Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I don't know about you guys, but since I was exposed to alcohol and have been legal to drink I have limited myself to ONE BEER. I know the odds of me getting ill from drinking are extremely low if i only have two or three beers, but I can't bring myself to do it. Sometimes I don't even drink at all because my emet is bad that day or whatever and I'm scared that my stomach won't be able to handle a DROP of alcohol.

I was just wondering if anyone else is a complete non-drinker or limits themself a lot due to their emet? Any experiences/stories as well that you want to share?

~Tamara

Edited by: tamzie_04

Im a non drinker ! Not really because of my emet but that certainly adds in to the reason. I have drank before, just Alize which my fiance loves! its an okay drink but in general i dont drink!

I limit myself to one beer, and I never mix my drinks. i did that once and I was sooo n* it was horrible...never again!

I usually have about 2-3 beers at one time. If I am out or on vacation,
    I may drink up to 6, and I have never had a hangover or been s* from
    it. I actually find that having 2 beers relaxes me if I am anxious.
    Also, if I feel n*, sometimes I will try a beer and it works a lot of
    the time.

I am with Susie Q on this one. I really only enjoy drinking beer, specifically Rolling Rock (If you have IBS but like to drink beer, I strongly recommend this beer because it doesn't give you gas, d*, or make you bloated like other beer). I limit myself to 3-4 at the most because I HATE feeling hung over. I know my limits now and I stick to it. I usually just drink on the weekends, not during the week at all usually. I also find that one or two beers totally calms my nerves.
    We have got to be able to laugh at ourselves about this!!

I am a non-drinker bc I dont really like the taste but also bc of my emet. For my 21 bday I had a sour apple martini and felt n*...prob from anxiety.

I am a 24 year old female and Im am terrified about drinking. I refuse to do it. Which works out good for everyone else around me because they always have a dd but I dont like to go to bars or clubs becuase I just associate them with sick people.

I don't drink a drop...almost 100 percent because of my emet, and the rest is because my dad was a raging alcoholic, and I have very bad memories of what alcohol did to my family when I was a child.

I, too, don't even go out to bars because I associate it with peopel v* from drinking...I could NEVER be a designated driver...My bf doesn't drink a drop either...he used to (socially) but knows how it affects me, and quit altogether for me, even though I never asked him to...what a sweet man, huh?
    \"Nothing sets your spirit free more than the free spirit of a horse.\"

Oh yes, one drink is my limit!

I actually drank a screwdriver one time, which I was sooo scared to do, and I was fine..Edited by: mommy2braylynn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i never drink. it's entirely because of my emet. don't get me wrong i have drank in the past but within the past 2 years my emet has been so bad i haven't even wanted anything. i had a sip of the champagne at my wedding and felt ill for the rest of the night, so apparently that was my sign that i'm not supposed to be drinking.

If i do drink...it's only one drink...haven't ventured out to drink more.....still kind of paranoid about that.
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

I have never drank an drop of alcohol in my life. even wine. I am just too damn scared too. I accidently drank a sip of a jager bomb one time at a club and I freaked out!!! I know that I will never drink and sometimes people give me a hard time about it or they try to pressure me to especially if we have just met. For instance, If I go out to a club or bar with friends (which isnt very often) and a guy comes up and offers to buy me a drink I will refuse it or say that I would like a coke or water. They are like "c'mon, have a little fun" and I tell them that I don't drink and they either think I am a boring prude or that I am a recovering alcoholic. lol

I very rarely drink, and if i do , I kep it to one or two glasses of wine. Most of it is because of alcoholism in my family, a little of it is because of emet.

Im nearly 18 and legal (UK) and have started drinking - although its only 1 smirnoff ice (vodka and lemon) per drinking session - might drink more than 1 on my birthday but then it will only be 2. I find im not too scared of drinking - but would never go over the top.

I'm the opposite to most emets..I drink frequently, probably 5 days a week, a couple of glasses of wine at a time. I love it, it's the only time my emet doesn't bother me. When I was younger I used to get "out of my head" drunk, and still never v*. I'm not advocating this, but moderate drinking is unlikely to make you ill. Don't feel you have to though, it's your choice, just try not to let your emet get in the way.

Ha! Mary, that's so funny what you said about people thinking you are an alcoholic....I used to get that ALL the time when I was younger if I went out with my friends!! They used to say, "oh. Why don't you want to drink? Do you have a problem with alchohol or something?" It used to piss me off that people thought that you had to drink to have a good time. Lots of times I was asked what i was drinking (usually a glass of OJ/Grapefruit juice mixed) because I always had such a good time and was the life of the party even without any alcohol that people thought I was drinking! I was always under the impression that if you never started drinking in the first place when you went out for a "night on the town" you would never "need" it to loosen up and have a good time...of course, I'm pretty outspoken and fearless in public situations anyway, which is soooo strange being an emet, isn't it??
    \"Nothing sets your spirit free more than the free spirit of a horse.\"

I drink but I practice the glass of H2O between each alcoholic drink rule. I never have been drunk and never will because I don't want to v*.

im different - i can manage about 6 or 7 beers and be absolutely fine! although, i am aware that i am running a risk!
    ISAIAH 41:10

Hi, Im the same as Suze, I love to have a couple of glases of wine, most nights,I find it relaxes me after a stressful day at work and stops me thinking about emet.

I too used to drink to major excess in my teens andhad some major banging heard but nothing else. I think its all down to each persons body make-up and knowing your limits!!

I sometimes have wine with food, I often have a couple of drinks when I go out, and I've been quite drunk a few times.

If I go out and all I can think about is "Oh I mustn't drink because so and so might happen" I know I won't have any fun. Not because of not drinking, but because I'm too busy worrying to have fun.

I've never v*ed from it, but did come close once. (I don't drink Jack Daniels anymore)

I don't drink much alcohol...when I do, I only have 1 or 2. Not really because of my emet, just because I've never been much of a drinker.

Recently, drinking has really been making me stressed, so I don't do it so much - maybe one beer every now and then. Last year, when I was in college, drinking was really fun, and I kept drinking more and more each time.. then it ended badly one night and I did actually v* (though I was so drunk I wasn't anxious at all!). But since then, drinking just hasn't had the same appeal.. it sucks, I do miss getting drunk, just not that drunk..

I posted a reply on the other site because there is a member there who frequently gets drunk (16 yr old) and posts all about it. It really does make me uncomfortable and I don't think this is the appropriate place to post your drinking experiences. I don't want to get in trouble or get anyone mad but I just think it is inappropriate. I never drink,, mostly because of emet and I don't like the taste.

i will only drink one...and slowly...my thoughts are...if i had a drink....and i get n...i cant take a anti n med because the effect it will have with the alchohol.

I don't drink beer but I do drink wine. I don't really like beer and it always makes me feel bloated. Carbonated beverages in general don't agree w/ me. However, I love wine. I never have more than two glasses though and I never ever get drunk. I may have a mixed drink every now and then also but there is so little alcohol in them that it doesn't really bother me. I have never been s* from drinking.

yeah - with regards to drinking. I make sure I do the following:

1) Eat a hearty meal before drinking - Usually for me, a whole pizza to myself! or a large portion of pasta or fries. Something that can soak up drink.

2) Drink 2 glasses of water before i go out drinking and a large glass when i return from where ive been - sickness will be caused 9/10 times by the dehydration!

3) Spread the drinks out over the evening - eg. have a beer at the beginning of the evening, one in the middle and maybe one towards the end of the night!

4) Stick to shots! I know it sounds stupid but if you have just 2 or 3 shots, you can mellow out and won't be sick - you need to have drunk a large amount to vomit it back up again!

5) Make sure that you have a lift home set up. When I on occassion have drunk too much and been a bit sick, i have had to walk home which i have hated - make sure you know who the designated driver of your friend is or have a cab and money prepared!

As they say everywhere, drink responsibly!
    ISAIAH 41:10

I drink regularly as well. I just know when I've hit my limit. Wine is my favorite but I also like mixed drinks. It's relaxing for me.If I am drinking, I do it over a long period of time. The last time I was drunk was my 21st birthday. (I'm 37 now) Even then I was not sick however, I never drank that much again. I don't worry as much about myself as other people drinking. I am the 'alcohol police' so I either try to cut people off or simply leave. I will even leave my own house if my husband is drinking more than I think he should. I'm constantly on the lookout for people who are drunk so I don't go out to bars ever it's too stressful for me.

I don't drink alcohol at all,i don't like the taste.

I don't drink because of me meds. But I love sex on the beach, screwdrivers, mudslide, and Sutter Home white zinfidel wine.
    Amanda

Proud mommy to:
    Michael (11)
    Bethanie (7)
    Peanut (EDD 14 March 2009)

I was a pretty heavy drinker for a few of my earlier college years. I've only had one v* episode that was directly related to my drinking, and the only reason I v*ed was because I ate fried food while drunk, and I didn't do my usual post-drinking routine (glass of water or Gatorade, piece of toast, 2 ibuprofen) before falling asleep. As long as you take care of yourself, there's no reason why you shouldn't enjoy some responsible drinking.

The best advice I can give you, if you want to give alcohol a try, is to stay hydrated. What makes you sick after drinking is dehydration, so drink some water between drinks. I'm a firm advocate of drinking Gatorade or other sports drinks with electrolytes AFTER drinking, before bed. Don't mix beer with liquor, and if you want to be extra safe, only drink clear liquors. Dark liquors are more likely to make you sick than clear liquors. Make sure you don't drink on an empty stomach, and eating a little bit of bland food before bed (like toast) can also help.

Honestly, I was more likely to get heartburn or acid reflux after drinking than to become nauseous.

It only takes one bad episode to turn you off from drinking completely, as an emetophobe. Like I said, I've only ever v*ed once from drinking. That was a little over a year ago, and since then I've been limiting myself to one drink per night, if ANY, because I'm not anxious to repeat the experience. Although, to be perfectly honest, it's probably for the best. My drinking wasn't exactly promoting a healthy lifestyle, and I'm a much happier person when I'm sober.