Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Has anyone else suffered from eating disorders along with their emetophoboa?

As a child I had anorexia nervosa - because I was frightened of being sick. My parents thought I thought I was fat! I've had it numerous times over the years- the most recent being July last year (2003) and it seems to be brought on by panicking - this last time was just after I moved out of home for the first time...

Showed my mum this website the other day and she couldn't believe it - she finally realised why I've suffered the way I have.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings - just wanted to know what other people thought!

Vixxxxx [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

when i was younger, doctors and my parents thought i was anorexic - they couldnt work out why i didnt wanna eat. They didnt understand the whole 'it might make me sick' theory. So i dont think ive really had an 'official' eating disorder - but i would say i have had eating disorders related to emet - just where i wouldnt eat incase it made me sick - so that needs a totally different name to anything like anorexia or bulimia.

Well, isnt anorexia when you ARE thinking youre fat? Not eating due to
    being afraid isnt anorexia. I do the same thing all the time, starve
    myself out of fear.

when i was 11, i got horribly thin cos of emet.

but now, i have anorexia. not because im scared to eat cause of being sick, but because of it making me fat.

Jen xxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It seems that anorexia and emet go hand in hand...I read somewhere that they do. Personally, I have always been underweight so I have never had to deal with an eating disorder. But then again I am only 13 [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

emet and anorexia do kinda go hand in hand... cause one sympton " weight loss" or "underweight" they have in common.

but the main difference is, EMETS dont eat becuase they're scared of being sick. they also dont count calories, or OBVIOUSLY, make themselves sick, or starve themselves for days on end or whatever...

those suffering from eating disorders, do.

so, i get quite angry wen ppl think im just thin cause of emetophobia .. they dont seem to wanna understand all tht general anorexic stuff going round in my head!!! just dismiss it. pfft.

Jen xxxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anorexia and anorexia nervosa are TWO different things actually. Very much related but different. Read up on it online because I cannot explain it. I forget where I read this but try to google it.
    <font size=\"2\"><font color=red>aol/aim screename: kraziqtashes&lt;br&gt;
    dontwannabeme17
    </font></font>

mystikal has a point....

someone can be considered anorexic, but not hav anorexia nervosa, because they dont have the "Mental side".

this anorexic individual is just underweight.

*goes off thinking*

Jen xxxx

MSN:

hrmmm I'm a pych major and didn't know anorexia and anorxia nervosa were two diff things. you learn sometihng new everyday
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

I suffer from horrible emet, but somehow have managed to still struggle with weight in the too much of it department. Is there anyone else here like me? I feel like everyone here seems to be underweight and not wanting to eat, which seems to make more sense, but somehow it doesn't work that way for me. I just love to eat junk is the main reason, but sometimes I'll even eat just because I'm thinking that if I want to eat then I must not be sick, because when I'm sick I don't want to. Does that make sense?
    ***Jackie***

YES buttercup that makes perfect sense!

i used to analyse myself lke this: imagined a piece of chicken, if i felt i cud eat it, then im not really ill, if i cudnt imagine eating it, then i was!

so that makes perfect sense to me!

Jen xxxxx

MSN:

The word 'anorexia' is actually the medical term for loss of apetite. It is sometimes written in a person's medical notes that they suffer from 'anorexia' following surgery, or due to a drug reaction, as a result of a stroke, or any number of things. It is NOT anorexia nervosa, which, as far as I remember from my student nurse days (18 years ago!) is specifically linked to an altered body image. I suppose, technically, some emets may suffer from 'anorexia' in that they do not want to eat, but the cause is not altered body image, so it's not anorexia nervosa.

I am also an overweight (actually clinically obese) emet, Buttercup, so you are not alone in not having a problem eating - my problem is stopping! But I am going to Weight Watchers and have lost 3lbs in 2 weeks, so it's in the right direction!

Best wishes, Jill xxx

i was always extreamly thin with emet and people thought i had anorexia until i turned about 19 when i suddenly started to like food even though i still had emet but not quite so bad, now i worry about my weight and weigh myself twice a day even though ive lost a stone and half in the last year im paranoid that i will put it back on! as i never had to worry about my weight when i was younger i hate the fact that i do now! but my weight now goes up and down depending on how bad my emet is at the time!

I am severly underweight by about 24lb. I eat quite alot but I do get scared to eat sometimes becasue of emet, and tend to do things on an empty stomach rather than just risk it. But when I'm not travelling and its not late at night I do eat a fair amount. I think that my anxiety casues this weight loss too. I am also in the middlw of thyroid function tests. The thyroid releases your sleep hormone and they think that this may casue my insomnia and my weight loss but we'l have to wait and see.

I ahte being classed as anorexic as I dont have the anorexic mind of wanting to be thin. I also hate what comes attatched with it too. Its not something like emet, where you can keep it from people and walking around no one would know about it. I got a lot of problems of school, with people wanting to put me down, but I think these people have seen sense now and leave me alone!

eugh. its ridiculous. why do school kids feel the need to tease each other for how they look???

ANNOYING! wish they'd all jst groiw up lol

Jen xxxxxz

MSN:

i'm with you, buttercup. i've struggled with my weight for most of my life. I'd lost 50 lbs on weight watchers and then gained about 20 back and then got pregnant. I'm 7 months pregnant and at my heaviest ever, and feel like crap because of it. I'm looking forward to losing the weight again but on the other hand, I do so love eating........and I knowfrom past posts that we're not the only ones who are "overweight".
    <font size=\"4\"><font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\">It can, and does, get better with time.</font></font></font>

Thanks for making me feel not quite so alone, guys!! Good for you, Scampi, on the WW program. I too went on WW after my son was born and it is a great program. I reached my "goal" (not really personal goal, but WW goal) in record time, as I was taking ephedrine along with the diet. That was a bad idea because within a year I gained it all back and then some. I too suffer with terrible body image, and I would really like to do something about it, but I can't decide what is worse...beating myself up over an extra 40 pounds or suffering on a diet? I guess weight is a struggle for just about everyone in one way or another. I agree with Jen, I wish everyone would stop being so cruel and judgemental. School kids are definitly the worst, but adults can make you feel plenty bad about yourself too!
    ***Jackie***

Okay
    I definitely had and still have A LOT of weight to lose. After having 2
    kids, the pounds really added up! I have ALWAYS struggled with my
    weight since I was a teenager and its very hard. I have a big bone
    structure to begin with but I am doing very well. Have lost quite a bit
    of weight with what I am doing. If you are interested this is what is
    working for me.... eating CARBS in the morning, dont eat anymore after
    12 noon, stick to proteins and vegs for snacks and dinner and then just
    dont eat ANYTHING except for clear broth after 8pm! Its working well
    for me and I'm determined to stick with it! Also eating after 8pm has
    woken me up in the night with n and that freaked me out more than
    anything!! I dont get upset stomachs anymore either! I sympathize and
    empathize with you buttercup and elizabeth, what a struggle it is and
    people are way too damn judgemental, sickening isnt it??!

Miriam

</span></font>

Oh and buttercup I am also another emet who has struggled with her weight lol, welcome to the club, frusterating aint it??

Miriam

</span></font>

Yes, it is frusterating!!! I will have to try your diet. I'm in one of the not so motivated phases right now. My hubby could stand to loose too, but usually we end up dragging each other down more than helping. Ah, well, back to the fridge I go! LOL.
    ***Jackie***

Oh
    gosh my husband is the type that eats eats eats and gains nothing!!!!!!
    Bugs me to death and YEAH I know how it feels to be in those non
    motivated phases lol, I had to motivate myself though, my father is
    type 2 diabetic and I dont want that at all! However once in a while I
    am going to splurge, entitled to it

Miriam

</span></font>

Quote Originally Posted by Jenneh

eugh. its ridiculous. why do school kids feel the need to tease each other for how they look???

ANNOYING! wish they'd all jst groiw up lol

Jen xxxxxz

Isnt it annoying! I think that they do it probably to feel better about themselves. I've been doing alot of researching into bullying as its something I want changed. Most of the bullies dont have very good home lives or have had a rough past and I think that they enjoy putting people donw, so that theyfeel better about themselves that they arnt the only unhappy ones, and probably for the control of it too.

I jsut cant wait till we can all grow up and not care about eachothers apperances!

yeah Izzy, in a way its sad that the bullies are usually the one who's been bulied themselves, or as u say, had a rough past.... but i dont think that will ever excuse them, does it?

cause, iv not had the best childhood, do i go around bullying? no.

but im aware, everyone is different blah blah blah.

but yeah. wish they acted like adults some of the time tho!

Jen xxxx

MSN: