizziness? Or are those
    anxiety symptoms? Do you always have to have a stomachache to
    feel nauseous? I just want to know if what I'm experiencing is
    the real thing or just anxiety?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Well, I haven't been sick for a while, so I can't help you with wether what you're feeling is "real" or not, but I often feel the way you do and it feels just as real at the time, so your feeling are valid, but to put your mind at ease you're likely going to be okay. I will tell you that the few time I actually did v* I know beyond a shadow of a dobt that it was the real thing. That knowledge give me comfort when I'm scared and wondering. Hope this helps, feel better. Remember, this too shall pass.

I meant I knew, not I know. Sorry!!

my mouth and throat gets all tingly and tight when Im anxious. im pretty sure its just anxiety.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

Hi Heather,

I know exactly what you mean! It does scare me too that it can happen out of nowhere!

The two times in my life that I have vomited it wasn't suddenly. And I think with most emets it won't be. This only happens to people who don't care if they vomit or not, because they are not as consistenly focused on their body as we are. They are probably also people who vomit easily.

And what about thedifferencebetween real nausea and anxiety nausea:I think part of our anxiety is that we imagine all the real nausea symptoms. So it is difficult to describe what is different.For the last 7 yearI have felt anxiety nauseaevery day, and it never was real nausea, so I am starting to trust the fact that I won't vomit from this. I figure I will know when it is different.
    Margaret

*Even a thousand-miles journey starts with a first step*

The times ive actually been sick i could definitely tell i was going to do it about 10 minutes before, i cant explain the feeling, im not sure i remember it. Thats why i still think im going to be sick when its probably jst anxiety, because i cant remember the feeling of real nausea like that..?

Hope that made sense?

Sarah xxx
    I couldn\'t tell you why she felt that way... she felt it everyday and i couldn\'t help her... i just watched her make the same mistakes again...

It is scarry and probably not worth thinking about too much. But all emets only v* for a reason as we usually have strong 'resistence'So I wouldnt worry that all of a sudden you are going to v*. But you can v* with hardly any nausia beforehand, but I'm pretty sure that you would know it was going to happen. But thinkign about it. Its ebtter i na way not to have hours of nausia that would send us panicing before we v*, and that we just get it over and done with in 10 mins.

Its very scarry but if you see it in another way t doesnt always seem as bad

heya,

well iv certainly never come across that before... just someone suddenly v*ing without ne "warning" unless they were intoxicated or smthing!!

as for the real nausea thing.. im with Sarah, i cudnt really explain to you what it feels lke, you just KNOW its the real thing.. thers no doubt in ur mind.. i dont say " this cud be anxiety" because u NO it isnt.

you know how, when we're anxious, our stomach sumtimes does little turns and twitches and groans?? well wen its proper anxiety.. ur stomach does HUGE turns that u just cannot mistake for anything else.

iv never noticed that salivating increases wen ur about to V*.. will look out for that one. as well as that i find a sypton of anxiety nausea is dizziness, but a sympton of real nausea is just feeling very very light headed and feeling lke u cud float away...

i hate that feeling.

Jen xxxxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have felt anxiety nausea every day, and I have not yet v*ed from it...knock on woood...the last time I did v* it felt distinctly different from the nausea that I feel everyday, so that is how I know that it is anxiety nausea, not the real deal...I think that the v* type nausea is, for me, more like a painful nausea, sorry I can't describe it better.

I have always known I would vomit before it happened, and have been able to get to the bathroom in time. Some people have very sensitive gag reflexes and they don't have any warning, but that prob. is not true for most emets. My sister-in-law recently was sick w/ a cold and she was coughing so much she threw up all over herself. My brother couldn't understand how a grown-up could do that!

If it hasn't happened to you, it probably won't. There have been many times I felt sick and sometimes I think it is mind over matter. Some prefer to v* rather than feel ill, like my husband, he can make himself do it and he feels much better. Me, I prefer to feel sick for weeks rather than v*.

I am someone who too lives with a lot of "anxiety nausea" - and sometimes its hard for me to tell when I am really nauseous. One tell tale sign for me is when I am anxious - I tend to get a lump in my throat. This lump is what makes me feel sick because it bothers my gag reflex.

I have learned over time that if I tell myself that I have the lump and that lump is what is making me feel sick - most of the time I can talk myself down from the panic. Hope that helps!

Jessica[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

ah, I know some people who do the spontanious throwing up.

Usually they simply don't care about such things or are generally...incontinent. One of my friends did this in my CAR.

So then, if it hasn't happened to you by now, then I don't see why it would now. A person gets stuck in their ways after a while!
    what a horrible night to have a curse.

I don't like people that throw up everywhere at parties.. and
    start laughing.. ew what idiots!