Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Hmm...

I found a news article just a few minutes ago that says we shouldn't be washing our hands constantly...because we could be washing off one of our skin's defense layers. I know pretty much all of us are avid hand-washers so this was interesting to read. Take a look and post your thoughts.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070205/...in_bacteria_dcEdited by: metallikat87

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GOSH DARN IT!!![img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img] As soon as I find something that work for me, they go and squash it, darn them

I don't actually think this article is referring to washing our hands often (which is recommended, because our hands pick up viral particles [which is not the same as bacteria]) However, we should not be using "anti-bacterial" soap when washing our hands. I think the article is discouraging so much showering - like daily, believe it or not. I agree! I grew up in a rather backward rural community in Nova Scotia where there was no indoor plumbing for a long time and we had just a bath tub and had to heat water on the stove. We kept ourselves very clean and smelling nice with one bath a week, and more than that seems excessive to me still. Every morning we woke up and washed faces, armpits and private bits with a cloth and small amount of water.

Showering removes all these lovely bugs that are crawling all over us all the time...that we need to stay healthy.

That's my thoughts on it anyway
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

That just blew my mind. I love showers. How could they betray me so?!
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

I agree sage. I think people are actually doing more harm than good by showering daily and being so clean. I think thats why kids get ill so often nowadays