I feel your pain. I got an email from my mom on Wednesday afternoon. She told me that Mittens, the cat we adopted when I was 7 years old (and when my parents were still together) passed away. She had kidney failure and she was nearly 14 years old. I couldn't stop crying that night...she was the sweetest cat in the whole world. Always wanted to climb up on your shoulder and wrap herself around your neck, like a scarf ^_^...she is definately missed. I know I'll be in horrible pain when my little kitten passes on, but hopefully it won't be for years to come, seeing as he's only 10 months old. Our older cat is nearly 13 years old and she's showing the signs of kidney failure...so she'll be lucky to see another year pass by. It's so sad when our pets go. But just know that your cat is in a place where he can never be hurt by anyone or anything again, he's safe now, and probably misses you as much as you miss him.

Word of advice though...I would not recommend letting your animals outdoors anymore. Now that you know first hand of the dangers, they're much better off indoors and they will also be much healthier in life by not going outside.