Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: When it stops

I am new to this site and have been dealing with this issue among others for more then 10 years.
    My thought was does anyone else think that if and when you are able to stop thinking about being sick that is one you will really catch something?

No, you won't. Your mind doesn't make you sick, germs do. So if you are safe, and wash your hands alot, you will be fine!

I do realize that but it is still a thought i have. Almost like it would just be my luck to finally break the vicious cycle of being ill, anxiety, and then the depression. just to start over because i will catch something.

yeah, i understand. just try to think of it differently. i think the same way sometmimes and i just tell myself that i'm wrong. thats the only way to do it, or else you will constantly worry. i would almost rather be cured of this phobia and get sick every once in a while so that it doesnt rule my life EVERY day... ya know?

Hi Camelot,

I'm glad you found the site. I remember how thrilled (and touched) I was when I first realized I was not alone. I still feel that way, in fact!

I know it's hard to face, but the truth is that we could get sick whether or not we expect it. On the other hand, there's so rarely any need to worry that we waste our energy. Whenever I've been exposed, my mother reminds me that stress makes you more susceptible to germs. But of course I always worry anyway ...

Superstitions are difficult to break! I think all of us feel this way, Camelot.

You are definitely not alone.

~Madeleine

Seventeen-year-old Madeleine, from Rhode Island

Camelot, that's the worst fear for me and I daresay for most of us! That's why I'm not having treatment at the moment...I just picture myself eating chips after touching escalators and doors.... [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]