Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: What drug do you carry/take for v*?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zofran/Zofran ODT

2 6.90%
  • Compazine

2 6.90%
  • Reglan

4 13.79%
  • Tigan

1 3.45%
  • Phenergan

4 13.79%
  • Dramamine

8 27.59%
  • Emetrol

1 3.45%
  • Other

7 24.14%

I've been an emetophobe for over 20 years, and I'm trying to determine what treatment other emetophobes prefer to prevent V*.(primarily for SV) I've used compazine with success in the past. I've used phenergan with no success in the past.[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img] ...and I now have Zofran and Reglan, but I've never used either. Any info will help. Thanks.

I prefer to try and treat the anxiety causing my fears around being sick because I think taking anti emetics on a regular basis just tries to promote avoidance and doesn't deal with the real issue behind emetophobia.

I went through a phase where I took Reglan every 8 hours ever day for 6 months. I panicked every single day that they weren't working and that I would thorw up and then I had to wean myself off the need to take them!

Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

I voted Compazine as that is the drug I choose if I am moderately n*. However, Phenergan is the heavy duty stuff I use for the really bad n*. I've wanted to try Zofran because I've heard really good things about it. I think I even heard it doesn't make you so tired.

DRamamine baby!

I dont take anything. I too am working on avoiding 'avoidance' (did that make sense) Like hippy said![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I used to feel like I needed a benzo (like Ativan) or something like Zofran but not anymore. I am really working hard on trying to alleviate the anxiety caused by the phobia. It makes a world of difference!!

Compro Rectal Suppositories, but only when I think I'm gonna v*...
    </span></span>
    Facebook: Kayla Rose Matheney

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If i feel n*,i take a chewable pepto...if myn* is related to anxiety,i take a piece of xanax.

I do remember in the past when i was not diagnosed yet with my anxiety/depression/emet,that i took a capsule of compazine and broke it open and swallowed those lil pills inside,why? I was wanting the effect to act fast,real fast,and it didn't work,so now that iKNOW the n* was anxiety related,I think at that time my mind was not letting the comp work if you get what i mean. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

The only thing that I have ever taken for n* is Pepto. It has definitely helped on the few times I took it. I have never talked to a dr. about any prescriptions though.

I never take these medications for anxiety/panic attacks. At this stage, I've gotten pretty good at being able to tell when I'm having anxiety and when I'm truly sick. So, I carry several different meds with me to prevent n* and v*. I realize this is avoidance, but facing the fear has done nothing to help me. In fact, it's only made the problem worse. I went for 20+ years without v*... and though the fear was always there, I really got good at coping with it... and I took comfort in the fact that even when I did get sick... I usually would just feel terrible but never v*... but last year, I did actually v* and my fear is back worse then ever. So for me, facing the fear has not helped at all.

Anyway, I really appreciate you answering this poll and providing input... There is very little info out there comparing which of these meds works best... So, I am so thankful for all of you and your responses. I've always taken compazine in the past, but I'm considering changing to Zofran. Compazine makes me "twitchy" and I get very sleepy... also, it didn't work for me last year... and I don't have as much confidence in it...

Sometimes I take Pepto-Bismol but I usually don't take anything.

i carry stemetil and zofran but i havn't used either of them yet. and i hope i never need too. i have heard bpth of these are good for sv's
    ****** PROBLEMS CANNOT BE SOLVED AT THE SAME LEVEL OF AWARENESS THAT CREATED THEM...... Albert Einstein

I'm too afraid to take anti-emetics - I'm afraid I will have a bad reaction and v*!

I'm thankful for that little fear though, because I really wouldn't want to get 'addicted' and think that I need to have drugs with me all the time.

By the way, how do you all get ahold of these? I've only had an anti-emetic once, when I was in the hospital and had stitches in my stomach and they wanted to make sure I wouldn't bust them. Are these over-the-counter stuff or do you have prescriptions? And how do you get your doctors to prescribe them? You just tell them you're an emet? Don't they suggest therapy instead of avoiding the problem with meds? I'm just curious. I had never even heard of this kind of medicine until now (and realized that it was probably what they gave me back in the hosp.)

Zofran is the bomb! You don't get drowsy at ALL! My biggest problem with it is constipation for the next day or two, but I'll take it!!

BandNerd
    BandNerd

Bandnerd,

Has Zofran worked for the SV in the past for you? I actually always liked the fact that compazine made me fall asleep so that time would pass quicker, but I've heard that Zofran isactually betterfor preventing v*.

I don't have any prescription meds, but I think Unisom (doxylamine succinate) works best for n*, followed by Dramamine or Benadryl. It depends on how bad I feel. I also take ginger caps with whatever med I choose...those things are amazing! Emetrol is ok too, if I combine it with anti-emets - I've never had much success using it on it's own.

I've never used them before, but after my v* incident last November - which made my emet 50 times worse - I always carry Metoclopramide (Reglan, Maxolon in the US) and Buccastem (Compazine). I've only needed to take them a couple of times, but they are my 'safety blanket'!

im pretty sure these are prescribed drugs, so if a doctor knows you have emetophobia will they still prescribe these to you? for those who put "other", what are you using?
    "He has not learned the lesson of life who does not every day surmount a fear."

When I was pregnant the doc prescribed me phenergan and that worked...sometimes, if I took it in time...

I've never taken anything for an sv*. The last time I had one I was 15 and didn't have access to anything. I'm not sure if any of them would really help though...

I have some phenergan now...in my cabinet, I ordered them online at walgreens.com the pharmacy phoned the doctor for me. I don't know HOW that worked or if it would work again. I plan to keep some around the house. I just keep taking them to sleep though...they make you sleep so well.

I have tried, Compazine-no good for me, Reglan-works sometimes, Dramamine-LOVE IT, Phenergan-LOVE IT, Zofran- does not help with n* but stopped me from v* but I still felt like total s**t. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    Georgi
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.